Applying late (now) because father is hospitalized

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nari Rina

Applying late (now) because father is hospitalized

Postby Nari Rina » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello all,

I'm currently applying to Fordham Law in NY (even though it wasn't where I wasn't planning on going to before), because my father is hospitalized near there. It would be more convenient to visit him there (rather than flying there from California). :/

I'm planning on writing a supplemental statement, to explain why I applied so late, but I'm not quite sure what to write. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Lincoln

Re: Applying late (now) because father is hospitalized

Postby Lincoln » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Will your father be hospitalized near NYC until 2016?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Lincoln wrote:Will your father be hospitalized near NYC until 2016 September 2013?

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:15 pm

I honestly hope not, but he's currently in a long term clinic for rehabilitation. He's currently a quadriplegic, but they're working on him to regain some motor functions. I think it'll take at least an year (2014) for him to leave the clinic, but they didn't really say. :/

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Nari Rina wrote:I honestly hope not, but he's currently in a long term clinic for rehabilitation. He's currently a quadriplegic, but they're working on him to regain some motor functions. I think it'll take at least an year (2014) for him to leave the clinic, but they didn't really say. :/

First, condolences. That situation sucks for all involved. I'd definitely write the addendum on these circumstances, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't substantially help improve your application.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm so sorry about your father. I wouldn't be able to study in a situation like that--any reason you can't wait a year or two to apply?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Nari Rina wrote:I honestly hope not, but he's currently in a long term clinic for rehabilitation. He's currently a quadriplegic, but they're working on him to regain some motor functions. I think it'll take at least an year (2014) for him to leave the clinic, but they didn't really say. :/

My brother is quadriplegic and in-patient rehab is usually a lot shorter than a year. My brother was in-patient at the best rehab hospital in America, and he was the longest one there after 4 months.

Depending on severity of the injury, they mostly just work around the injuries, but you'll be shocked at what he'll be able to do if he has some arm movement.

Don't plan your law school around this. Also make sure to support your mother, or whoever is going to take care of him after. It'll be a bit hard to adjust, but after a while it becomes pretty normal.

Good luck.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you for all your replies.

Desert Fox wrote:
My brother is quadriplegic and in-patient rehab is usually a lot shorter than a year. My brother was in-patient at the best rehab hospital in America, and he was the longest one there after 4 months.

Depending on severity of the injury, they mostly just work around the injuries, but you'll be shocked at what he'll be able to do if he has some arm movement.

Don't plan your law school around this. Also make sure to support your mother, or whoever is going to take care of him after. It'll be a bit hard to adjust, but after a while it becomes pretty normal.

Good luck.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Thank you DesertFox, that really gives me a lot of comfort.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”