Double Major?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:I was a phil major in college. Last year was my sixth and final year, and I added poli sci as my second major. I did not take any spanish classes until all my poli sci classes were done so that all the classes would be included on my gpa and I could avoid the rule of having a cemented gpa once you complete your first UG major. Since language is required for any major I did not technically complete my first until after I finished all my poli classes because I took spanish last. A little GPA boosting loopholefor those inclined to add a second major before they complete their first. GL


Wasting two years of your life for a slight GPA boost is not a good tip. You also didn't need to delay anything at all. You can take 100% of the required coursework for a major and not graduate. Simply don't fill out the graduation paperwork.


Do you like playing devil's advocate or do you actually believe what you just said?No one said to add two years for the gpa boost ( i only had 5 classes and OP only has roughly the same to get a second major). No one said it was a slight gpa boost (2.9 to 3.0 is not slight and also if OP is saying "if I don't get a decent scholarship to a good school, no law school" than the implications of the boost may not be slight either.) No one said "graduate", including law schools (they say complete your first major or something to that effect- if it was graduate, than there would be no need for a loophole. Think about it. Any double major could have all classes count towards LSAC gpa)

You strawman'd every aspect of what I said to the point that its not even a strawman anymore its just irrelevant noise.


Your failure to communicate your opinion and engage in something resembling reading comprehension is what's causing issue here. I assume that a person will take four years to complete an undergraduate degree (otherwise, why mention that it took you six years?). You spent 1.5x the requisite time to complete your first useless degree, then took however many extra classes to complete a second, even more useless, degree. You neglected to mention that you only had five extra classes and a situation at all similar to OP's in your first post. Read it again, and you'll see that it reads clearly as though you spent two years finishing a second degree.

The reason you did it in the manner you did was because you (falsely) believe(d?) that by completing all the coursework for a major, LSAC won't count anything after that. In fact, written in very plain English on their website is information directly counter to that belief:

Grades Excluded From Conversion:
Those awarded after the first undergraduate degree was received.

http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp

His GPA is 3.21, and he could raise it to potentially a 3.3, and more likely a 3.25. This is insignificant for the additional six months and $$$ he would invest. You boosting your own GPA from 2.9 to 3.0 is also insignificant (and irrelevant to OP). It does give you a tangible boost for acceptance to law schools, but does not increase your ability to garner merit aid whatsoever because you still have a GPA far below any reputable school's 25th percentile. In your case, you wasted your time and money on those 5 classes and the extra degree. You may gain admission to a better school because of it, but you're still going to be paying sticker (or very close to it) wherever you go, which is a raw deal at just about every school that will accept you with a 3.0/X.


To OP, just look at this guy. He did what you're contemplating doing, and it was a terrible fucking idea for him to do.

edit: and he didn't raise his GPA to 3.0 by staying.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 am

Let me break it down for you; ahem:

cahwc12 wrote:Your failure to communicate your opinion and engage in something resembling reading comprehension is what's causing issue here.


You're trying real hard right now

cahwc12 wrote: I assume that a person will take four years to complete an undergraduate degree (otherwise, why mention that it took you six years?).


"Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups"

Besides, I clearly said I added my second major during my 6th and final year, which would mean that it only added one year at most. And I mentioned the sixth year in case he was going to ask when I declared it (if he had thought it may be too late to declare a second major in his own case)
BitterSplitter wrote: Last year was my sixth and final year, and I added poli sci as my second major.

Your RC seems to be a little rusty.

cahwc12 wrote:Read it again, and you'll see that it reads clearly as though you spent two years finishing a second degree. and you'll see i'm an idiot


Perhaps you should, and FTFY.

cahwc12 wrote:In fact, written in very plain English on their website is information directly counter to that belief:

Grades Excluded From Conversion:
Those awarded after the first undergraduate degree was received.


Are you serious? That clearly says( in very plain English, if I may add) that grades awarded after you get your first degree won't count. That means that if you havent completed the prereq for language, meaning you have not yet received your degree, then classes you take towards your second major count towards conversion. You are seriously retarded.

cahwc12 wrote:His GPA is 3.21, and he could raise it to potentially a 3.3, and more likely a 3.25. This is insignificant for the additional six months and $$$ he would invest.


This might be is the only valid point you brought up the entire time.

cahwc12 wrote:
You boosting your own GPA from 2.9 to 3.0 is also insignificant (and irrelevant to OP).


I wasn't referencing my own GPA, it was just a hypothetical (to show that a little boost can be significant rather than slight), but it seems you were zealous enough to uncover that on your own.

cahwc12 wrote: You may gain admission to a better school because of it, but you're still going to be paying sticker (or very close to it) wherever you go, which is a raw deal at just about every school that will accept you with a 3.0/X.


Even with your caveat considered, this is a contradiction of your last statement because acceptance to a better law school is most certainly not insignificant. That's not arguing semantics, that's a fact backed by job palcement stats etc.

cahwc12 wrote: He did what you're contemplating doing, and it was a terrible fucking idea for him to do.


I actually still had my language requirement left irrespective of declaring a second major. I only postponed starting it by 1 quarter so that I could finish all the second major classes before it ended. It wasn't a bad idea for me at all to add the second major. Glad to see that your last statement was as full of it as your first. You're nothing if not consistent.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:40 am

^
l
l
l
l

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Why you mad though?

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 am

.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests