FIU Law Prospective Students- ask your questions here!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mephistopheles

Re: FIU Law Prospective Students- ask your questions here!

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

FIULaw_Admissions wrote:
stillwater wrote:
FIULaw_Admissions wrote:95% of graduates are employed within 9 months of graduation. Also, the career center at FIU is very helpful with finding jobs for current law students and graduates.

what sort of jobs do these 95% get? whats your biglaw percentage?

The 95% figure includes all kinds of jobs but are not necessarily law related. I will ask the career services department for the exact law related job percentage and post it on here once I have the information.

also, please request a breakdown of areas/sectors/industries of employment.

thanks!

FIULaw_Admissions

Postby FIULaw_Admissions » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:22 pm

For more information on FIU Law's statistics including its current employment statistics please visit the following link:
http://law.fiu.edu/prospective-students/consumer-information/

Postby 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:04 pm

FIULaw_Admissions wrote:For more information on FIU Law's statistics including its current employment statistics please visit the following link:

Thank you for that. This is basically the same data that LST pulls from.

We are not trying to be critical without reason, but if you look at your own school's statistics, you will see the following for full-time, long-term placement:

Full-time Long-term JD-Required: 61% (105/173)

As you can see, this is nowhere near the 95% you posted on the previous page. It gets even worse when we begin to analyze the data even further:

Law Firms (Solo): 6% (10/173)
Law Firms (2-10): 24% (42/173)
Law Firms (11-25): 9% (16/173)
Law Firms (26-50): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (51-100): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (101-250): 3% (6/173)
Law Firms (251-500): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (501+): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (Unknown): 10% (18/173)
Business & Industry: 7% (12/173)
Government: 9% (16/173)
Public Interest: 1% (2/173)
Clerkships (Federal): 1% (1/173)
Clerkships (State & Local): 1% (1/173)
Clerkships (Other): 1% (1/173)
Academia: 3% (5/173)

Your second highest placement is into "Unknown" law firms. This is why you might get some unhappy comments for trying to sell such bad odds on this site.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Do you anticipate seeing your admissions numbers drop when the Florida Space Coast School of Law opens?

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:17 pm

What exactly is an "unkown" law firm?

fiulaw

Postby fiulaw » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:53 pm

FIULaw_Admissions wrote:95% of graduates are employed within 9 months of graduation. Also, the career center at FIU is very helpful with finding jobs for current law students and graduates.

Dear Blog Readers,

I am the Associate Director for Recruitment at the FIU College of Law (a public law school). This thread came to my attention earlier today. Simply said, the posting was inaccurate. The correct data appears at http://law.fiu.edu/prospective-students ... formation/. The data details how many of our graduates work in full-time vs. part-times jobs, how many clerked, how many are employed by firms (and of what size firm), government, academia, etc. I encourage you as well to consult publications such as National Jurist. They just completed an analysis of law schools, and in the most recent issue had two relevant articles: one on law school rankings that includes letter grades for employment statistics and a second article on bridges to employment.

The student who started this thread is committed to our school, yet we are the individuals who are in the best position to provide factual data. Please contact me directly if you have any questions. Our phone number is 305 348 8006.

I hope this provides some greater clarity.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm

fiulaw wrote:

Dear Blog Readers,

I am the Associate Director for Recruitment at the FIU College of Law (a public law school). This thread came to my attention earlier today. Simply said, the posting was inaccurate. The correct data appears at http://law.fiu.edu/prospective-students ... formation/. The data details how many of our graduates work in full-time vs. part-times jobs, how many clerked, how many are employed by firms (and of what size firm), government, academia, etc. I encourage you as well to consult publications such as National Jurist. They just completed an analysis of law schools, and in the most recent issue had two relevant articles: one on law school rankings that includes letter grades for employment statistics and a second article on bridges to employment.

The student who started this thread is committed to our school, yet we are the individuals who are in the best position to provide factual data. Please contact me directly if you have any questions. Our phone number is 305 348 8006.

I hope this provides some greater clarity.

What is it with shitboomers always confusing forums and blogs?

Postby 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:27 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:What exactly is an "unkown" law firm?

