New internship - do I send addendum to law schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kdb

New internship - do I send addendum to law schools?

Postby kdb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

Hi everyone,

I finished my applications back in December. Just this month, I was offered and accepted an internship with a program that provides educational and decision-making classes to inmates. I made clear in most of my applications that I am interested in prison reform and ex-offender support, so the internship is relevant to my interests/future goals. Should I send an addendum to law schools about this? I'm currently only working part time, so it's my hope that the internship would show admissions that I'm not just sitting on my hands, so to speak, hanging out until law school.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

northwood

Re: New internship - do I send addendum to law schools?

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 am

no. If you want to use it, then sit out the cycle, and reapply ( target your top choices) and use your experience as part of your personal statement( besides if you are only going to be there for a few months it might not help you as much as you hope it would)
use it when you search for a 1L job

kdb

Postby kdb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 am

northwood wrote:no. If you want to use it, then sit out the cycle, and reapply ( target your top choices) and use your experience as part of your personal statement( besides if you are only going to be there for a few months it might not help you as much as you hope it would)

Thanks for your advice. I definitely wouldn't sit the cycle out just because of the internship. Would it make more sense to incorporate it in an LOCI at the schools that waitlist me? That is, I wouldn't just send an update regarding the internship, but I would include it in a broader discussion of why I'm right for the school.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:25 am

kdb wrote:
northwood wrote:no. If you want to use it, then sit out the cycle, and reapply ( target your top choices) and use your experience as part of your personal statement( besides if you are only going to be there for a few months it might not help you as much as you hope it would)

Thanks for your advice. I definitely wouldn't sit the cycle out just because of the internship. Would it make more sense to incorporate it in an LOCI at the schools that waitlist me? That is, I wouldn't just send an update regarding the internship, but I would include it in a broader discussion of why I'm right for the school.

That's probably fine. The internship isn't going to make a big difference in your admissions profile anyhow, but if you're going to do LOCIs (limited utility), it helps to actually have something to say in them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”