Hilarious NYU Propaganda

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
idontwantdebt1467

Hilarious NYU Propaganda

Postby idontwantdebt1467 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 pm

http://blogs.law.nyu.edu/lifeatnyulaw/r ... hool-debt/

Can't believe they posted this on their blog. "I like to think of it differently, not that I am paying for my schooling but that my school is paying me. I like to pretend I am a bank that my school believes in."

Aww, honey. You think your school is paying you? Aww, honey.

cinephile

Re: Hilarious NYU Propaganda

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the day.

rcthebigred1

Postby rcthebigred1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 pm

What a fucking joke.

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 pm

NYU Financial Aid FAQ wrote:Q: Does NYU Offer Any Loans?

A: No. NYU is not a lender.

http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/faqs/index.htm

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 pm

It’s a small distinction, but it makes me feel more valuable and less financially fragile.

special snowflake

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 pm

idontwantdebt1467 wrote:http://blogs.law.nyu.edu/lifeatnyulaw/re-imagining-law-school-debt/

Can't believe they posted this on their blog. "I like to think of it differently, not that I am paying for my schooling but that my school is paying me. I like to pretend I am a bank that my school believes in."

Aww, honey. You think your school is paying you? Aww, honey.

This blog post is offensive.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 pm

So, instead of seeing a loan as a giant weight I must carry, I think of myself as the bank. My school invests money in me, and I use their cash investment to make an even better investment with a greater return. Just like a savings account, I am given money to play with in exchange for a promise to pay interest and pay back the principal when requested. Education, then, is how I chose to play with my money.

Something about that entire paragraph just makes me lol and cry at the same time. I think it's the use of the verb "play".

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 pm

wow...i go to nyu and this just makes me cringe. i've seen this guy in the hallways a few times and now i don't think i will be able to stop shaking my head when i see him. that post makes no sense at all to say the least.

remainsofthebay

Postby remainsofthebay » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 pm

It's like a rape victim saying, "I get the chance to be a prostitute as long as I pretend I like it"

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Nate Stein is a 1L who once wanted to be a professional author, but there was also a time when he wanted to be an astronaut. Now all of his writing (and space travel) is done for fun. His interests include (but are not limited to) photography, poetry, pianos, and people who smile.

i mean, what else is there to say here? you can't make this up. this kid probably genuinely wanted to go to law school to change the world or something (another invidious aspect of the whole system is this pumped up sense of social justice it forces students to have or pretend to have, while the profs keep cashing checks). now here he is, blogging for the man.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 pm

pastapplicant wrote:wow...i go to nyu and this just makes me cringe. i've seen this guy in the hallways a few times and now i don't think i will be able to stop shaking my head when i see him. that post makes no sense at all to say the least.

He probably gets paid for what he writes. Don't judge him too harshly.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 am

Since when does the school provide the loans? They're just collecting your checks. Doesn't matter to them what happens to you.. well except for their stupid precious USNWR ranks but f it they can just lie on that. It's the government that's "investing" in you. And the government is pretty freaking stupid.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 am

cinephile wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:wow...i go to nyu and this just makes me cringe. i've seen this guy in the hallways a few times and now i don't think i will be able to stop shaking my head when i see him. that post makes no sense at all to say the least.

He probably gets paid for what he writes. Don't judge him too harshly.

he doesn't get paid. volunteer strivers write the entries and the school just checks them to see if they are acceptable.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 am

pastapplicant wrote:
he doesn't get paid. volunteer strivers write the entries and the school just checks them to see if they are acceptable.

Well, I can't say much for BU, but at least they pay their bloggers. Why in God's name would anyone do this for fun?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 am

It's an interesting post with a novel point that needs to be thought about more thoroughly.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 am

LexLeon wrote:It's an interesting post with a novel point that needs to be thought about more thoroughly.

you need to stop posting.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 am

LexLeon wrote:It's an interesting post with a novel point that needs to be thought about more thoroughly.

sincerely hope you're trolling. if this kid thinks the school is making an investment in him, they need a new CFO. Rate of return on a law student, I imagine, isn't very good regardless of low interest rates in banks.

Imagine putting 210,000 into a bank account, letting it sit there for 10 years. Probably more likely to make a profit than on some law students who take a long time to pay back debt.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 am

goldeneye wrote:

sincerely hope you're trolling. if this kid thinks the school is making an investment in him, they need a new CFO. Rate of return on a law student, I imagine, isn't very good regardless of low interest rates in banks.

Imagine putting 210,000 into a bank account, letting it sit there for 10 years. Probably more likely to make a profit than on some law students who take a long time to pay back debt.

look at his post history. this drivel is par for the course.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:35 pm

stillwater wrote:

Hah, if Socrates was on TLS you'd probably say the same thing to him.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:37 pm

LexLeon wrote:
stillwater wrote:

:?:

Graystone

Postby Graystone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm

NYU 3L here. Seriously, NYU? This makes us look naive/stupid. We need to take this down, like, yesterday.

J90

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:01 pm

I like the sidebar description.

"Nate Stein is a 1L who once wanted to be a professional author, but there was also a time when he wanted to be an astronaut. Now all of his writing (and space travel) is done for fun. His interests include (but are not limited to) photography, poetry, pianos, and people who smile."

...and people who smile? Really? REALLY?

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm

LexLeon wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Correct. Socrates was the biggest troll in history.

Also, this guy could make a career writing for Cooley.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:17 pm

He's interested in people that smile? Man this kid is gonna hate legal practice. Should consider dropping out and being a kindergarten teacher.

xjustyoursmile

Postby xjustyoursmile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:28 pm

LexLeon wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Socrates is the King of Trolls, my copy of 'The Republic' is filled with side notes made by me in pen that read 'LOL!", "xD", and "Haha, what???" (usually next to something Socrates says to other people).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”