Appealing a rejection Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TRex77

New

Appealing a rejection

Post by TRex77 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Does anyone have any examples of appeals they have sent to law schools they have been denied from?

I have been looking around but not many people do it. I got rejected from my top choice, and see no down side to appealing the decision. 99.99% chance I will get denied again, but nothing to lose.

Most of the appeals I have read about involve a school making a mistake on an application and over looking something. I don't have anything big like that, but I do have what I think is very good job experience, doing financial/business consulting for a couple years. I think I am going to focus on this, because I cannot think of anything else to write about.

Thoughts?

Davidbentley

Bronze

Re: Appealing a rejection

Post by Davidbentley » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 pm

No.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Davidbentley wrote:No.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Is there something significant that has happened since you sent the app or something you left off? Or is it just kinda a 'eh why not?' type thing. If you're just rehashing what you said in the app then there's no point, and if you're struggling to come up with what to write about it probably means you have nothing new to add.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 pm

stillwater wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm

TRex77 wrote:Does anyone have any examples of appeals they have sent to law schools they have been denied from?

I have been looking around but not many people do it. I got rejected from my top choice, and see no down side to appealing the decision. 99.99% chance I will get denied again, but nothing to lose.

Most of the appeals I have read about involve a school making a mistake on an application and over looking something. I don't have anything big like that, but I do have what I think is very good job experience, doing financial/business consulting for a couple years. I think I am going to focus on this, because I cannot think of anything else to write about.

Thoughts?
Admissions is numbers based.....no one cares about your "experience"

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:44 pm

lol. Good one, OP!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Might as well save your dignity and go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 pm

stillwater wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Scotchandsoda

New

Post by Scotchandsoda » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 pm

TRex77 wrote:Does anyone have any examples of appeals they have sent to law schools they have been denied from?

Thoughts?
Just stop.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Just apply again next year with a more compelling application package (better LSAT, better work experience, better recs, etc.).

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 pm

If this is your dream school, consider retaking the LSAT in June and then ask to be reconsidered if you are able to get a higher LSAT score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

babyxballerina

Bronze

Post by babyxballerina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:15 am

Thoughts?
Does the school you're looking at have a reconsideration process? I know some schools have it, like Fordham.

http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/460.htm
How does the application reconsideration process work? If you have received an unfavorable decision on your application, you can request reconsideration of your application. Please submit your request in writing via lawadmissions@law.fordham.edu and indicate the division to which you would like to be reconsidered. The reconsideration process will begin in June.

I think some schools only have it if you have something new to add to your application. And, for other schools, the decisions are final, like Loyola Chicago.

http://www.luc.edu/law/admission/admission_faq1.html
16. If my application for admission is denied, can I appeal that decision?
No, all decisions made by the committee are final. You will need to wait to reapply for the following year if you wish to have your application considered again

I would call the school and ask what the policy is.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:56 am

C'mon OP, you've got more dignity than that.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 am

Downside: you'll be auto-rejected for being insufferable when you reapply

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:If this is your dream school, consider retaking the LSAT in June and then reapply for 2014.
FTFY

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Thoughts?
Why didn't you originally mention that experience?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:33 pm

jselson wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:If this is your dream school, consider retaking the LSAT in June and then reapply for 2014.
FTFY
I agree that it probably makes more sense, in terms of maximizing acceptances and scholarship money, to wait and reapply for 2014, but if OP wants to have the really longshot chance of having a rejection being turned into an acceptance, then increasing his LSAT score by a substantial amount on the June test is probably the best way to do it. (But, yes, still a huge longshot and still probably would make more sense to wait a year to reapply.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”