Am I screwed???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LDVM4334

Am I screwed???

Postby LDVM4334 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:27 am

Applying only now within the next few days because of a LOR and transcript delay, which of course I waited too long to resolve.

3.27 LSAC GPA from an average state university
169 LSAT on my 3rd try (164/cancel)

Applying to: UNC, UFlorida, FSU, UColorado, Ohio State, Illinois, Wake Forest and Indiana....assume I'll be able to get into most if not all, plus $...out of state for all but have family in some of the states, leaning towards Colorado and UNC as top 2

Am I too late to get any $ even in this cycle? Will my #'s be enough to carry me? Thoughts will help or discourage me, but please share nonetheless.

Also, have a DUI from 7 years ago that I have to disclose but which I imagine won't a/effect much.

Yes I realize the schools are generally subpar and obviously not T14 despite my #'s, but given my pragmatism regarding myself, I feel I'd be better off excelling at a lesser ranked school with a large in-state presence than busting my ass on the hopes of being in the top 30% at a T20 or so.

EvilClinton

Re: Am I screwed???

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:41 am

LDVM4334 wrote:Yes I realize the schools are generally subpar and obviously not T14 despite my #'s, but given my pragmatism regarding myself, I feel I'd be better off excelling at a lesser ranked school with a large in-state presence than busting my ass on the hopes of being in the top 30% at a T20 or so.

I know that you think that law school grades/ranking works like this because you are a 0L, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Also, you are applying way too late to have a decent shot at any money anywhere.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:05 am

sit the cycle out. Fine tune your personal statement, and begin composing other statements for optional essays. Submit the applications on September 1st ( or the first day you can). Use this time to save money.

313DetroitLove

Postby 313DetroitLove » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
LDVM4334 wrote:Yes I realize the schools are generally subpar and obviously not T14 despite my #'s, but given my pragmatism regarding myself, I feel I'd be better off excelling at a lesser ranked school with a large in-state presence than busting my ass on the hopes of being in the top 30% at a T20 or so.

I know that you think that law school grades/ranking works like this because you are a 0L, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Also, you are applying way too late to have a decent shot at any money anywhere.

this information is wrong. Op apply away. I got a full ride in the 12 cycle after the Feb lsat. Colorado tossed me 20K repeating

w

born4law

Postby born4law » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 am

I have to agree with 313DetroitLove here: disregard any advice about sitting this cycle out. Get your butt working on personal statements, optional statements, and an addendum for your 3 LSAT attempts.

I applied very late this cycle and have already gotten a nearly full-ride scholarship to a very well-regarded T20 school (I was above the 75th percentile though for both LSAT and GPA). The timing of my app submission seems to have done nothing to deter the adcom from sending me a very tempting offer.

There's an on-going debate about what exactly applying early/late means these days over at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204618

Some say I've been lucky so far with that one school (they're the only decision I've yet received). Others say it might be the sign of a new trend that applying late isn't as detrimental as it once was. Either way, do you really want to sit this whole cycle out and delay another year of your life to start law school when you're ready to go now? The timing is even less of a factor considering your particular school list, so apply ASAP.

guano

Postby guano » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 am

There's no problem with applying late, but don't choose a lower ranked school expecting to excel - it doesn't work that way. More importantly, going to a lower ranked school means you'll have to bust your ass to be at the top of the class, as lower ranked schools usually have lower employment stats.

Choose the top schools in the areas you want to practice, then see what kind of offers you get.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 am

northwood wrote:sit the cycle out. Fine tune your personal statement, and begin composing other statements for optional essays. Submit the applications on September 1st ( or the first day you can). Use this time to save money.

This.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 am

If you don't mind paying the application fee / have a waiver, go ahead and apply now. You're chances might be hurt a little bit at $, really depends on the school. IF you don't like the offers you get, sit out this cycle and apply next cycle. Also, where do you want to work? You're school selection seems odd since the schools you picked are all over the country. Maybe some time off would also help you figure out what you want to do.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21 am

I think what you should do, is sit this cycle out. Its a bit too late, especailly for scholly's. Another thing.. while you are out at t-14 (except maybe e.d at virginia) you shouldnt be applying so low. Schools you should consider for:

Reach: Virginia (ed), UCLA, USC
Target: Minnesota, WUSTL, Emory, BostonC/U, ASU, and others in that range depending where you want to work
Safety: The schools you listed, plus American.

If appliable Addendum the GPA, because it is on the low side... but your high LSAT could get you into plenty of decent schools, dont settle for schools in the 40-50's when you have a good shot at schools in the 20's!

Also http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm and never forget the value that W.E, and your personal statement can give, make sure that your PS is top-notch, it CAN make a difference.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 am

yeah, I took all this into account. Generally I'm indifferent about where I want to practice, other than I don't want to live anywhere where it snows and/or Republican-dominated states (very important). Big cities, or at least the biggest cities, don't really appeal to me either, outside of DC I suppose because I am somewhat politically inclined. Warm weather, or warmer than the northern midwest at least, and states with growing economies are a plus.

Additionally, yes I realize that blah blah blah everyone thinks they'll do well in law school, but I'm a pessimist and generally pragmatic about my abilities. But I am quite confident I can excel in slightly lesser schools where I feel that excessive competition at the top schools I could get in would have a negative impact on my overall well-being.

Money is obviously an issue, but I have grandparents who should be kicking the can relatively soon and have a fair amount of $. Not enough to pay off an entire law school debt, but enough to make a good dent as my mother is the only other person who will inherit, and she'll have a defined-benefit pension in a fairly low tax state.

So yeah, I'm going for it I suppose. We'll see. If I am dissatisfied I suppose I will have to find a way to spend the next 18 months.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:29 am

Also, are there any other schools I should consider applying to now where I'd have a 50+% chance of getting in? I mean, I really do hate cold and snow and 225-250K+ law schools, but I suppose I shouldn't rule anything out other than Minnesota (too cold) or Michigan (my home state which gives no benefit to in-state applicants). Not that I'd get into either now, but nonetheless. The schools I listed are more or less the schools I "wanted" from the beginning, except for Texas which as an out-of-stater I probably wouldn't get in.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 am

You should really figure out where you want to practice. It sounds like you have given this no thought at all. You dont want to work in a red state but UNC is one of your top choices? Might want to do a little more soul-searching.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 am

NC is going blue sooner rather than later. I suppose it's less important than I said given that I listed no schools in strongly D states, but nonetheless. No heavy snow.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 am

LDVM4334 wrote:NC is going blue sooner rather than later. I suppose it's less important than I said given that I listed no schools in strongly D states, but nonetheless. No heavy snow.

It's really not, look at the state level. They have a very conservative Governor, the state senate is 66% Republican & the state house is 64%. However, there are some progressive pockets in NC including the triangle area and Asheville in Western NC. I am not sure what the state politics are like in Indiana, but I can't imagine they are anything other than conservative to very conservative.

In any event, I still think it is not too late to apply. Many of those schools would really love to have your LSAT and still be willing to give you $ for it.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 am

LDVM4334 wrote:Additionally, yes I realize that blah blah blah everyone thinks they'll do well in law school, but I'm a pessimist and generally pragmatic about my abilities. But I am quite confident I can excel in slightly lesser schools where I feel that excessive competition at the top schools I could get in would have a negative impact on my overall well-being.

One thing to keep in mind is that the higher up the food chain a school is, the less the competition may actually be. The better the outcomes are for everyone, the less people feel the need to try to outdo each other. Granted, people at the top schools are likely all highly driven individuals who want to succeed, but there's a difference between personal standards and actual desire to compete with others. It's also going to vary from place to place, so I'm not going to say that there aren't any snakepits in the top schools. But I don't think there's a direct correlation between ranking and competition. (The flipside of this, of course, is that basically all law schools grade on a curve, which means all law schools are in fact pitting students against each other.)

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:38 pm

deadpanic wrote:
LDVM4334 wrote:NC is going blue sooner rather than later. I suppose it's less important than I said given that I listed no schools in strongly D states, but nonetheless. No heavy snow.

It's really not, look at the state level. They have a very conservative Governor, the state senate is 66% Republican & the state house is 64%. However, there are some progressive pockets in NC including the triangle area and Asheville in Western NC. I am not sure what the state politics are like in Indiana, but I can't imagine they are anything other than conservative to very conservative.

In any event, I still think it is not too late to apply. Many of those schools would really love to have your LSAT and still be willing to give you $ for it.

Yeah, that was just a rash response after I read an article. The GOP upsets me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”