Does an alcohol violation ruin my chances at t-14s?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
okaygo

Does an alcohol violation ruin my chances at t-14s?

Postby okaygo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am

I'm 20 who recently was in trouble for having alcohol in my room during room inspections at my university. Do t-14s really factor student conduct in their decisions for acceptances and scholly?

WhiteyCakes

Re: Does an alcohol violation ruin my chances at t-14s?

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am

lol no

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 am

okaygo wrote:I'm 20 who recently was in trouble for having alcohol in my room during room inspections at my university. Do t-14s really factor student conduct in their decisions for acceptances and scholly?

I had the same thing happen, though it wasn't inspections so much as a gathering that got the attention of Residence Life. Just disclose, take repsonsibility, exlpain you learned your lesson. No problems.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:55 am

Great

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 am

Room inspections?! Where do you go?

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Room inspections?! Where do you go?

I work in residence life and this is fairly common throughout colleges and universities (at least on the east coast)

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:

I work in residence life and this is fairly common throughout colleges and universities (at least on the east coast)

Shoooot... they aren't allowed in our rooms without some sort of probable cause. Look at the west coast being a bastion of civil rights!

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Yeah, the room inspections are normally just to make sure you don't have fire hazards. But, like a fool, I had alcohol left out on my desk. They aren't allowed to actually go through your things at my university though.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm

okaygo wrote:Yeah, the room inspections are normally just to make sure you don't have fire hazards. But, like a fool, I had alcohol left out on my desk. They aren't allowed to actually go through your things at my university though.

Correct. Plain-view searches only.

onionz

Postby onionz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

Shoooot... they aren't allowed in our rooms without some sort of probable cause. Look at the west coast being a bastion of civil rights!

Well that's not true at MIT. Dorms there had a fund residents contributed to for buying alcohol for a party each semester. Kids would roll joints in the common spaces with impunity. I'm not even sure there was an RA.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm

I think there's a big difference between public and private schools in this kind of thing.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 pm

@onionz, yeah me school on the west coast was kind of the same. I might be outing myself here, but the school provided a free keg if you registered your party (aka, turned in a piece of paper). We did have RAs though :(

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think there's a big difference between public and private schools in this kind of thing.

Not quite. I've worked at both. Probably more to do with the general goals/vision of the administration, and how well kids handle their shit without going to the hospital.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 pm

i was at a private school on the East Coast. they needed that probable cause to come in and still could only do sight searches. silly bastards.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

okaygo wrote:I'm 20 who recently was in trouble for having alcohol in my room during room inspections at my university. Do t-14s really factor student conduct in their decisions for acceptances and scholly?

Enjoy TTTT

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:

Enjoy TTTT

Hahaha ass.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 pm

The legal industry has zero tolerance for alcohol abuse, so find a new profession

GeneralMuffin

Postby GeneralMuffin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

My (east coast, private) school used to do this under the guise of inspecting/counting room furniture or whatever. They would conveniently notify the students of this after most students had already left campus for spring break.

And Housing/Facilities could come in whenever they wanted for "maintenance" purposes.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm

GeneralMuffin wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

My (east coast, private) school used to do this under the guise of inspecting/counting room furniture or whatever. They would conveniently notify the students of this after most students had already left campus for spring break.

And Housing/Facilities could come in whenever they wanted for "maintenance" purposes.

Bottom line is that the college/university owns the rooms and you're signing a lease. They can come in whenever they want, but most schools the community development higher-ed bs, so they tell staff to follow certain procedures (probable cause, room inspections, etc) before they key in.

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 pm

It's all about the RA you get. My RA was a cool laid-back Pre-Med dude. Would overlook things and occasionally smoke weed with residents. Had a lot of friends who had RAs that would call the University Police if they smelled marijuana.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. I had a similar issue on my applications and it didn't matter. However, on my C&F I simply stated that I had gotten a written warning for violating the alcohol policy and one school simply asked me to clarify in explicit detail what happened. That was the only school that seemed to care and I ended up getting in. My only advice would that you have to be very honest and tell them exactly what happened.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”