Can we find out if we can even take bar prior law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MS415

Can we find out if we can even take bar prior law school?

Postby MS415 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:31 pm

I noticed a lot of people want to go to law school; they invest large amounts of time and money into the process,studying the LSAT,trying to get into a 3-4 year program, and hopefully being able to sit,take, and pass the bar some years later. However, I'm just wondering, and forgive me if I'm being stupid in anyway shape or form: Is there a way to find out if all of these people can even sit, take, and pass the bar in the first place? For example, should and can someone with a prior conviction-- before applying to schools--consult a lawyer or the bar association to see if they fit the "moral character" qualification to able to take the bar? For example, those of us with minor drug possession convictions or petty store theft convictions. Or, do law schools already weed out the ones who don't qualify based on these "moral character" disqualifications?

bbsg

Re: Can we find out if we can even take bar prior law school?

Postby bbsg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:37 pm

MS415 wrote:I noticed a lot of people want to go to law school; they invest large amounts of time and money into the process,studying the LSAT,trying to get into a 3-4 year program, and hopefully being able to sit,take, and pass the bar some years later. However, I'm just wondering, and forgive me if I'm being stupid in anyway shape or form: Is there a way to find out if all of these people can even sit, take, and pass the bar in the first place? For example, should and can someone with a prior conviction-- before applying to schools--consult a lawyer or the bar association to see if they fit the "moral character" qualification to able to take the bar? For example, those of us with minor drug possession convictions or petty store theft convictions. Or, do law schools already weed out the ones who don't qualify based on these "moral character" disqualifications?

Law schools have Character & Fitness portions of the application process largely for this reason. If you do have a conviction that you feel might be a problem in the future, however, I certainly think it wise to consult with a lawyer before committing yourself to 200k of debt.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MS415

Postby MS415 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:42 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Unless you're this guy you should be okay.

I read that LoL. I hope the guy really didn't rape anybody. I would reject his application if I were the on the bar committee and if he really did do any of those things. But, back to the subject at hand, I mean for people with minor drug possesions and petty store thefts they have done during their teens and late childhood. Some things done out of immaturity rather than true immoral character.

DavidHasselhoff

Postby DavidHasselhoff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:43 pm

MS415 wrote: those of us with minor drug possession convictions or petty store theft convictions. Or, do law schools already weed out the ones who don't qualify based on these "moral character" disqualifications?

I like your reference here :D

The answer is a resounding YES!

You should consult the ABA in the State you plan to pass the Bar exam and clear all your C&F issues with them before you apply. If you still have questions or are unsure, contact a C&F attorney in the State you plan to apply to be sure. For most offences, you should be fine, but a felony conviction or plea deal should definitely be cleared, or at least that's how I understand it. Clearly, since I am still a 0L, I am not qualified to answer this specifically.

North

Postby North » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:45 pm

You should be fine with a one-time minor drug or petty theft charge. But, if in doubt,
bbsg wrote:I certainly think it wise to consult with a C&F lawyer before committing yourself to 200k of debt.

MS415

Postby MS415 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 pm

DavidHasselhoff wrote:
MS415 wrote: those of us with minor drug possession convictions or petty store theft convictions. Or, do law schools already weed out the ones who don't qualify based on these "moral character" disqualifications?

I like your reference here :D

The answer is a resounding YES!

You should consult the ABA in the State you plan to pass the Bar exam and clear all your C&F issues with them before you apply. If you still have questions or are unsure, contact a C&F attorney in the State you plan to apply to be sure. For most offences, you should be fine, but a felony conviction or plea deal should definitely be cleared, or at least that's how I understand it. Clearly, since I am still a 0L, I am not qualified to answer this specifically.

Glad you are familiar with the reference.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm curious to find out what happened to that guy.

MS415

Postby MS415 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:06 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:

I'll be damned if he turned out to be the C&F lawyer I'm gonna consult. lol

Postby 20141023 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:04 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
MS415 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

I'll be damned if he turned out to be the C&F lawyer I'm gonna consult. lol

:lol:

I PM'ed that guy shortly after that thread got locked down, and just a week or so ago he finally got back with me and said that he talked with a C&F lawyer, was given the OK, and proceeded to start an internship at the D.A.'s office.

:shock: Seriously?

MS415

Postby MS415 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:20 pm

The guy got an OK for sexual misconduct? If that's true, my moral character is golden.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 pm

MS415 wrote:The guy got an OK for sexual misconduct? If that's true, my moral character is golden.

The bar is funny like that. Plagiarism means you lack the morals to be a lawyer, but raping someone just fine.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:14 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MS415

Postby MS415 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Nah I'm kidding. I figured I'd ride the coattails of a 180 troll to do a little trolling of my own. :twisted:

(I wouldn't want to PM or do anything remotely involving a rapist.)

One of the prerequisites for good lawyering: check. haha jk

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 pm

cinephile wrote:
MS415 wrote:The guy got an OK for sexual misconduct? If that's true, my moral character is golden.

The bar is funny like that. Plagiarism means you lack the morals to be a lawyer, but raping someone just fine.

Weird, huh? But I'm pretty sure I read on TLS somewhere that a 2L student totally got caught plagiarizing and still sat for the bar.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Weird, huh? But I'm pretty sure I read on TLS somewhere that a 2L student totally got caught plagiarizing and still sat for the bar.

Wait until you take professional responsibility. There are tons of funny stories in there of how people get denied for character and fitness issues. The best (worst) was a guy who used some of his student loan money (a total of 4k, although this was a while ago so I guess that was worth more) on things others than school/living expenses, so he wasn't allowed to sit for the bar for 4 years after he first applied and was denied.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 am

cinephile wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Wait until you take professional responsibility. There are tons of funny stories in there of how people get denied for character and fitness issues. The best (worst) was a guy who used some of his student loan money (a total of 4k, although this was a while ago so I guess that was worth more) on things others than school/living expenses, so he wasn't allowed to sit for the bar for 4 years after he first applied and was denied.

That's INSANE. I'll be looking forward to taking that just for those stories! You would think a lot of things could be lumped into the "living expenses" category, though.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
That's INSANE. I'll be looking forward to taking that just for those stories! You would think a lot of things could be lumped into the "living expenses" category, though.

Gambling does not (I think that's what he did). But yeah, it's scary. And it's an incentive to buy lots of new clothes and use it all up lest I have some left over and get in trouble for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”