Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Weshallsee
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Weshallsee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 am

Big fish small pond vs. little fish big pond when applying for jobs. maybe better chances of hugher class rank, prof relations, networking, perks, scholarship, notoriety, etc at a TTT? Or does the degree perhaps do most of the work for you. And I'm not talking about Harvard... But like T25 and below.

Please give your opinion and why/ why not the other. Thanks!

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 am

It's best to be the biggest baddest mafuqin fish in the biggest pond.

Weshallsee
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Weshallsee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 am

stillwater wrote:It's best to be the biggest baddest mafuqin fish in the biggest pond.


Well obviously but if not...

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby goldeneye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 am

Weshallsee wrote:Big fish small pond vs. little fish big pond when applying for jobs. maybe better chances of hugher class rank, prof relations, networking, perks, scholarship, notoriety, etc at a TTT? Or does the degree perhaps do most of the work for you. And I'm not talking about Harvard... But like T25 and below.

Please give your opinion and why/ why not the other. Thanks!


No. law school grades are not predictable. everyone goes into school wanting to be #1. Go where it's cheap.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 am

Terrible plan.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby dingbat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 am

I tried that. It doesn't work.
The same attitude that lets you choose the lesser school results in the lesser class rank

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 am

You will stand out - you will shine bright - you will be the most special snow flake - on the unemployment line.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am

reasonable_man wrote:You will stand out - you will shine bright - you will be the most special snow flake - on the unemployment line.

Be like Rihanna - shine bright like a diamond

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 am

Choose the school that gives you the biggest scholarship that doesn't have ridiculous stipulations (should be like top 50% stip at the most stringent - if you fail to meet stip, drop out after first year). The reason is that a T25 (or T20 or T30 or T50) is not really a big pond ITE. It is pretty mediocre. The only schools that are truly big ponds are HYS and possibly the rest of the T14. I will qualify that by saying that if the T1 school places unusually well in a market you have ties to, it might be worth it. If the T1 is not a big pond, it makes sense to go to the cheapest law school, again keeping in mind that you should drop out if you lose your scholarship or fall below the grades necessary to get a job.

Also, some TT/TTT/TTTTs actually place better than some T1s (worst placement I have seen, from any tier, is from American which is T1...I'd bet half the unaccredited schools outplace it). If your T1 places worse it equal to the TT/TTT you are considering, why would you go there? Even if the T1 places a bit better, is that worth 100K+?

So the way to think about it is not little fish in big pond v big fish in little pond but employment outcomes and cost.

Lastly, you should really retake if these are your options. You could get a big scholarship to the T25 with a better LSAT and have your cake and eat it too.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby dingbat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:48 am

rad lulz wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:You will stand out - you will shine bright - you will be the most special snow flake - on the unemployment line.

Be like Rihanna - shine bright like a diamond

Not bright like a diamond - dull like a rock

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby heythatslife » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 am

Don't matter how brightly you shine if people ain't looking your way.

User avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Sheffield » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 am

Go as big as you can.

Many businesses never get started because of the lack of lender money. That is clearly not the case with Law School, lender money is available if you are entrepreneur minded and willing to put yourself out there. If so, secure the best law school you can and let the chips fall.

Note, TLS has a multitude of horror story threads but rarely (if ever) do I see threads highlighting the thousands (or tens of thousands) who are delighted with their law school decision and successful outcome. I guess there is a perfectly good rationale for that, but admittedly, I'm not certain why.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Sheffield wrote:Go as big as you can.

Many businesses never get started because of the lack of lender money. That is clearly not the case with Law School, lender money is available if you are entrepreneur minded and willing to put yourself out there. If so, secure the best law school you can and let the chips fall.

Note, TLS has a multitude of horror story threads but rarely (if ever) do I see threads highlighting the thousands (or tens of thousands) who are delighted with their law school decision and successful outcome. I guess there is a perfectly good rationale for that, but admittedly, I'm not certain why.


The fact that you can assume $300K of debt and not be virtually guaranteed a job on the other side is why there is this sentiment on TLS. And understandably.

I'm with you though. I'm going to take the gamble. If I put everything I have into it I figure there is only a very, very small chance I don't land a good job right out of graduation. Even if I do have trouble finding a job, it's not like the world will end; there will always be a way forward.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Sheffield wrote:
Note, TLS has a multitude of horror story threads but rarely (if ever) do I see threads highlighting the thousands (or tens of thousands) who are delighted with their law school decision and successful outcome. I guess there is a perfectly good rationale for that, but admittedly, I'm not certain why.


You do realize that's because there's no a soul on Earth who is delighted with law school.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Ludo! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Saw in your other thread you're considering phoenix school of law. Don't go to law school

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 pm

STETSON LAW IS A SCAM.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby goldeneye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
Sheffield wrote:Go as big as you can.

Many businesses never get started because of the lack of lender money. That is clearly not the case with Law School, lender money is available if you are entrepreneur minded and willing to put yourself out there. If so, secure the best law school you can and let the chips fall.

Note, TLS has a multitude of horror story threads but rarely (if ever) do I see threads highlighting the thousands (or tens of thousands) who are delighted with their law school decision and successful outcome. I guess there is a perfectly good rationale for that, but admittedly, I'm not certain why.


The fact that you can assume $300K of debt and not be virtually guaranteed a job on the other side is why there is this sentiment on TLS. And understandably.

I'm with you though. I'm going to take the gamble. If I put everything I have into it I figure there is only a very, very small chance I don't land a good job right out of graduation. Even if I do have trouble finding a job, it's not like the world will end; there will always be a way forward.


got damn people like you are the worst. You're so happy to be in debt that others foot the bill for. You realize you have a 50% chance that you won't land a good job. Not a "very, very small chance". EDUCATE YOURSELF.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 pm

goldeneye wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
Sheffield wrote:Go as big as you can.

Many businesses never get started because of the lack of lender money. That is clearly not the case with Law School, lender money is available if you are entrepreneur minded and willing to put yourself out there. If so, secure the best law school you can and let the chips fall.

Note, TLS has a multitude of horror story threads but rarely (if ever) do I see threads highlighting the thousands (or tens of thousands) who are delighted with their law school decision and successful outcome. I guess there is a perfectly good rationale for that, but admittedly, I'm not certain why.


The fact that you can assume $300K of debt and not be virtually guaranteed a job on the other side is why there is this sentiment on TLS. And understandably.

I'm with you though. I'm going to take the gamble. If I put everything I have into it I figure there is only a very, very small chance I don't land a good job right out of graduation. Even if I do have trouble finding a job, it's not like the world will end; there will always be a way forward.


got damn people like you are the worst. You're so happy to be in debt that others foot the bill for. You realize you have a 50% chance that you won't land a good job. Not a "very, very small chance". EDUCATE YOURSELF.


TBF, he's got some pretty good options on his LSN.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

No, its actually harder to stand out at lesser law schools because all the smartest people think that so the lesser law schools are actually filled with the smarter people and the best law schools are filled with only the people smart enough to get in, but not smart enough to go to a lesser law school. Therefore, in order to most easily standout you should go to the best law school possible.

True story.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby goldeneye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
Sheffield wrote:Go as big as you can.

Many businesses never get started because of the lack of lender money. That is clearly not the case with Law School, lender money is available if you are entrepreneur minded and willing to put yourself out there. If so, secure the best law school you can and let the chips fall.

Note, TLS has a multitude of horror story threads but rarely (if ever) do I see threads highlighting the thousands (or tens of thousands) who are delighted with their law school decision and successful outcome. I guess there is a perfectly good rationale for that, but admittedly, I'm not certain why.


The fact that you can assume $300K of debt and not be virtually guaranteed a job on the other side is why there is this sentiment on TLS. And understandably.

I'm with you though. I'm going to take the gamble. If I put everything I have into it I figure there is only a very, very small chance I don't land a good job right out of graduation. Even if I do have trouble finding a job, it's not like the world will end; there will always be a way forward.


got damn people like you are the worst. You're so happy to be in debt that others foot the bill for. You realize you have a 50% chance that you won't land a good job. Not a "very, very small chance". EDUCATE YOURSELF.


TBF, he's got some pretty good options on his LSN.


true, but encouraging others to do so is wrong. And his mindset still isn't right. Just because you go to Michigan doesn't guarantee you a job. It just means if you go with scholarship, you have more flexibility.

User avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Sheffield » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:08 pm

goldeneye wrote:got damn people like you are the worst. You're so happy to be in debt that others foot the bill for. You realize you have a 50% chance that you won't land a good job. Not a "very, very small chance". EDUCATE YOURSELF.

That’s why they devised the T-14, so your odds would be in the favorable 90% range.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby goldeneye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Sheffield wrote:
goldeneye wrote:got damn people like you are the worst. You're so happy to be in debt that others foot the bill for. You realize you have a 50% chance that you won't land a good job. Not a "very, very small chance". EDUCATE YOURSELF.

That’s why they devised the T-14, so your odds would be in the favorable 90% range.


it's not 90%. I"m not saying those aren't good choices, it just should be largely about finances.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby nickb285 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:No, its actually harder to stand out at lesser law schools because all the smartest people think that so the lesser law schools are actually filled with the smarter people and the best law schools are filled with only the people smart enough to get in, but not smart enough to go to a lesser law school. Therefore, in order to most easily standout you should go to the best law school possible.

True story.


TCR

User avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Sheffield » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:34 pm

cinephile wrote:You do realize that's because there's no a soul on Earth who is delighted with law school.

LOL, no one is delighted with law school, it is hard work. The key word being WORK. That said, I wish TLS had an area that highlighted the many successes derived from LS. But I have come to accept, that is not going to ever happen.

If you choose a lessor school, what comes to mind is what a wise man in an Indiana Jones movie said.... "you have chosen poorly" (right before the guy turned to ashes!).

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Easier to stand out at lesser law school?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm

dingbat wrote:I tried that. It doesn't work.
The same attitude that lets you choose the lesser school results in the lesser class rank


I think this is an insightful post. The "easier to stand out because I go to a lesser school" is 100% the wrong attitude for success.

I do think the culture is significantly different as you go down the rankings. The top of the class at pretty much every school is very smart, and could compete at YHS. But the bottom of the class is a different story. People whose primary concern is not about grades. This is missed a lot on TLS, in my opinion. Just walking through the halls of my school and looking at the composite photos is telling-- dozens of people with dogs, lots of people with burger king hats, fishing rods, frat star shades, and of course, people next to each other in the alphabet who collude and point at each other or make funny faces. My personal favorite-- dude brahs who borrow someone else's infant child for the photos. Pretty hilarious to see the same baby being awkwardly cradled by three or four people on the same composite.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 6 guests