what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cherylann
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:39 pm

what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby cherylann » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:48 am

If you have a sub 3.0 gpa, and the gpa is not reflective of your full potential because it was compromised by a host of valid reasons and constraints, as well as illness, that hindered someone's full potential in their undergraduate studies, and law school admissions can clearly see that you arent a typical sub 3.0 applicant who might not have worked up to their full potential, but you receive a high LSAT score, how much would that offset a below 3.0 gpa?

Would a 165-169 be the minimum to break a top 40-50 school, or would you say 170+

Have any of you ever broke the top 40-50, with a sub 3.0 and decent LSAT score, if so, what LSAT would be enough?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 am

general rule of thumb ( there are exceptions to this, but these exceptions are rare) is the lower the gpa, the higher the LSAT score you need- but keep in mind, the lower the gpa, the more difficult/ if not locked out of the top schools you are.

So, theoretically you could get a 180, but with a 2.8 ( and no signifiant work experience, military experience, etc) you are most likely locked out of T14. Now there are exceptions to this rule, but I wouldn't bank on it.

But since you are looking at lower T1 the gpa floor may be lower, so who knows? A good gague would be to get an LSAT score about 2 points above the schools 75% for that incoming class, but even then its a toss up.

If you have a legitimate reason for why your gpa is not reflective of your full potential, a GPA addendum would be a good idea. But it cant be soemthing like " I slacked off, found myself, and now am better". Admissions people will see that in your gpa trend- and may assume it ( but I'm not one, so i dont know what they think when they see the grades). If you had a serious illness, or dramatic family/ life event, thats another story.

Moral of the story, do as best as you can, and aim for a 170+.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 am

When you get that low in ranking especially, you should focus more on a school's region than its ranking. Going to a "#40-50" school on the other side of the country in a market in which you have no ties because of the school's rank would be an absurdly stupid decision. Look at LSN for the schools in markets you want to work. If you do really well on your LSAT, you can open up some really good schools that are splitter-friendly, too.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 am

Splitters are easily outed on LSN because there are so few, so I would take the accuracy of their information with a grain of salt. Some splitters are also asked to remove/not post numbers by schools that accept them.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 am

Schools in the 40-50 range typically have LSAT medians in the low to mid 160s, so, assuming you are not an underrepresented minority, that is the minimum you would need have a decent shot. Ideally you want to be above the 75th percentile LSAT if you are below the 25th percentile GPA, which would be mid-160s for these schools generally. A low GPA is not the end of the world for law school admissions if you can get a high LSAT. It does reduce the scholarship money you will be offered, though, and none of the schools ranked 40-50 are worth what they cost. In fact, you really would want a full ride to attend these schools, and you need ties to the area the school is in to help your post-law-school job search. It would be wiser to take a full ride to a T2, generally, than to pay more than 50-100K (including living expenses) on the schools ranked 40-50. In particular, stay away from American.

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 am

If you have a couple years of work experience & get a 170+ you still have a shot at Northwestern.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Splitters are easily outed on LSN because there are so few, so I would take the accuracy of their information with a grain of salt. Some splitters are also asked to remove/not post numbers by schools that accept them.


What do you mean?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:35 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Splitters are easily outed on LSN because there are so few, so I would take the accuracy of their information with a grain of salt. Some splitters are also asked to remove/not post numbers by schools that accept them.

What do you mean?

Some schools, like Chicago (LinkRemoved), publish not only their 25/50/75th percentiles, but also their MIN and MAX LSAT / GPA scores. However, other schools that don't publish this information might not want it to be readily available just in case they decide to take a couple of people with dismal numbers (2.35 GPA, for example). Not only would reporting the MINs make the school look "less selective," but it could also lead to some idiot complaining against the school because they didn't get in with similarly shitty numbers.


That makes sense. I can't imagine how a school would benefit by publishing the max and min LSAT/ GPA scores, besides receiving more applicants who think they have a fighting chance (e.g. seeing that a 162 LSAT score was accepted at Stanford and thinking, "Hey, I ought to apply!" ), rejecting the hopeful applicants and thus appearing more selective.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby yupyup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:20 pm

I can only speak from my experience, but I have the same numbers as BitterSplitter and have gotten into two top 30s so far, one with $25k/yr, and have gotten waitlisted at a top 20 (applied for that school way late in the cycle tho). I've also gotten 30k/yr at a school just shy of the top 50. So it is possible. My experience has shown me that the law school admin process actually isn't a complete numbers game. You just gotta make the rest of your app as perfect as possible and make it hard for them to reject you. Btw, I'm a URM with PI focus, a few years work experience, and legit reasons for my low GPA as well (I included an addendum).

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby yupyup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:44 pm

yupyup wrote:I can only speak from my experience, but I have the same numbers as BitterSplitter and have gotten into two top 30s so far, one with $25k/yr, and have gotten waitlisted at a top 20 (applied for that school way late in the cycle tho). I've also gotten 30k/yr at a school just shy of the top 50. So it is possible. My experience has shown me that the law school admin process actually isn't a complete numbers game. You just gotta make the rest of your app as perfect as possible and make it hard for them to reject you. Btw, I'm a URM with PI focus, a few years work experience, and legit reasons for my low GPA as well (I included an addendum).


Forgot to mention that there were also circumstances surrounding the time I was studying for the LSAT and when I took the test and also included an addendum about that. Was afraid it might seem that I was trying to give them sob stories for pity, but I think I successfully kept it from being too mushy. I just wanted to give them an idea of what I've overcome and what I've achieved in spite of everything.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby Nova » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:20 am

Answer to thread title: At least median

Would a 165-169 be the minimum to break a top 40-50 school, or would you say 170+?: 167-168 gives you a shot at splitter friendly T30s (UMN, WUSTL)

Have any of you ever broke the top 40-50, with a sub 3.0 and decent LSAT score, if so, what LSAT would be enough?

My friend had a 2.9/167 and got accepted all over the place in the 40s-50s with money.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: what LSAT would I need to get into a #40-50 school

Postby BitterSplitter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:15 am

.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, JD_Kingfish, Pozzo, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests