Help with arrest addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2013new
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 am

Help with arrest addendum

Postby 2013new » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 am

Addendum- Explanation of Criminal History
I would like to take the time to address the answer on my application which indicates violation of the law. On February 7, 2012 I was apprehended at Macy’s Department Store in XX, FL due to shoplifting. I had concealed $328 dollars of merchandise in my purse. I was taken to jail, and had charges filed against me for felony grand theft. It was my first time shoplifting and I got caught. Since I was a first time offender with not previous indiscretions I was allowed to enter into a pre-trial diversion program. As part of the program I attended anti-theft classes and completed 50 community service hours.
This experience was very sobering. My actions that day were so reckless and out of character that I was forced to make significant changes in my life. Firstly, I sought counseling at the University of XX with a clinical psychologist. In my numerous sessions I began to understand that my actions were more of a cry for help than an impulse problem. I had to come to terms with some issues from my past. Secondly, following my arrest I felt I had deeply betrayed the members of my community. I decided to continue with my community service work and have since completed 300 hours of community service with Habitat for Humanity. Helping families in need has been very therapeutic for me, and I have finally accepted my mistake and forgiven myself for it. When I am attending law school I plan on continuing my path of rehabilitation by attending counseling sessions on a regular basis, and performing community service whenever possible.






Too much? Too little? Too soon? Ingenious? or Genuine? Please give any advice, kind words of hope, and honesty.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Help with arrest addendum

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 am

2013new wrote:Addendum- Explanation of Criminal History
I would like to take the time to address the answer on my application which indicates violation of the law. On February 7, 2012 I was apprehended at Macy’s Department Store in XX, FL due to shoplifting. I had concealed $328 dollars of merchandise in my purse. I was taken to jail, and had charges filed against me for felony grand theft. It was my first time shoplifting and I got caught. Since I was a first time offender with not previous indiscretions I was allowed to enter into a pre-trial diversion program. As part of the program I attended anti-theft classes and completed 50 community service hours.
This experience was very sobering. My actions that day were so reckless and out of character that I was forced to make significant changes in my life. Firstly, I sought counseling at the University of XX with a clinical psychologist. In my numerous sessions I began to understand that my actions were more of a cry for help than an impulse problem.This has to go. It sounds like an excuse. Maybe it's not, but it sounds like it. I had to come to terms with some issues from my past. Secondly, following my arrest I felt I had deeply betrayed the members of my community. I decided to continue with my community service work and have since completed 300 hours of community service with Habitat for Humanity. Helping families in need has been very therapeutic for me, and I have finally accepted my mistake and forgiven myself for it. When I am attending law school I plan on continuing my path of rehabilitation by attending counseling sessions on a regular basis, and performing community service whenever possible.


Too much? Too little? Too soon? Ingenious? or Genuine? Please give any advice, kind words of hope, and honesty.



C&F Addendum should never minimize or excuse the incident. The tone of your statement in places makes it sound like you blame your past. This will not help. A lot of the other stuff is good, but avoid any statements that marginalize the event.

Frank Description of Event -> Actions/Resolution of issue -> lessons learned

As far as too soon goes, a year ago is pretty recent for something like this. Adcomms frown pretty hard on dishonest conduct. That's not to say it will destroy you, but it's not going to help.

2013new
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 am

Re: Help with arrest addendum

Postby 2013new » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
2013new wrote:Addendum- Explanation of Criminal History
I would like to take the time to address the answer on my application which indicates violation of the law. On February 7, 2012 I was apprehended at Macy’s Department Store in XX, FL due to shoplifting. I had concealed $328 dollars of merchandise in my purse. I was taken to jail, and had charges filed against me for felony grand theft. It was my first time shoplifting and I got caught. Since I was a first time offender with not previous indiscretions I was allowed to enter into a pre-trial diversion program. As part of the program I attended anti-theft classes and completed 50 community service hours.
This experience was very sobering. My actions that day were so reckless and out of character that I was forced to make significant changes in my life. Firstly, I sought counseling at the University of XX with a clinical psychologist. In my numerous sessions I began to understand that my actions were more of a cry for help than an impulse problem.This has to go. It sounds like an excuse. Maybe it's not, but it sounds like it. I had to come to terms with some issues from my past. Secondly, following my arrest I felt I had deeply betrayed the members of my community. I decided to continue with my community service work and have since completed 300 hours of community service with Habitat for Humanity. Helping families in need has been very therapeutic for me, and I have finally accepted my mistake and forgiven myself for it. When I am attending law school I plan on continuing my path of rehabilitation by attending counseling sessions on a regular basis, and performing community service whenever possible.


Too much? Too little? Too soon? Ingenious? or Genuine? Please give any advice, kind words of hope, and honesty.



C&F Addendum should never minimize or excuse the incident. The tone of your statement in places makes it sound like you blame your past. This will not help. A lot of the other stuff is good, but avoid any statements that marginalize the event.

Frank Description of Event -> Actions/Resolution of issue -> lessons learned

As far as too soon goes, a year ago is pretty recent for something like this. Adcomms frown pretty hard on dishonest conduct. That's not to say it will destroy you, but it's not going to help.



So just omit that part and it is fine? I don't have hopes of going to a big name law school, I would like to get in to Stetson Law, or maybe even Barry School of Law, they're very low and the totem poll, lsat 160, gpa 3.6 do you think they may overlook my infraction?

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13661
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Help with arrest addendum

Postby star fox » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 am

AdComms frown heavily on someone who still steals a $50 textbook yet have little problem duping gullible students into coughing up close to $50 K a year in tuition so tenured faculty can stuff their pockets even though they know most graduates will be S.O.L when it comes to paying back the money borrowed to attend their precious school. Welcome to America in 2013. :roll:

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13661
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Help with arrest addendum

Postby star fox » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

2013new wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
2013new wrote:Addendum- Explanation of Criminal History
I would like to take the time to address the answer on my application which indicates violation of the law. On February 7, 2012 I was apprehended at Macy’s Department Store in XX, FL due to shoplifting. I had concealed $328 dollars of merchandise in my purse. I was taken to jail, and had charges filed against me for felony grand theft. It was my first time shoplifting and I got caught. Since I was a first time offender with not previous indiscretions I was allowed to enter into a pre-trial diversion program. As part of the program I attended anti-theft classes and completed 50 community service hours.
This experience was very sobering. My actions that day were so reckless and out of character that I was forced to make significant changes in my life. Firstly, I sought counseling at the University of XX with a clinical psychologist. In my numerous sessions I began to understand that my actions were more of a cry for help than an impulse problem.This has to go. It sounds like an excuse. Maybe it's not, but it sounds like it. I had to come to terms with some issues from my past. Secondly, following my arrest I felt I had deeply betrayed the members of my community. I decided to continue with my community service work and have since completed 300 hours of community service with Habitat for Humanity. Helping families in need has been very therapeutic for me, and I have finally accepted my mistake and forgiven myself for it. When I am attending law school I plan on continuing my path of rehabilitation by attending counseling sessions on a regular basis, and performing community service whenever possible.


Too much? Too little? Too soon? Ingenious? or Genuine? Please give any advice, kind words of hope, and honesty.



C&F Addendum should never minimize or excuse the incident. The tone of your statement in places makes it sound like you blame your past. This will not help. A lot of the other stuff is good, but avoid any statements that marginalize the event.

Frank Description of Event -> Actions/Resolution of issue -> lessons learned

As far as too soon goes, a year ago is pretty recent for something like this. Adcomms frown pretty hard on dishonest conduct. That's not to say it will destroy you, but it's not going to help.



So just omit that part and it is fine? I don't have hopes of going to a big name law school, I would like to get in to Stetson Law, or maybe even Barry School of Law, they're very low and the totem poll, lsat 160, gpa 3.6 do you think they may overlook my infraction?


OT but re-take the LSAT. Those schools are committing a much bigger theft than what you did. You're going to have to rob at lot more than department stores to pay back your loans (and be way of scholarships with stipulations like upper 25 % of the class) At the very least, consider applying to a strong regional in the area you want to work.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Help with arrest addendum

Postby gaud » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 am

Your addendum is too much. Stick to the facts.


On this date --------. I was arrested and charged with ----------------------. I successfully completed my probation/paid my fines/etc. I have not been in trouble since.


That's it. Schools don't want to read a story.

2013new
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 am

Re: Help with arrest addendum

Postby 2013new » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 pm

gaud wrote:Your addendum is too much. Stick to the facts.


On this date --------. I was arrested and charged with ----------------------. I successfully completed my probation/paid my fines/etc. I have not been in trouble since.


That's it. Schools don't want to read a story.





I would like to take the time to address the answer on my application which indicates violation of the law. On February 7, 2013 I shoplifted. I was taken to jail, and had charges filed against me for felony grand theft. It was my first time shoplifting and I got caught. I was ordered to enter into a pre-trial diversion program. I completed XX community service hours, and an anti-shoplifting class.
This experience changed me for the better. I now have completed 300 hours of voluntary community service with Habitat for Humanity. I also attend counseling on a regular basis.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest