If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
marlowebeach
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:11 pm

If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby marlowebeach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 pm

After I finished my undergrad degree, a few years later I enrolled for a semester at an unaccredited distance learning graduate school. I was a bored housewife in an isolated rural place . . .

It was completely pointless, and I withdrew before the semester was over. My transcript, if it existed, would only show 3 Ws.

The school closed within the next year. This was almost ten years ago.

I can't find any way to get my transcript for LSAC. The state education department doesn't have it. The state university in that state had no idea what I was talking about (LSAC's other suggestion on where to find these things). I didn't receive or apply for any financial aid. The school isn't listed on degreeverify. It doesn't even have a Wiki entry. Do you think I'm okay pretending it never happened? I don't want to be dishonest, but I truly don't think my transcript exists any more.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Sounds like something about which you should call LSAC to discuss since it's an unusual situation.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby lisjjen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 pm

So you're applying to a law school with a transcript from a school that doesn't exist?

Jeff Winger, is that you?

marlowebeach
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby marlowebeach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 pm

lisjjen wrote:So you're applying to a law school with a transcript from a school that doesn't exist?

Jeff Winger, is that you?


Hah. The rest of my schools exist . . . although considering my GPA I wish more of them would vanish.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 am

marlowebeach wrote:After I finished my undergrad degree, a few years later I enrolled for a semester at an unaccredited distance learning graduate school. I was a bored housewife in an isolated rural place . . .

It was completely pointless, and I withdrew before the semester was over. My transcript, if it existed, would only show 3 Ws.

The school closed within the next year. This was almost ten years ago.

I can't find any way to get my transcript for LSAC. The state education department doesn't have it. The state university in that state had no idea what I was talking about (LSAC's other suggestion on where to find these things). I didn't receive or apply for any financial aid. The school isn't listed on degreeverify. It doesn't even have a Wiki entry. Do you think I'm okay pretending it never happened? I don't want to be dishonest, but I truly don't think my transcript exists any more.


Nothing after your first undergraduate degree is relevant to your LSAC gpa or transcripts, I believe. Check LSAC's guidelines.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:30 am

Cicero76 wrote:
marlowebeach wrote:After I finished my undergrad degree, a few years later I enrolled for a semester at an unaccredited distance learning graduate school. I was a bored housewife in an isolated rural place . . .

It was completely pointless, and I withdrew before the semester was over. My transcript, if it existed, would only show 3 Ws.

The school closed within the next year. This was almost ten years ago.

I can't find any way to get my transcript for LSAC. The state education department doesn't have it. The state university in that state had no idea what I was talking about (LSAC's other suggestion on where to find these things). I didn't receive or apply for any financial aid. The school isn't listed on degreeverify. It doesn't even have a Wiki entry. Do you think I'm okay pretending it never happened? I don't want to be dishonest, but I truly don't think my transcript exists any more.


Nothing after your first undergraduate degree is relevant to your LSAC gpa or transcripts, I believe. Check LSAC's guidelines.


It doesn't affect your LSAC GPA, but they still want you to submit them.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby twenty » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 am

I wouldn't. If it's unaccredited, post-graduate, exclusively withdraws, the school is closed, and it's insanely hard to get transcripts to LSAC, I say screw it. No C&F investigator in the world will spank you for that.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby bp shinners » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am

Call LSAC, as others have said. If you can't track a transcript down, you want a note in your file from someone at LSAC to that effect. Also, you should include an addendum with your application explaining the situation. It shouldn't be a big deal, but you just want to cover your bases.

mls
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: If I can't find it, can they? (transcript, closed school)

Postby mls » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:06 pm

marlowebeach wrote:After I finished my undergrad degree, a few years later I enrolled for a semester at an unaccredited distance learning graduate school. I was a bored housewife in an isolated rural place . . .

It was completely pointless, and I withdrew before the semester was over. My transcript, if it existed, would only show 3 Ws.

The school closed within the next year. This was almost ten years ago.

I can't find any way to get my transcript for LSAC. The state education department doesn't have it. The state university in that state had no idea what I was talking about (LSAC's other suggestion on where to find these things). I didn't receive or apply for any financial aid. The school isn't listed on degreeverify. It doesn't even have a Wiki entry. Do you think I'm okay pretending it never happened? I don't want to be dishonest, but I truly don't think my transcript exists any more.


Sounds like you already talked to LSAC. I would, personally, go one of two ways. Either, I would write a super short addendum explaining that you could not retrieve the transcript, but also did not receive grades; or, I would wait until you're basically done with the application cycle and contact the few schools your choosing between and explain that you can't get a transcript, but can submit some kind of document acknowledging that you enrolled in the classes.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests