LSAT Score on Resume (0L)?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dingbat

Re: LSAT Score on Resume (0L)?

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Again, there are many things in applying for a job and applying to law school that you definitively should and should not do. this is not one of them and I can easily see both sides of the debate.

agreed (both with this, and with your reasoning)

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 pm

dingbat wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Again, there are many things in applying for a job and applying to law school that you definitively should and should not do. this is not one of them and I can easily see both sides of the debate.

dingbat had a whole section on his resume just for his LSAT, including his section-by-section breakdown and chart guiding the reader through the different percentiles associated with the different scores.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:44 pm

stillwater wrote:
dingbat wrote:

dingbat had a whole section on his resume just for his LSAT, including his section-by-section breakdown and chart guiding the reader through the different percentiles associated with the different scores.

I have three different pictures of me on my resume including one of me at the beach.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:47 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
stillwater wrote:
dingbat wrote:

I have three different pictures of me on my resume including one of me at the beach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible ... 9sum%C3%A9)

still the best resume ever created

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:27 pm

He certainly took the whole differentiation to a new level.

Red flag #1 would be when someone put on their resume they worked for the CIA.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:30 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:He certainly took the whole differentiation to a new level.

I legit had a job working for the secret service when I was a teenager, but it was a bullshit job (where you wouldn't be surprised hearing it's done by a teenager)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:44 pm

dingbat wrote:

I legit had a job working for the secret service when I was a teenager, but it was a bullshit job (where you wouldn't be surprised hearing it's done by a teenager)

I'd definitely put/keep that on your resume, as it's a conversation piece regardless of how menial it may have been. Similar to why just about ever law school recommends you have a "Interests" or "Skills and Interests" section. Additionally, in respect to interests, if you catch a hiring professional with a similar passion you are in a really good way.

I once was submerged in water to determine my volume and I should probably add that to my CV.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:46 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
dingbat wrote:

I'd definitely put/keep that on your resume, as it's a conversation piece regardless of how menial it may have been. Similar to why just about ever law school recommends you have a "Interests" or "Skills and Interests" section. Additionally, in respect to interests, if you catch a hiring professional with a similar passion you are in a really good way.

I once was submerged in water to determine my volume and I should probably add that to my CV.

Can't. In order to justify that position, my resume would be 3 or 4 pages long. There are plenty of other conversation piece jobs I've had to remove, too.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 pm

MikeSpivey -

Dingbat is a boomer. (Not really, but he's older than most here).

efin12

Postby efin12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:56 pm

When I applied for my current position as a paralegal for a biglaw firm, I hadn't taken the LSAT yet, so I wasn't in your situation, but I don't think I would have included it if I had. Throughout the hiring process, all of my communication was with HR, and I did not get the impression the HR people would care what my LSAT score was or know how to determine what a "good" LSAT score is. Once I got my interviews with firms, I spoke to other paralegals and attorneys at the firm and was asked several times if I had taken the LSAT yet. I think that would be the more appropriate time to let them know, and I would have gladly shared my score with them then if I had had it.

As for the advice about not mentioning you want to go to law school, that is really bad advice and you should disregard it. I interviewed with four v100 firms and each one of them asked me if I was considering law school and mentioned that they typically try to hire paralegals that stay for two years and then go onto law school. They know it's a revolving door, and they want candidates that are interested in the work but won't be staying long. Once I started at my firm, I was completely upfront with my coworkers and the attorneys and was able to approach them for advice. One associate wrote me a LOR, another associate tutored me for the LSAT, another associate helped me with my resume, and the firm's resident legal writer proofread my PS. Being a paralegal was a great experience for me. I was able to write about it in my PS, and on several of my acceptance letters, the deans' handwritten notes mentioned my paralegal experience as valuable.

I think it's too soon for you to be giving up hope for the cycle, but if you do decide to be a paralegal, it can definitely strengthen your application.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:20 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:MikeSpivey -

Dingbat is a boomer. (Not really, but he's older than most here).

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10 am

Just want to throw my two cents in.

You are in an incredible position here. A 173/4.0 is insane. If you don't wind up at HYS this cycle you should take this as a blessing. Take a few years off. Travel, read, party, do bullshit jobs. Grow personally and expand your intellectual interests and palette. Step outside of yourself for a long, extended period of time.

My concrete advice: come back in a few years - do one full year sans TLS and law school stuff. Apply for the c/o 2018 at T6 only, you'll find a full ride - or ridesat CCN, definitely H, and at least one of YS.

--I'm assuming here that you're 21/22, always been ultra serious about law school, rather affluent and applying now as a K-JD, so disregard if I'm totally misreading your case here--

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Poof
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm

I had the same numbers as you, also straight through undergrad, and did pretty well.

The only reason I can think of why you underperformed is your resume screams "meh".

This not only goes to your resume, but probably your LOR, and personal statement as well otherwise you would have gotten something pretty decent.

Although your resume is part of the problem, I will suggest you take another look at your PS (maybe post it here) because maybe those intangibles are what's holding you back, not the work experience.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:17 pm

What about your IQ?

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm

dingbat wrote:

So I guess this is the conclusion of this thread.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:30 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I actually would put it on if you are applying for BigLaw through OCI. For every person it annoys, an elitist will love it. And having met hundreds of hiring partners from said firms, I would say that many are elitist. Just put it next to your undergraduate gpa and it will not look out of place..

What if you're a splitter and your UGPA is mediocre? Would you still put it on?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:48 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:I actually would put it on if you are applying for BigLaw through OCI. For every person it annoys, an elitist will love it. And having met hundreds of hiring partners from said firms, I would say that many are elitist. Just put it next to your undergraduate gpa and it will not look out of place..

What if you're a splitter and your UGPA is mediocre? Would you still put it on?

It depends on a good deal of other variables (which is why there is no one, precise answer) but you certainly run the risk of a hiring authority contorting that to mean you are lazy or did not apply yourself.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”