If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
marlowebeach

If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby marlowebeach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 pm

After I finished my undergrad degree, a few years later I enrolled for a semester at an unaccredited distance learning graduate school. I was a bored housewife in an isolated rural place . . .

It was completely pointless, and I withdrew before the semester was over. My transcript, if it existed, would only show 3 Ws.

The school closed within the next year. This was almost ten years ago.

I can't find any way to get my transcript for LSAC. The state education department doesn't have it. The state university in that state had no idea what I was talking about (LSAC's other suggestion on where to find these things). I didn't receive or apply for any financial aid. The school isn't listed on degreeverify. It doesn't even have a Wiki entry. Do you think I'm okay pretending it never happened? I don't want to be dishonest, but I truly don't think my transcript exists any more.

cinephile

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Sounds like something about which you should call LSAC to discuss since it's an unusual situation.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 pm

So you're applying to a law school with a transcript from a school that doesn't exist?

Jeff Winger, is that you?

marlowebeach

Postby marlowebeach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 pm

lisjjen wrote:So you're applying to a law school with a transcript from a school that doesn't exist?

Jeff Winger, is that you?

Hah. The rest of my schools exist . . . although considering my GPA I wish more of them would vanish.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 am

marlowebeach wrote:After I finished my undergrad degree, a few years later I enrolled for a semester at an unaccredited distance learning graduate school. I was a bored housewife in an isolated rural place . . .

It was completely pointless, and I withdrew before the semester was over. My transcript, if it existed, would only show 3 Ws.

I can't find any way to get my transcript for LSAC. The state education department doesn't have it. The state university in that state had no idea what I was talking about (LSAC's other suggestion on where to find these things). I didn't receive or apply for any financial aid. The school isn't listed on degreeverify. It doesn't even have a Wiki entry. Do you think I'm okay pretending it never happened? I don't want to be dishonest, but I truly don't think my transcript exists any more.

Nothing after your first undergraduate degree is relevant to your LSAC gpa or transcripts, I believe. Check LSAC's guidelines.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:30 am

Cicero76 wrote:
marlowebeach wrote:After I finished my undergrad degree, a few years later I enrolled for a semester at an unaccredited distance learning graduate school. I was a bored housewife in an isolated rural place . . .

Nothing after your first undergraduate degree is relevant to your LSAC gpa or transcripts, I believe. Check LSAC's guidelines.

It doesn't affect your LSAC GPA, but they still want you to submit them.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 am

I wouldn't. If it's unaccredited, post-graduate, exclusively withdraws, the school is closed, and it's insanely hard to get transcripts to LSAC, I say screw it. No C&F investigator in the world will spank you for that.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am

Call LSAC, as others have said. If you can't track a transcript down, you want a note in your file from someone at LSAC to that effect. Also, you should include an addendum with your application explaining the situation. It shouldn't be a big deal, but you just want to cover your bases.

mls

Postby mls » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Sounds like you already talked to LSAC. I would, personally, go one of two ways. Either, I would write a super short addendum explaining that you could not retrieve the transcript, but also did not receive grades; or, I would wait until you're basically done with the application cycle and contact the few schools your choosing between and explain that you can't get a transcript, but can submit some kind of document acknowledging that you enrolled in the classes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”