Double Major?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Leo10Messi
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Double Major?

Postby Leo10Messi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I am just about done with my Political Science degree, i will be doing my internship at a law office in the summer. My GPA is at 3.21 and it isn't going up as I am almsot done with classes. My Minor is communication however due to the fact that i only need 5 more classes to get a Bachelor's Degree in Communication, I'm considering turning it to a major and earning two degrees rather than one. Also as a requirement, i will have to do another internship, which may end up in another law office. With that being said, i don't want to waste my time and i don't want to waste my money, I already have a ton of student loans pilled up, however, I am willing to take that extra step and earn two degrees if it helps me get into better law schools.

I am averaging 158 on my LSAT's and i will be taking a powerscore course in the next couple of months to raise my score past that 165 mark. What do you guys think? Will it help me get into a better law school with my low GPA?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

The actual second degree won't make any difference (especially since it's just polysci/comm, not like engineering/math), but a higher GPA does help.

That said, once you get the first degree, your LSAC GPA is frozen. You would have to postpone the awarding of the first BA to make sure the additional classes increased your GPA.

It also doesn't really matter whether those additional classes are completing a second degree or are just extra classes.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

No it won't help at all. I have a double major AND one of them is a STEM degree and it has done nothing for me.

User avatar
bettercallsaul91
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 pm

FWIW, me and another reverse splitter (exact same low LSAT and okay/highish GPAs within .04 of each other) are having much better-than-expected cycles and we are both three year cum laude double majors. Who knows if it was a factor - adcomms have said that academic rigor was important.

That said, only pursue it (for the sake of law school apps) if it will definitely boost your GPA. If the added work may lower your GPA, it's not worth it (if your ultimate goal is to maximize your law school app).

I'm super glad I double majored because I LOVED my second major and would have graduated pretty bitter about a mediocre college education if I had just stayed with my first major ... but my second major also afforded me about three extra A+es, all As except two A-es, research assistantships, and a graduate-level seminar. Only do the second major if you expect payoffs like that. I wouldn't recommend it if you're even at risk of adding a B+ to your transcript.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Only do it if you are certain you can increase your GPA. If you have exactly 120 hours now, a 15-hour 4.0 semester could bring you up to exactly a 3.3 (assuming your 3.21 is not a 3.205). That could be worth the effort. You must postpone applying for graduation for these classes to count toward your LSDAS GPA.

Leo10Messi
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby Leo10Messi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:14 pm

I appreciate everyone's feedback, it is really helpful.

After this semester, i will have 113 Credits, so i would only have 12 more credits left for my first BA, thats 3 classes, one of which will be an internship class. In order to get my 2nd degree, i will only need to add 3 more classes and i will earn a degree in Communication. In order for me to raise my GPA by a 0.1 margin, i have to get them all A's, highly doubtful for me, i know my limitations.

The reason why i even chose Comm as a minor, was to enhance my own knowledge and ability as a communicator, i thought it would be helpful and i would be ahead of others in law school, which would ultimately help me stand out. Another reason was to have a good "back-up plan" so that if i choose that Law School isn't my thing later on, i would have two degrees that could help me gain a leadership role in the private sector, business world. I don't know i have few more weeks to decide.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13709
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby star fox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Won't do anything for Law School. Maybe will help you in the broader economy in general entering out of college as basically someone not qualified for anything (I'm a Poli Sci/History soon to be degree myself). When you say you're almost done with your degree does that mean you are graduating in May? If not just load up on as easy classes as you can next semester. Bring that GPA up. Sure, it may not look great to see you just took a bunch of easy classes but what's important is your GPA.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Leo10Messi wrote:Hello everyone,

I am just about done with my Political Science degree, i will be doing my internship at a law office in the summer. My GPA is at 3.21 and it isn't going up as I am almsot done with classes. My Minor is communication however due to the fact that i only need 5 more classes to get a Bachelor's Degree in Communication, I'm considering turning it to a major and earning two degrees rather than one. Also as a requirement, i will have to do another internship, which may end up in another law office. With that being said, i don't want to waste my time and i don't want to waste my money, I already have a ton of student loans pilled up, however, I am willing to take that extra step and earn two degrees if it helps me get into better law schools.

I am averaging 158 on my LSAT's and i will be taking a powerscore course in the next couple of months to raise my score past that 165 mark. What do you guys think? Will it help me get into a better law school with my low GPA?


You probably won't like this post, but I hope you read through it because you should hear it, at least for a different perspective:

I don't think either degree will help you get a job, which is unfortunate for you. Your GPA + LSAT will make attending law school at value a very difficult task, because the GPA will prevent you from getting full rides anywhere and severely limit your ability to get significant merit aid. The double major will add nothing to your application. Adding communications isn't a backup plan, just delaying your entrance into the real world.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds like you realize the time investment (five classes, a second internship--basically six months of your life) won't benefit you enough (re: at all) to warrant the additional piling up of student loans. But one might argue you've wasted a year or so already beyond your AA courses to get the degree(s) you currently have. Political science doesn't equip you with the requisite knowledge to do anything productive (I challenge you to provide a list of jobs where the degree is a requirement), just as communications similarly doesn't really prepare you for anything either (although I'm sure you could provide a list at least). In the scope of (f)utility of degrees, I think communications is probably slightly better. It's doubtful that it's worth another six months of study though.

You sound like the average law school applicant, disillusioned about its current state and approaching it like college admissions, without ever having stepped foot in the real world--you should stay far, far away from law school. Unfortunately for you, the political science degree and (unpaid?) internship at a law firm aren't going to help you get a real job, so you may take the sucker's bet that most do and end up going to law school, quadrupling down on your outstanding debt, and then end up in a similar position three years from now. Tens of thousands of people each year have similar situations and end up going to law school because of it. Don't be a statistic. Don't go to law school. If you're passionate about law or public interest, become a paralegal or try to get work on a political campaign or for a non-profit, then make connections and leverage those into a job.


If you absolutely can't be swayed from law school, there are some things you need to understand:

Don't waste your money on a prep course. Use (some of) that money on a private tutor and get personalized, supplemental instruction. Get a hold of as many PTs you can, get some good prep books (powerscore, manhattan, blueprint, velocity, etc) and set your own prep schedule. Post it in the LSAT prep forum if you want and get some feedback on it. Study for as long as you need to get your score as high as you can (typically about 3 months, some spend 6-8 months). You need to crush the test--absolutely kill it.

Your GPA will prevent you from getting significant merit aid at nearly every school you gain admission to. That's because your admission is dependent on GPA + LSAT and not much else. Your low GPA is dead weight to admissions, and you can counter-balance it with a studly LSAT score, but it will only "balance" you to median (because they'll admit someone with inverse numbers). This makes you a "splitter." It means that your shot at financial aid is close to nil, although you do have a good chance at getting into almost any school (outside of HYSCCB) if you can score well enough on the LSAT. Schools give generous merit aid to students whose numbers are above both medians. Students like you, who can't mathematically exceed median, will have much fewer opportunities to enjoy those merit aid discounts.

This all means that if you can score well enough on the LSAT, you can go to a good or even great law school. But you're going to be paying for it by taking out a tremendous amount of student debt (between $150-200k, upwards of $300k). Most schools have ugly employment statistics, and there's a good chance that you'll end up unemployed or underemployed when you get out of law school. And just like having a bachelor's degree in political science prevents you from working at Walmart or a grocery store ("overqualified"), so a JD can quickly become a shit-stain on your resume for run-of-the-mill cubicle jobs ("overqualified"). This is why many people say that law school is a terrible decision for most people. They take on tremendous debt and really do end up in a much worse position than they were three years before, especially those who had stable jobs before (like a paralegal).

A good example of a school you could get admitted to with a strong LSAT score (say, 168) is WUSTL (a top 25 school). WUSTL is known for being generous with "merit aid" for applicants with high LSATs (although that may be changing this cycle). Let's say you apply and get $80,000, a sizable scholarship. You'll still end up with nearly $200,000 in debt over three years, and nearly half of the school's graduates can't find work. This is close to your best case scenario. You're taking a huge risk financially ($200,000) to enable you to take a huge risk professionally (coin-flip odds to become a lawyer).

Things look better if you have ties and can stay in an insular, smaller school, but you're still probably looking at $100,000 or more in additional debt, for not much better than coin-flip odds at becoming a lawyer.


Please understand that your low GPA is going to make this very risky decision also very costly. Even if your GPA were much higher, it is still a large risk. Are you absolutely sure you want to get into the game?

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

.
Last edited by Gunnar Stahl on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

.

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

.
Last edited by Gunnar Stahl on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo10Messi
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby Leo10Messi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
Leo10Messi wrote:Hello everyone,

I am just about done with my Political Science degree, i will be doing my internship at a law office in the summer. My GPA is at 3.21 and it isn't going up as I am almsot done with classes. My Minor is communication however due to the fact that i only need 5 more classes to get a Bachelor's Degree in Communication, I'm considering turning it to a major and earning two degrees rather than one. Also as a requirement, i will have to do another internship, which may end up in another law office. With that being said, i don't want to waste my time and i don't want to waste my money, I already have a ton of student loans pilled up, however, I am willing to take that extra step and earn two degrees if it helps me get into better law schools.

I am averaging 158 on my LSAT's and i will be taking a powerscore course in the next couple of months to raise my score past that 165 mark. What do you guys think? Will it help me get into a better law school with my low GPA?


You probably won't like this post, but I hope you read through it because you should hear it, at least for a different perspective:

...

Please understand that your low GPA is going to make this very risky decision also very costly. Even if your GPA were much higher, it is still a large risk. Are you absolutely sure you want to get into the game?


First, I want to start out by thanking you for your time and response, I really appreciate it whole heartily even though it's tough love response. Second, I want to point out that I agree with every point you made and I am fully aware of my situation, however I still want to go into law.

Ever since i can remember i wanted to be a Lawyer, I wanted to get into law because it is something I am interested in, that is why I chose Political Science as a major, stupid decision now that i look back at it, however it was a decision based of heart rather than logic, for that i will pay the price.

Although I want to go to Law School, actually practicing law isn't a long term goal of mine, it is something i want to do in order to get merit and major support, in a bid for a political career, that is my ultimate goal, as my Leadership professor would say, It is who i want to be, not what a want to be.

Now, in terms of my GPA, I will be the first to admit, that is completely my fault, I am nearly done with my UG, and i have yet to give it my 100% in a single class, let alone 70% effort. First semester i attended the University i go to, I finished with a 3.8 without any studying, bare minimum effort, i got over confident and kept that attitude throughout. Once again, i will pay for that. Also, i had the choice of graduating this may, however i pushed it back in order to help my family open a small business, something i must do before i get on with my own life. I took the LSAT last june and i canceled my score because i knew i have another whole year that i can use to get a better score.

As far as the LSAT goes, i'm multilingual and English is not my first language, Arabic and Assyrian is, thus i majorly have sucked at RC part of the LSAT, usually missing at the very least 2 of them. This is why i need the Powerscore course, i need to see other people's methods, i can't just read them online because everyone got their own thing going on and i need help finishing the whole section. I can't afford to guess on 10-12 Questions on that section alone. Same goes with LG, i usually end up guessing on 1 at the very least. I heard good things about Powerscore, that is why im considering them, but if you insist on a tutor, I may take that choice.

As far as my two degrees go, they are not worthless, I can still get a decent job something I would still like, however that isn't my goal and i'm not even thinking about that.

Now, as far as Law School goes and choosing which one to go to, I know my limitations, I am realistic, i know i can't get into top 25 School, not with my GPA at least and I am keeping my chances realistic when it comes to the LSAT, I'm shooting for minimum of 165. Weather i get scholarships or not along with my realistic options is going to influence where i go, I'm probably going to have absolutely no choice when it comes to applying to school.

I don't know a lot of things, but i do know a couple of things one, Law School is something i am very comfortably able of doing, and Law is a passion of mine (such a nerd :roll: )

Again, to keep this on topic, one of the reasons I am considering a Communication degree is because of the very few extra classes that i have to take, and because if i choose not to, i will have nothing to do until i start Law School, that will not happen until Fall 2014.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby heythatslife » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:49 am

OP, if your long-term goal is to enter politics, going to a mediocre law school is unlikely to help, and it's certainly not very cost-effective. Have you considered seeking a congressional/senatorial/party staffer position? That route is more likely to get you where you want and actually earns you money instead of incurring crushing debts in the process.

And dude, no offense, but judging by your writing, I am skeptical of your claim that you are "very comfortably able of doing" law school...

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:20 am

heythatslife wrote:OP, if your long-term goal is to enter politics, going to a mediocre law school is unlikely to help, and it's certainly not very cost-effective. Have you considered seeking a congressional/senatorial/party staffer position? That route is more likely to get you where you want and actually earns you money instead of incurring crushing debts in the process.

And dude, no offense, but judging by your writing, I am skeptical of your claim that you are "very comfortably able of doing" law school...


Completely agree. I have a friend that graduated from UC Davis with a poly sci degree (3.2 GPA). He realized that he'd end up at a crappy law school so he decided not to go. He ended up networking and ended up with a staffer position. Now he's running for some office position in Temple City. He seems to be pretty happy with what he's doing, and he's doing it with way less debt too!

Leo10Messi
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby Leo10Messi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 am

heythatslife wrote:OP, if your long-term goal is to enter politics, going to a mediocre law school is unlikely to help, and it's certainly not very cost-effective. Have you considered seeking a congressional/senatorial/party staffer position? That route is more likely to get you where you want and actually earns you money instead of incurring crushing debts in the process.

And dude, no offense, but judging by your writing, I am skeptical of your claim that you are "very comfortably able of doing" law school...



Thanks for the response.

My writing is fine, I'm not trying to sound like an attorney here, my papers received some of the highest grades in most of my classes, that is actually something i can do well. As far going to a mediocre Law School, trust me if my LSAT isn't high enough to let me go to a good school (Again, i'm sorry we can't all go to Harvard and Yale) I will make the decision of not pursuing Law School.

I know that i can get into politics without a Law Degree, however that is a far fetched goal of mine, that is something I want AFTER becoming a Lawyer, far in the future. I know professors that could help me get into a decent job working for a representative in my area, however those jobs can only get you so high. I'm not trying to be the President, I can't, but I know i can definitely end up in local political offices.

Putting the whole political career aside, I want to go to Law School and be an attorney first, not planning to go to Cooley or anything like that, but also I know i can't get into H.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13709
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby star fox » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:04 pm

When you say law is a passion for you what do you mean? Do you read law books, summaries of court cases? Can you elaborate at all?

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:14 pm

From what I have seen GPA means more than major or even location.

University Of Phoenix Online 4.0 in Liberal Arts would tend to trump an Ivy League 3.5 in Engineering.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Leo10Messi wrote:
heythatslife wrote:OP, if your long-term goal is to enter politics, going to a mediocre law school is unlikely to help, and it's certainly not very cost-effective. Have you considered seeking a congressional/senatorial/party staffer position? That route is more likely to get you where you want and actually earns you money instead of incurring crushing debts in the process.

And dude, no offense, but judging by your writing, I am skeptical of your claim that you are "very comfortably able of doing" law school...



Thanks for the response.

My writing is fine, I'm not trying to sound like an attorney here, my papers received some of the highest grades in most of my classes, that is actually something i can do well. As far going to a mediocre Law School, trust me if my LSAT isn't high enough to let me go to a good school (Again, i'm sorry we can't all go to Harvard and Yale) I will make the decision of not pursuing Law School.

I know that i can get into politics without a Law Degree, however that is a far fetched goal of mine, that is something I want AFTER becoming a Lawyer, far in the future. I know professors that could help me get into a decent job working for a representative in my area, however those jobs can only get you so high. I'm not trying to be the President, I can't, but I know i can definitely end up in local political offices.

Putting the whole political career aside, I want to go to Law School and be an attorney first, not planning to go to Cooley or anything like that, but also I know i can't get into H.


1) You really should be shooting for 170+. Most law schools are not worth it, even with a decent scholarship. Your GPA just means you really need to crush the LSAT to have a chance of getting into some of the schools worth attending.
2) If you want to be a lawyer with a potential future interest in politics, then law school can make sense. If politics is your dream, law school is probably a mistake though (unless you can get a JD and have very little student debt afterwards).
3) Saying law is a passion of yours is a weird statement that makes you sound very naive. What type of law? No one loves all law. Tax law is very different from jurisprudence which is different from criminal law, etc. My guess is you've taken some "law" classes in UG and you liked them? Probably stuff that is heavy on constitutional law? If that's the case, you need to know that is nothing like what you'll be actually doing as a lawyer (most law school class are nothing like actually practicing law).
4) Both political science and communications are pretty useless degrees (I say this as a political science major). If your goal is law school and to be a lawyer, your major really doesn't matter. If taking more classes before you graduate can give your GPA a decent boost, then go for it. If you are just taking more classes to have a double major in political science and communications, then that's pretty pointless (both for law school and for trying to find a job after UG). People are not going to be impressed by a double major in political science and communications.

Leo10Messi
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby Leo10Messi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Leo10Messi wrote:
heythatslife wrote:OP, if your long-term goal is to enter politics, going to a mediocre law school is unlikely to help, and it's certainly not very cost-effective. Have you considered seeking a congressional/senatorial/party staffer position? That route is more likely to get you where you want and actually earns you money instead of incurring crushing debts in the process.

And dude, no offense, but judging by your writing, I am skeptical of your claim that you are "very comfortably able of doing" law school...



Thanks for the response.

My writing is fine, I'm not trying to sound like an attorney here, my papers received some of the highest grades in most of my classes, that is actually something i can do well. As far going to a mediocre Law School, trust me if my LSAT isn't high enough to let me go to a good school (Again, i'm sorry we can't all go to Harvard and Yale) I will make the decision of not pursuing Law School.

I know that i can get into politics without a Law Degree, however that is a far fetched goal of mine, that is something I want AFTER becoming a Lawyer, far in the future. I know professors that could help me get into a decent job working for a representative in my area, however those jobs can only get you so high. I'm not trying to be the President, I can't, but I know i can definitely end up in local political offices.

Putting the whole political career aside, I want to go to Law School and be an attorney first, not planning to go to Cooley or anything like that, but also I know i can't get into H.


1) You really should be shooting for 170+. Most law schools are not worth it, even with a decent scholarship. Your GPA just means you really need to crush the LSAT to have a chance of getting into some of the schools worth attending.
2) If you want to be a lawyer with a potential future interest in politics, then law school can make sense. If politics is your dream, law school is probably a mistake though (unless you can get a JD and have very little student debt afterwards).
3) Saying law is a passion of yours is a weird statement that makes you sound very naive. What type of law? No one loves all law. Tax law is very different from jurisprudence which is different from criminal law, etc. My guess is you've taken some "law" classes in UG and you liked them? Probably stuff that is heavy on constitutional law? If that's the case, you need to know that is nothing like what you'll be actually doing as a lawyer (most law school class are nothing like actually practicing law).
4) Both political science and communications are pretty useless degrees (I say this as a political science major). If your goal is law school and to be a lawyer, your major really doesn't matter. If taking more classes before you graduate can give your GPA a decent boost, then go for it. If you are just taking more classes to have a double major in political science and communications, then that's pretty pointless (both for law school and for trying to find a job after UG). People are not going to be impressed by a double major in political science and communications.



Ok lets clear this up
1) im shooting for 180, anything below 165 and no law school for me.
2) if I don't get a decent scholarship to a good school, no law school
3) I have passion for the environment, finding things out, critical thinking
4) I would go to immigration/civil rights/ injury type of law
5) both of my degrees are not useless, I just wont be a millionar with them
6) politics is something I want to do when im 50, not now.
7) other than MBA degree or law degree, I dont think I will stand a chance in politics. I have talked to a lot of people about this.
8) I know the financial commitment of Law School, fully aware of the dangers.

I know there are a million reasons why I shouldnt go, I know there are other paths to follow but im motivated for this and I know ivam capable.

P.s im my cell excuse any typos.

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Leo10Messi wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Leo10Messi wrote:
heythatslife wrote:OP, if your long-term goal is to enter politics, going to a mediocre law school is unlikely to help, and it's certainly not very cost-effective. Have you considered seeking a congressional/senatorial/party staffer position? That route is more likely to get you where you want and actually earns you money instead of incurring crushing debts in the process.

And dude, no offense, but judging by your writing, I am skeptical of your claim that you are "very comfortably able of doing" law school...



Thanks for the response.

My writing is fine, I'm not trying to sound like an attorney here, my papers received some of the highest grades in most of my classes, that is actually something i can do well. As far going to a mediocre Law School, trust me if my LSAT isn't high enough to let me go to a good school (Again, i'm sorry we can't all go to Harvard and Yale) I will make the decision of not pursuing Law School.

I know that i can get into politics without a Law Degree, however that is a far fetched goal of mine, that is something I want AFTER becoming a Lawyer, far in the future. I know professors that could help me get into a decent job working for a representative in my area, however those jobs can only get you so high. I'm not trying to be the President, I can't, but I know i can definitely end up in local political offices.

Putting the whole political career aside, I want to go to Law School and be an attorney first, not planning to go to Cooley or anything like that, but also I know i can't get into H.


1) You really should be shooting for 170+. Most law schools are not worth it, even with a decent scholarship. Your GPA just means you really need to crush the LSAT to have a chance of getting into some of the schools worth attending.
2) If you want to be a lawyer with a potential future interest in politics, then law school can make sense. If politics is your dream, law school is probably a mistake though (unless you can get a JD and have very little student debt afterwards).
3) Saying law is a passion of yours is a weird statement that makes you sound very naive. What type of law? No one loves all law. Tax law is very different from jurisprudence which is different from criminal law, etc. My guess is you've taken some "law" classes in UG and you liked them? Probably stuff that is heavy on constitutional law? If that's the case, you need to know that is nothing like what you'll be actually doing as a lawyer (most law school class are nothing like actually practicing law).
4) Both political science and communications are pretty useless degrees (I say this as a political science major). If your goal is law school and to be a lawyer, your major really doesn't matter. If taking more classes before you graduate can give your GPA a decent boost, then go for it. If you are just taking more classes to have a double major in political science and communications, then that's pretty pointless (both for law school and for trying to find a job after UG). People are not going to be impressed by a double major in political science and communications.



Ok lets clear this up
1) im shooting for 180, anything below 165 and no law school for me.
2) if I don't get a decent scholarship to a good school, no law school
3) I have passion for the environment, finding things out, critical thinking
4) I would go to immigration/civil rights/ injury type of law
5) both of my degrees are not useless, I just wont be a millionar with them
6) politics is something I want to do when im 50, not now.
7) other than MBA degree or law degree, I dont think I will stand a chance in politics. I have talked to a lot of people about this.
8) I know the financial commitment of Law School, fully aware of the dangers.

I know there are a million reasons why I shouldnt go, I know there are other paths to follow but im motivated for this and I know ivam capable.

P.s im my cell excuse any typos.


I love these "I'm shooting for" 0L types.................................. :lol:

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:I was a phil major in college. Last year was my sixth and final year, and I added poli sci as my second major. I did not take any spanish classes until all my poli sci classes were done so that all the classes would be included on my gpa and I could avoid the rule of having a cemented gpa once you complete your first UG major. Since language is required for any major I did not technically complete my first until after I finished all my poli classes because I took spanish last. A little GPA boosting loophole for those inclined to add a second major before they complete their first. GL


Wasting two years of your life for a slight GPA boost is not a good tip. You also didn't need to delay anything at all. You can take 100% of the required coursework for a major and not graduate. Simply don't fill out the graduation paperwork.

Leo10Messi
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: Double Major?

Postby Leo10Messi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 pm

I finished my B.A in poli sci in 3 years, took summer classes and paid out of pocket to avoid having to much student loans. I'm extending my College stay another year so i can get a good LSAT score and take care of some family issues. That is why i'm adding the 2nd Major, I don't want to be out of school doing nothing, so i rather stay in school and get a 2nd degree.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Leo10Messi wrote:I finished my B.A in poli sci in 3 years, took summer classes and paid out of pocket to avoid having to much student loans. I'm extending my College stay another year so i can get a good LSAT score and take care of some family issues. That is why i'm adding the 2nd Major, I don't want to be out of school doing nothing, so i rather stay in school and get a 2nd degree.


I say this as someone who enjoys school, but you're probably better off finding a job (unless the classes you are taking are super cheap, then you can just do both--take classes and work). Since you already got your first degree, your GPA is now frozen. If taking classes has an intrinsic value for you, then keep doing it. But it's not going to have very many real life benefits, especially for law school application purposes.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Double Major?

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], carlos_danger, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests