W&M (free) vs Berkeley ($)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

W&M or Berkeley

W&M
14%
Berkeley
86%

Total votes: 63

nmon

W&M (free) vs Berkeley ($)

Postby nmon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi all,

I can attend W&M for nothing, or Berkeley for about 15k/year out-of-pocket.

What say you, TLS gods?

FWIW, I'm looking for goverment work.

rad lulz

Re: W&M (free) vs Berkeley ($)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 pm

What is total debt at each and where do you want to work

nmon

Postby nmon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 pm

FLEP. Debt will only be difference in tuition/books/fees.

I won't be out of the military for another 10-15 years (looking for that retirement... if it's still around by then)

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Berkeley is way more fun of an area. W&M is kind of in the middle of nowhere. If your costs are going to be that low, and you might someday change your mind, I think Berkeley is the choice.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 pm

goldeneye wrote:Berkeley is way more fun of an area. W&M is kind of in the middle of nowhere. If your costs are going to be that low, and you might someday change your mind, I think Berkeley is the choice.

I'd chose "middle of no where" over "fun area." In the latter I would be too distracted. What's the point of being in a fun area when you're going to spend the majority of your time studying?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 pm

nmon wrote:FLEP. Debt will only be difference in tuition/books/fees.

I won't be out of the military for another 10-15 years (looking for that retirement... if it's still around by then)

Geez man.. 10-15 years? You sure you will still want this when the time comes?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
nmon wrote:FLEP. Debt will only be difference in tuition/books/fees.

Geez man.. 10-15 years? You sure you will still want this when the time comes?

your LSAT is only good for 5 years so.....

nmon

Postby nmon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm

All,
Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear, I'm accepted to both and will be a JAG if/when I graduate.

Berkeley is over my funding cap, to the tune of ~15k a year. Living costs are covered under FLEP. In 15 years when I'm looking to retire, will it matter? Should I take on the $45k debt for a Cal degree vs W&M? They have a pretty good loan repayment program, but it doesn't cover everything.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 pm

nmon wrote:All,
Thanks for the info.

Berkeley is over my funding cap, to the tune of ~15k a year. Living costs are covered under FLEP. In 15 years when I'm looking to retire, will it matter? Should I take on the $45k debt for a Cal degree vs W&M? They have a pretty good loan repayment program, but it doesn't cover everything.

45k in debt with a T10 JD.Go to berk. You already have a job lined up with JAG and T10 will only help your exit options.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

45k in debt with a T10 JD.Go to berk. You already have a job lined up with JAG and T10 will only help your exit options.

Saw this, and I was wondering after 15 years of law experience, would that trump where you went to school?

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 pm

hoogs23 wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Saw this, and I was wondering after 15 years of law experience, would that trump where you went to school?

0L, so I have no idea. I imagine the experience will be a major boost to potential employers, but a T10 can never hurt, right?

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm

After 15 years, where you went to school will be a secondary factor in your next career move, far behind your job performance, your experience, and your network. Go to W&M, dominate like most FLEP students do here, and have no debt whatsoever.
W'burg is not the Bay area, but it is a very pleasant place to live, if you're looking for that.
Just an alternative perspective.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 am

Didn't know you would be going into the military AFTER you graduate. If the job is already lined up, go for free. I envy you dawg, congrats

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 am

AP-375 wrote:After 15 years, where you went to school will be a secondary factor in your next career move, far behind your job performance, your experience, and your network. Go to W&M, dominate like most FLEP students do here, and have no debt whatsoever.
W'burg is not the Bay area, but it is a very pleasant place to live, if you're looking for that.
Just an alternative perspective.

this.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

As much as I would love to say I graduated from a T10, if I had a guaranteed job lined up, I would not pay 45k just to be able to boast to friends or have relatives boast about where I went to school. (Well...Maybe for Harvard :D)

matrim

Postby matrim » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

Thanks for the info.

Not sure what kind of FLEP you are doing, but most services of the military DONT allow you to cover the difference of the Cap and actual tuition because it would then not be "funded legal education program" ...ie FLEP. What branch of service are you?

