How is Law school Gpa calculated????

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kevink7m

How is Law school Gpa calculated????

Postby kevink7m » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:22 pm

When law schools like Harvard release their gpa median from 3.78-3.98, is this the cgpa students had in all 4 years including their 2nd semester of 4th year? Or do you need these grades when you are applying excluding 2nd semester grades in 4th year.

TripTrip

Re: How is Law school Gpa calculated????

Postby TripTrip » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:33 pm

2nd semester 4th year is included in median reporting but is not required for you application if you are applying while still in school. The same applies for fall semester if you apply in October/November.

However, if a law school has doubts about your GPA, they will often ask for updated transcripts (from fall) or hinge your acceptance on not being a total fluke for that last semester.

kevink7m

Postby kevink7m » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:36 pm

So then when I'm applying, they will expect and understand a lower gpa? like high 3.7s or low 3.8s knowing that my 2nd semester in 4th year can boost it up?

kevink7m

Postby kevink7m » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:50 pm

TripTrip wrote:2nd semester 4th year is included in median reporting but is not required for you application if you are applying while still in school. The same applies for fall semester if you apply in October/November.

However, if a law school has doubts about your GPA, they will often ask for updated transcripts (from fall) or hinge your acceptance on not being a total fluke for that last semester.

Let's say my cgpa isn't very high due to a poor 1st year. Is it better to wait and apply so my 1st semester grades are in to raise up my cgpa or better to apply early in my case?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:52 pm

kevink7m wrote:So then when I'm applying, they will expect and understand a lower gpa? like high 3.7s or low 3.8s knowing that my 2nd semester in 4th year can boost it up?

Well, they're not going to just take your word for it that your 2nd semester 4th year grades will boost anything - they'll evaluate you on whatever GPA is on your transcript at the time you apply.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:54 pm

kevink7m wrote:So then when I'm applying, they will expect and understand a lower gpa? like high 3.7s or low 3.8s knowing that my 2nd semester in 4th year can boost it up?

They will not care about your 2nd semester 4th year GPA, because a decision will be made before then. But they can receive an update from you about your 1st semester senior year GPA. If it'll help. Which it probably won't. At that point you'll be lucky to raise GPA more than .1-.3 anyway. Your GPA at the end of Junior year is probably what you'll be stuck with. 3.7-3.8 with a 170+ LSAT will get you into some nice schools though.

kevink7m

Postby kevink7m » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

spleenworship wrote:

They will not care about your 2nd semester 4th year GPA, because a decision will be made before then. But they can receive an update from you about your 1st semester senior year GPA. If it'll help. Which it probably won't. At that point you'll be lucky to raise GPA more than .1-.3 anyway. Your GPA at the end of Junior year is probably what you'll be stuck with. 3.7-3.8 with a 170+ LSAT will get you into some nice schools though.

So in my case its better to apply as late as possible? What if some of my courses are full year courses and I get my mark at the end of 2nd semester in my 4th year?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:00 pm

kevink7m wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

So in my case its better to apply as late as possible? What if some of my courses are full year courses and I get my mark at the end of 2nd semester in my 4th year?

Those grades won't matter because schools will have made a decision before that point. (Unless I suppose you're on the waitlist hanging around till June or something.) They won't care about grades that haven't been awarded by the time they review your application.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 pm

You could graduate, go get a year or two of work experience, then apply with your final GPA being as high as you could get it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm

it wont boost it up that much... if you want to calculate the potential you need to multiply your grade value for each class ( i.e A=4 A-=3.7 B==3.3, B=3 C=2, etc) by the credits earned. then add each semester, and divide by number of credit hours. Then calculate your anticipated gpa for the final semester, and see how it shakes out ( note, it wont add or subtract that much)

fall semester fresh. year
class 1(times credit)+ class 2( times credits earned).= total points l total number of credit hours
spring semester fresh. year do the same thing
rinse and repeat...

now when you are done add up the total points for each semester and divide by total number of credit hours. be careful of the decimal point ( you dont want to think you have a gpa of 38 something... lol)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”