Sending Covered Grades

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anditsliverpool

Sending Covered Grades

Postby anditsliverpool » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Hey,
I frequent TLS as a guest but I have a dilemma that I figured I'd put to the forum.
So I go to a school that covers first-term freshman grades. They appear on my transcript as S for satisfactory. I know what grades I actually received and I have access to an Unofficial Transcript .PDF.
From what I know, my school is adamant about not sending these grades in any capacity.
Given that I'm planning an early graduation, I feel it especially important to disclose all grades to top law schools.
What should I do? Send a hard copy of the unofficial transcript? Write my grades and courses in an addendum? Forget the whole thing?
Thoughts are appreciated.

cinephile

Re: Sending Covered Grades

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 pm

What are you talking about?

LSAC only wants an official transcript. Don't worry about the unofficial one.

Law schools couldn't care less about your actual grades, all they care about is the GPA they can report, which is the LSAC one which is calculated from your official transcript.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 pm

That's one I haven't heard before.

If your freshman year grades help your GPA, you might as well include an addendum explaining it and a PDF of the unofficial transcript. Your official LSAC GPA, not including the hidden grades, will still matter more because that's what the law schools have to report for the rankings, but there's no harm in proving that even your hidden grades are good.

If they don't help your GPA, I'd just leave it alone.

anditsliverpool

Postby anditsliverpool » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Cinephile — My first term freshman grades don't get factored into my LSAC GPA so I figured that, in the interest of transparency, I would send the grades along.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:47 pm

If your school is adamant about never revealing those grades in any capacity, then I wouldn't send them.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:51 pm

anditsliverpool wrote:Cinephile — My first term freshman grades don't get factored into my LSAC GPA so I figured that, in the interest of transparency, I would send the grades along.

Why does transparency matter? The school doesn't care, they only want your LSAC GPA. Even if those 5 grades are all A+s, it's not going to get you in where you wouldn't get in otherwise. And the school doesn't want you to send it. This is a situation with a huge risk and no gain. Why do it when you can get sanctioned by your school and have zero to gain?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”