"LOR request unacknowledged"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PJENNEWE

"LOR request unacknowledged"

Postby PJENNEWE » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 pm

I have two questions about the LOR process. I am applying for the Fall of 2015 and I am gathering my LORs early so I don't have to worry about it come application time. My questions are the following:

1) My first professor who wrote, what I think will be the best, LOR said she got the email from LSAC. However, the website still says "LOR request unacknowledged." What does this mean? She saw the email and just didn't attach the letter? Should I resend the email even though it said she got it?

2) My second professor says that he would like a resume. I told him I can give him anything he wants yet I am a little worried that he is going to focus more on my resume rather than what I want him to focus on (my actual time in class with him). How would you guys handle this situation?

Thanks. I'm probably overthinking this. I just want the most solid application I can compile.

nickb285

Re: "LOR request unacknowledged"

Postby nickb285 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 pm

PJENNEWE wrote:1) My first professor who wrote, what I think will be the best, LOR said she got the email from LSAC. However, the website still says "LOR request unacknowledged." What does this mean? She saw the email and just didn't attach the letter? Should I resend the email even though it said she got it?

2) My second professor says that he would like a resume. I told him I can give him anything he wants yet I am a little worried that he is going to focus more on my resume rather than what I want him to focus on (my actual time in class with him). How would you guys handle this situation?

1. This just means that the professor has not yet logged into LSAC, even though she has received the email. If she's told you that she's gotten the email there is no need to resend it.

2. Assuming this isn't his first letter of recommendation, he probably just wants to get a sense of your background--professors know that the whole point of a LOR is to discuss your experience with the student. I wouldn't worry about it. If you absolutely cannot sleep because you're freaking out so much about your professor not knowing what a LOR is, send him the resume and mention in the email that you're hoping that he can provide schools with an idea of what you've done in-class.

PJENNEWE wrote:I'm probably overthinking this

Yup.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 pm

2015? Dude you are way late in the game... you might want to wait until 2016

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:25 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:2015? Dude you are way late in the game... you might want to wait until 2016

TITCR. Also, retake.

PJENNEWE

Postby PJENNEWE » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:2015? Dude you are way late in the game... you might want to wait until 2016

:lol: should have seen that one coming. I just figured that this was a better way of doing it: getting the LOR directly after I have the prof. Then they can give specific examples and I wouldn't have to worry about LOR while studying for the LSAT.

mls

Postby mls » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:55 pm

First, I did the same thing. Some of the letters in my file are 2-3 years old and I was sooo glad not to have to stress about LORs at the last minute.

Secondly, I'm thinking maybe you didn't have to ask for LORs for your college applications or any job opportunities? It is standard to include your resume, application materials, and a brief outline of what you want your recommender to focus on. And, if you're applying to a specific program/scholarship/job you would want to describe that too! I'm not kidding about this. You will get the best rec's if you e-mail your professor something to the effecte of "Thank so much for offering to write a recommendation. I've attached my resume, and a very rough draft of my personal statement, just for reference. I thought you might be able to speak to my strong work ethic and creativity since I completed the project on White Rhino mating calls for your class, in addition to participating in the tribal dance colloquium."

Basically, having your resume and personal statement (or short essay or whatever) will help the recommender see how their recommendation fits into the whole package. And a little statement about what you think they contribute can help ensure that they see it the same way you do.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm

PJENNEWE wrote:2) My second professor says that he would like a resume. I told him I can give him anything he wants yet I am a little worried that he is going to focus more on my resume rather than what I want him to focus on (my actual time in class with him). How would you guys handle this situation?

Totally normal. The person that I interned for for a semester also asked for a copy of my resume. And one of my professors didn't ask for a resume, but she told me to send her a one page statement saying why I wanted to go to law school and what I'd do with my degree and blah blah blah. And I had taken her classes for 4 semesters straight.

Also, 2015?! Really?

boosane

Postby boosane » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Exactly a month ago, I asked my professor if he could write me an LOR. He delightfully agreed and asked for my resume, transcript, etc. I handed everything over to him and I told him it should be submitted by Thanksgiving. It's been a month now and I'm getting worried. Should I remind him through email sometime next week?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:19 am

boosane wrote:Exactly a month ago, I asked my professor if he could write me an LOR. He delightfully agreed and asked for my resume, transcript, etc. I handed everything over to him and I told him it should be submitted by Thanksgiving. It's been a month now and I'm getting worried. Should I remind him through email sometime next week?

It's also nearly 3 weeks before Thanksgiving, which is eons in profs-writing-letters years. Profs are like most people: if you give them a deadline for something, they'll get it to you at the deadline but probably not before. If you wanted it earlier than by Thanksgiving, you should have given an earlier deadline. I wouldn't follow up until about 10 days/a week before the deadline, and then I'd couch it as "just a quick reminder that the deadline is..." rather than "have you written it yet?"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”