waive ferpa right to see form?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mephistopheles

Re: waive ferpa right to see form?

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Davidbentley wrote:FYI,There is some real--quoted--joy to be found in this playa's post history.

yoshikart wrote:he nodded sternly @ me when I said happy holidays even though he smiled @ everyone else

ahhaa

yoshikart

Postby yoshikart » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
yoshikart wrote:how does a non-waiver tell the school that?

The school gets a bajillion apps. A bajillion-minus-one of them have a signed waiver with the dean's letter. One doesn't. If I'm that school, I'm assuming that either that one person did something squiffy that they were worried about the dean reporting, or that person didn't trust their dean for some weird, unfounded, paranoid reason. Neither sounds like my kind of applicant.

so what's wrong with asking the dean what he'll say, then waiving?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm

yoshikart wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

The school gets a bajillion apps. A bajillion-minus-one of them have a signed waiver with the dean's letter. One doesn't. If I'm that school, I'm assuming that either that one person did something squiffy that they were worried about the dean reporting, or that person didn't trust their dean for some weird, unfounded, paranoid reason. Neither sounds like my kind of applicant.

Nothing, except didn't they already tell you there was nothing to bring up on the form? So why do you need to ask him again, and why do you think that, if he's going to lie on the form, he'd tell you he's going to lie? But sure, you can ask him, as long as you avoid the crazy "have witnesses and challenge what he says!!" thing.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 pm

yoshikart wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

If OP asks this without witnesses, he apparently thinks the dean will lie about what he's going to say in the letter. (OP hasn't given us any reason to think that this belief is anything but tinfoil hat nutbaggery.)
If OP asks with witnesses present, he looks like a paranoid tinfoil hat nutbag.
Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

yoshikart

Postby yoshikart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:42 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
yoshikart wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

If OP asks this without witnesses, he apparently thinks the dean will lie about what he's going to say in the letter. (OP hasn't given us any reason to think that this belief is anything but tinfoil hat nutbaggery.)
If OP asks with witnesses present, he looks like a paranoid tinfoil hat nutbag.
Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

How would the school know about my conference with the dean before s/he fills it out? A sit-down with the dean to find out what the dean's see sounds pretty standard.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”