internship or no?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
caruiz93

internship or no?

Postby caruiz93 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:40 am

I was planning on spending this summer (summer before my junior year) studying intensely for the LSAT in october. However, the possibility of an internship at a laws firm popped up. i already have a full time job which i cannot afford to cut back on, so studying for the lsat was going to be like another job. An internship would mean i would have a much more limiter amount of study time and i would have a crappy summer juggling it all. Would the benefits of an internship as an undergrad be beneficial enough for law school apps and be worth the stressful summer and less lsat study time?

Re: internship or no?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:44 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:44 am

No, no law school cares, at all, about any internships.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Your internship will have no effect on a school's ranking on USNWR. Your LSAT will.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm

stillwater wrote:No, no law school cares, at all, about any internships.

My entire JS1 was spent talking about my internship in the Senate.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Cicero76 wrote:

Your internship did not get you your JS1. HTH.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:07 pm

stillwater wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:

I never said it did. Your quote was "no law school cares." That's what I was responding to--numbers might be the sine qua non, but to say that no law school CARES at all is pretty disingenuous.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:

I never said it did. Your quote was "no law school cares." That's what I was responding to--numbers might be the sine qua non, but to say that no law school CARES at all is pretty disingenuous.

for the purposes of admissions, they don't care. it would be misleading, with respect to OP's particular question, to say it mattered especially since it could impact more important considerations. obviously it is nice to have something to talk about - LSAT/GPA don't usually lead to riveting stories. it is like any other item on a resume, great to talk about but hardly going to help with your admission to school.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:37 pm

stillwater wrote:Your internship did not get you your JS1. HTH.

Could have easily got him his JS2.

@OP if you are set on going to the best law school you can get in to you'd be better off taking the internship and getting a year or 2 of WE, then applying. K-JD won't hurt you much, but having some experience and talking points does help. If you are dead set on going K-JD and you're therefore taking the oct LSAT, then you should ditch the internship and just get your best possible score.

Best long term solution is internship + lsat in a year or two though.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 pm

mrizza wrote:

There is nothing about the internship itself that would get him his JS2. It would be that he could discuss something without coming off like a total weirdo or imbecile. As long as your resume isn't bereft of anything, then there is nothing about the internship itself that is remotely special or interesting or necessary.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm

stillwater wrote:
mrizza wrote:

There is nothing about the internship itself that would get him his JS2. It would be that he could discuss something without coming off like a total weirdo or imbecile. As long as your resume isn't bereft of anything, then there is nothing about the internship itself that is remotely special or interesting or necessary.

So you have to have some softs, but this particular soft is a bad soft? The point that I'm making, and you're agreeing with, is that you do need stuff on your resume. For all we know his resume is currently a clean slate minus full time work at a coffee shop. And specifically about H interviews, getting JS1 and no JS2 is not that uncommon. Check the H Apps thread and there are plenty of people that got left in no man's land.

But back to OP, I still maintain that TCR is do the internship, get a year or 2 of full time WE and then apply. You can study for the LSAT after you're done with UG and still reap the marginal rewards from stronger softs/WE.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:50 pm

mrizza wrote:
stillwater wrote:
mrizza wrote:

So you have to have some softs, but this particular soft is a bad soft? The point that I'm making, and you're agreeing with, is that you do need stuff on your resume. For all we know his resume is currently a clean slate minus full time work at a coffee shop. And specifically about H interviews, getting JS1 and no JS2 is not that uncommon. Check the H Apps thread and there are plenty of people that got left in no man's land.

But back to OP, I still maintain that TCR is do the internship, get a year or 2 of full time WE and then apply. You can study for the LSAT after you're done with UG and still reap the marginal rewards from stronger softs/WE.

I am a huge supporter of work experience. I am just saying for admissions that the LSAT and GPA need to be the top priority. Especially if OP isn't chasing HYS and maybe Berk and Northwestern, then softs/WE become even more worthless. All softs are pretty much equal outside of what are acknowledged as significant: Rhodes scholarships, Olympic medals, etc.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:07 pm

It sounds like you already have decent work experience. If so, I honestly suggest spending the entire summer on LSAT prep. I did that last summer. I spent the entire three months focusing on practice tests. You'd really be limiting yourself greatly if you didn't devote much of your time to the LSAT, given that at the end of the day it is, arguably, the most important factor in admissions.

caruiz93

Postby caruiz93 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:59 am

potterpirate04 wrote:It sounds like you already have decent work experience. If so, I honestly suggest spending the entire summer on LSAT prep. I did that last summer. I spent the entire three months focusing on practice tests. You'd really be limiting yourself greatly if you didn't devote much of your time to the LSAT, given that at the end of the day it is, arguably, the most important factor in admissions.

well i work at a large local coffee shop/restaurant, does that even count as "work experience" when it comes to law school admissions?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 pm

caruiz93 wrote:
potterpirate04 wrote:It sounds like you already have decent work experience. If so, I honestly suggest spending the entire summer on LSAT prep. I did that last summer. I spent the entire three months focusing on practice tests. You'd really be limiting yourself greatly if you didn't devote much of your time to the LSAT, given that at the end of the day it is, arguably, the most important factor in admissions.

well i work at a large local coffee shop/restaurant, does that even count as "work experience" when it comes to law school admissions?

Called it. Do the internship dude.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 pm

mrizza wrote:
caruiz93 wrote:

Called it. Do the internship dude.

Yeahhhh in that case do the internship. It'll be hectic if you're gonna try to study as well, but it's totally manageable. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”