A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 am

jeffgarlin wrote:I don't add my total commute time to working hours and claim that's how much I worked.

This publication does.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby haus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:39 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
jeffgarlin wrote:I don't add my total commute time to working hours and claim that's how much I worked.

This publication does.

It adds it to the time worked, but not to billiable time.

I suspect that this is to serve as an aide to many who will possible entering I to their first real job. For some who only have had the experience of living on/near campus and stroll into class in a few minutes, may find their new logistics to be a bit of a pain. I saw this as my current job has about 3 hours of round trip commuting time per day. This time is not billed to my employer, but it is something I do for work, and is a big part of my planning.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 am

haus wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
jeffgarlin wrote:I don't add my total commute time to working hours and claim that's how much I worked.

This publication does.

It adds it to the time worked, but not to billiable time.

I suspect that this is to serve as an aide to many who will possible entering I to their first real job. For some who only have had the experience of living on/near campus and stroll into class in a few minutes, may find their new logistics to be a bit of a pain. I saw this as my current job has about 3 hours of round trip commuting time per day. This time is not billed to my employer, but it is something I do for work, and is a big part of my planning.


I'm just saying that if one of my friends were bitching to me about how she worked a 60 hour work week, and then I find out that 5 hours of that time was lunch breaks, 5 hours was commute time, 2.5 hours of that time was for miscellaneous breaks, etc. I would think she was being a bit dramatic.

User avatar
thisiswater
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby thisiswater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:50 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
haus wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
jeffgarlin wrote:I don't add my total commute time to working hours and claim that's how much I worked.

This publication does.

It adds it to the time worked, but not to billiable time.

I suspect that this is to serve as an aide to many who will possible entering I to their first real job. For some who only have had the experience of living on/near campus and stroll into class in a few minutes, may find their new logistics to be a bit of a pain. I saw this as my current job has about 3 hours of round trip commuting time per day. This time is not billed to my employer, but it is something I do for work, and is a big part of my planning.


I'm just saying that if one of my friends were bitching to me about how she worked a 60 hour work week, and then I find out that 5 hours of that time was lunch breaks, 5 hours was commute time, 2.5 hours of that time was for miscellaneous breaks, etc. I would think she was being a bit dramatic.


but they aren't including the commute in the actual hours. look at the numbers again.
2420 (time at work) -1832 (billed) = 588/47=12.5/5=2.5 which is the time they already subtract for lunch, breaks, email, meetings, etc.
the commute was just included to give people an idea of what the day might look like

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 am

Do people track their billables this accurately? I mean... working lunches kind of seem to solve this problem. I know at my current job people take 15 minute breaks but just bill that to the client... hmmmm, leave it to yale to shit on the rest of us

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Do people track their billables this accurately? I mean... working lunches kind of seem to solve this problem. I know at my current job people take 15 minute breaks but just bill that to the client... hmmmm, leave it to yale to shit on the rest of us


What if you eat and work at the same time? Can you bill it then?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 am

Crowing wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Do people track their billables this accurately? I mean... working lunches kind of seem to solve this problem. I know at my current job people take 15 minute breaks but just bill that to the client... hmmmm, leave it to yale to shit on the rest of us


What if you eat and work at the same time? Can you bill it then?


Sure, as long as you are thinking about work, you can shit and bill too.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby 06102016 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

..

User avatar
Remmy
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Remmy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Always funny hearing new associates ask if "X" "Y" & "Z" is billable.

Almost never hear those questions after the first day. Those that do ask it after day 1 usually aren't at firms for too long.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Remmy wrote:Always funny hearing new associates ask if "X" "Y" & "Z" is billable.

Almost never hear those questions after the first day. Those that do ask it after day 1 usually aren't at firms for too long.


Elaborate, I don't follow what oyu mean.

User avatar
Remmy
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Remmy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Remmy wrote:Always funny hearing new associates ask if "X" "Y" & "Z" is billable.

Almost never hear those questions after the first day. Those that do ask it after day 1 usually aren't at firms for too long.


Elaborate, I don't follow what oyu mean.


Everything is billable. People that are honest and self-cut time their time, don't pad their bills, or feel like some tasks may not be billable usually don't meet hours and are asked to leave.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Remmy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Remmy wrote:Always funny hearing new associates ask if "X" "Y" & "Z" is billable.

Almost never hear those questions after the first day. Those that do ask it after day 1 usually aren't at firms for too long.


Elaborate, I don't follow what oyu mean.


Everything is billable. People that are honest and self-cut time their time, don't pad their bills, or feel like some tasks may not be billable usually don't meet hours and are asked to leave.


Ok that's what I thought. I thought the first rule of padding is that you don't talk about padding.

User avatar
Remmy
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Remmy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Remmy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Remmy wrote:Always funny hearing new associates ask if "X" "Y" & "Z" is billable.

Almost never hear those questions after the first day. Those that do ask it after day 1 usually aren't at firms for too long.


Elaborate, I don't follow what oyu mean.


Everything is billable. People that are honest and self-cut time their time, don't pad their bills, or feel like some tasks may not be billable usually don't meet hours and are asked to leave.


Ok that's what I thought. I thought the first rule of padding is that you don't talk about padding.


Check out some of the bills that have been made public in the Apple v. Samsung case. Quinn spends like 200 hours on a 10 page motion...

Can't think of any other industry that has this business model.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Car mechanics.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby jselson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Car mechanics.


And people trust the two professions about equally.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Doctors are even worse. They don't even disclose what things will cost you.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Doctors are even worse. They don't even disclose what things will cost you.

We should start lobbying Congress for compulsory legal insurance.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Doctors are even worse. They don't even disclose what things will cost you.

We should start lobbying Congress for compulsory legal insurance.


We already do, and stupid public defenders still can't figure out how to scam it.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Doctors are even worse. They don't even disclose what things will cost you.

We should start lobbying Congress for compulsory legal insurance.


We already do, and stupid public defenders still can't figure out how to scam it.

:lol:

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 pm

We're all gonna die and we're gonna have nothing but a bunch of work hours accumulated.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby nickb285 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:We're all gonna die


Your avatar goes well with this statement.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:27 pm

nickb285 wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:We're all gonna die


Your avatar goes well with this statement.

That's the one where Homer gets a job with that tech company in Washington or something, right?

User avatar
Remmy
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Remmy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Just looked at a partner's billable time entry for yesterday:

Billing Rate: $750
Duration: 5.5 hours
Total: $4,125
Description: "Review documents."

He reviewed 3 deposition notices that were 2 pages in length...

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
nickb285 wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:We're all gonna die


Your avatar goes well with this statement.

That's the one where Homer gets a job with that tech company in Washington or something, right?


Yea. The episode is called "you only move twice". excellent episode!

User avatar
Remmy
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Re: A Breakdown Of The Billable Hour from Yale

Postby Remmy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
nickb285 wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:We're all gonna die


Your avatar goes well with this statement.

That's the one where Homer gets a job with that tech company in Washington or something, right?


Yea. The episode is called "you only move twice". excellent episode!


Great episode, great season. I miss the old Simpsons...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], KPUSN07, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests