Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arkgawilson

Bronze

Advice

Post by arkgawilson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 am

Hello those more wise than I.

I have a somewhat strange situation and I was wondering if anyone might have any guidance on it. So currently I am a master's student and am applying to law programs in the Fall. I took the December LSAT and didn't do as well as I had hoped, so I plan to take it this June.

My background is in clinical psychology, so I have also been considering applying to the JD/PhD programs. At any rate, when do folks think the best time to apply is?

I have a 3.5 GPA and hope to have a pretty decent LSAT score, having taking it once and have lots of time to study and improve. Do you think that could get me into a T1 or T2 like Vanderbilt or Northwestern (since they have a PhD program I would be interested in)?

Has anyone else had a sig. amount of undergrad debt and been unable to get all of law school financed if you weren't on aid?

Also, since I have already submitted my LORs and evaluations since I took the December LSAT and had planned to apply this cycle but won't until the next, can I leave those in the LSAC system or would I need to have the date updated?

Lastly, what is the best way to qualify for aid other than LSAT and GPA.... Would my work history, non profit work, advocacy, research, and publications help, or is it more of a numbers game?

Many thanks in advance.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Re: Advice

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:17 am

I cant answer all your questions but I know that LORS stay on your account for five years I believe. I left one of my LORS from last year and used it this year. The rest I don't really know due to your dual degree, but id read some of the other posts in this and in the financial aid forum

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 am

Thank you. It's helpful to know that stuff stays on file..small comforts I suppose.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 am

arkgawilson wrote:Lastly, what is the best way to qualify for aid other than LSAT and GPA.... Would my work history, non profit work, advocacy, research, and publications help, or is it more of a numbers game?
Those things are nice to have, but it's going to be 95% numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”