JCGibson10

Postby JCGibson10 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

matrim wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Not sure what kind of FLEP you are doing, but most services of the military DONT allow you to cover the difference of the Cap and actual tuition because it would then not be "funded legal education program" ...ie FLEP. What branch of service are you?

This.

I know, at least for the Army, you are strictly prohibited from paying anything out-of-pocket. S'pose it may be different for Air Force or Navy.

nmon

Postby nmon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 am

matrim wrote:

Sorry, but don't want to put myself out there too much. Suffice it to say that my branch WILL let me do a cost share for the difference. My funding from Uncle Sam is ~$30k/year. Feel free to PM if you would like more info about the particular program.

JCGibson10

Postby JCGibson10 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 am

nmon wrote:
matrim wrote:

Sorry, but don't want to put myself out there too much. Suffice it to say that my branch WILL let me do a cost share for the difference. My funding from Uncle Sam is ~$30k/year. Feel free to PM if you would like more info about the particular program.

If you haven't already, I would try to bargain with Berkeley. Explain the FLEP program and how you really want to go there but may not be able to because it's over the cap limit. See if you can get them down to 30K.

If not, I think it's really all about your financial situation and long-term goals. If you want to settle down in CA and practice law (after your military service), then it may be worth it to pay out-of-pocket. If not, go to W&M and crush it there.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 am

JCGibson10 wrote:
nmon wrote:
matrim wrote:

If you haven't already, I would try to bargain with Berkeley. Explain the FLEP program and how you really want to go there but may not be able to because it's over the cap limit. See if you can get them down to 30K.

If not, I think it's really all about your financial situation and long-term goals. If you want to settle down in CA and practice law (after your military service), then it may be worth it to pay out-of-pocket. If not, go to W&M and crush it there.

Isn't tuition at Berkeley like 55K/year If you're only getting 30K/year, that'd leave 25K/year in tuition alone, not to mention COL. Am I missing something? Did Berk give you a scholarship?

What are your other options? I am assuming you have applied to more than these two schools. Is there anything between these two schools? Have you tried to negotiate scholarships?

I can see both sides of the argument here. I mean, if you have a job lined up, why pay any $ for school if you don't have to? OTOH, your degree follows you around for the rest of your life, and law is a very prestige-driven field and is getting moreso by the day. Sure, your experience is more important, but the degree from a top school is a further plus. Plus Berk gives you more geographical diversity. I think I'd take Berk at 45K (if it is really only 45K) over W&M personally.

nmon

Postby nmon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:02 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
JCGibson10 wrote:
nmon wrote:
matrim wrote:

Isn't tuition at Berkeley like 55K/year If you're only getting 30K/year, that'd leave 25K/year in tuition alone, not to mention COL. Am I missing something? Did Berk give you a scholarship?

What are your other options? I am assuming you have applied to more than these two schools. Is there anything between these two schools? Have you tried to negotiate scholarships?

I can see both sides of the argument here. I mean, if you have a job lined up, why pay any $ for school if you don't have to? OTOH, your degree follows you around for the rest of your life, and law is a very prestige-driven field and is getting moreso by the day. Sure, your experience is more important, but the degree from a top school is a further plus. Plus Berk gives you more geographical diversity. I think I'd take Berk at 45K (if it is really only 45K) over W&M personally.

Cal gives instate tuition for active military, minus health fee (still will be covered) puts it at about $45k/yr. COL is covered through salary/allowances. Allowances are different depending on the area to offset COL, ie housing allowance is much higher in Berkeley.

No trolling here, just would like the insight on the question as posted. W&M for free or Berkeley for $45/yr (if no scholly). Cal hasn't releases financial aid info, and won't until ASW. Not expecting much since I will be making more than the average law student and my numbers aren't amazing.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Dude, the Berkeley bump is definitely worth 45k. Especially since you have a GUARANTEED JOB WITH LRAP lined up. (Im fairly sure JAG is eligible for LRAP, correct me if I'm wrong). if you go to W&M instead of Berkeley over 45k you'll regret it for the rest of your life/career.

North

Postby North » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Go to Berkeley, dude. IMO it's easily worth 45k in the first place, and you don't have to worry about post-grad job security like the rest of us.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”