Deferrel vs. waitlist etc.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
az21833

Deferrel vs. waitlist etc.

Postby az21833 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm

So my top choice I am currently admitted it requires a deferrel request as of May 1st, its deposit deadline. It looks like the only two other schools I would consider over it I will end up waitlisted at. Will I need to withdraw these waitlists at the time I defer or can I defer and then switch over if I end up getting in off waitlist, similar to enrollment deposits?

PRgradBYU

Re: Deferrel vs. waitlist etc.

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 am

What?

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:56 am

az21833 wrote:So my top choice I am currently admitted it requires a deferrel request as of May 1st, its deposit deadline. It looks like the only two other schools I would consider over it I will end up waitlisted at. Will I need to withdraw these waitlists at the time I defer or can I defer and then switch over if I end up getting in off waitlist, similar to enrollment deposits?

defer tyically means you send in your deposit as well.
if you are willing to lose your deposit, you can probably ride the waitlists and then withdraw at the school to which you've deffered. although, not sure about the ethics behind this or if its even allowed.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:03 am

Some schools have deferrals sign a contract to attend next year. Some schools do not allow WL->accept to defer. You need to get in contact with the schools you're considering and ask about their deferral policies.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”