It means that the school doesn't know how many lawyers are at the firms that those students went to.

Unfortunately, there is only 1 school that places more graduates into full-time, long-term positions at "unknown" law firms than FIU, but at least it is at a lower ratio:

Florida International University: 18/173 (10%)
Stetson University: 19/322 (6%)

Even if you go by ratio instead of raw numbers, Florida International University is still second from the bottom:

Florida International University: 10% (18/173)
Ohio Northern University: 12% (12/97)

One other piece of irony is the fact that even though the name of the school is Florida International University, they placed exactly 0 students in foreign countries.

This data is all from the ABA.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

kappycaft1 has been coming in scorching hot as of late. Accommodated LSAT guy got you amped. Definitely digging it.

slawww

Postby slawww » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:One other piece of irony is the fact that even though the name of the school is Florida International University, they placed exactly 0 students in foreign countries.

Well, to be fair, the name was given long before their law ever existed because of the international student body.

I'm from South Florida and FIU does have a good reputation in Miami, generally speaking. I can't speak for the law school, though, since I'm a 0L. I don't think FIU is a bad choice for someone who wants to stay in Miami, doesn't want biglaw, and will graduate with a very minimal debt load. That being said, I won't be attending FIU, but I don't think it's a terrible choice for everyone, depending on the situation.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm

I lived in So Fla all my life and never once met an FIU attorney. FWIW

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
FIULaw_Admissions wrote:For more information on FIU Law's statistics including its current employment statistics please visit the following link:

Thank you for that. This is basically the same data that LST pulls from.

We are not trying to be critical without reason, but if you look at your own school's statistics, you will see the following for full-time, long-term placement:

Full-time Long-term JD-Required: 61% (105/173)

As you can see, this is nowhere near the 95% you posted on the previous page. It gets even worse when we begin to analyze the data even further:

Law Firms (Solo): 6% (10/173)
Law Firms (2-10): 24% (42/173)
Law Firms (11-25): 9% (16/173)
Law Firms (26-50): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (51-100): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (101-250): 3% (6/173)
Law Firms (251-500): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (501+): 1% (1/173)
Law Firms (Unknown): 10% (18/173)
Business & Industry: 7% (12/173)
Government: 9% (16/173)
Public Interest: 1% (2/173)
Clerkships (Federal): 1% (1/173)
Clerkships (State & Local): 1% (1/173)
Clerkships (Other): 1% (1/173)
Academia: 3% (5/173)

Your second highest placement is into "Unknown" law firms. This is why you might get some unhappy comments for trying to sell such bad odds on this site.

Looking at these stats, only 6% of students found employment at firms of over 25 attorneys. Obviously you guys haven't graduated yet, but do you believe that working at a firm of less than 26 attorneys generally allows alumni to service their debt burden? Are these favorable job outcomes? If, before you started FIU, I told you when you graduated you'd be working at a 15-attorney firm, would you still have decided to attend FIU? I don't know anything about the South Florida job market but I'm worried that even those grads lucky enough to secure employment will be unable to pay down their debt if they attended at sticker.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:22 am

Yukos wrote:Looking at these stats, only 6% of students found employment at firms of over 25 attorneys. Obviously you guys haven't graduated yet, but do you believe that working at a firm of less than 26 attorneys generally allows alumni to service their debt burden? Are these favorable job outcomes? If, before you started FIU, I told you when you graduated you'd be working at a 15-attorney firm, would you still have decided to attend FIU? I don't know anything about the South Florida job market but I'm worried that even those grads lucky enough to secure employment will be unable to pay down their debt if they attended at sticker.

I will be interested to see if the FIU students come back to answer any more questions. It seems like their dean of admissions saw that they'd made a post on TLS and was like :shock: SHIT :shock: ............ I wonder if he told them not to come back after he apologized. :lol:

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:25 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Yukos wrote:Looking at these stats, only 6% of students found employment at firms of over 25 attorneys. Obviously you guys haven't graduated yet, but do you believe that working at a firm of less than 26 attorneys generally allows alumni to service their debt burden? Are these favorable job outcomes? If, before you started FIU, I told you when you graduated you'd be working at a 15-attorney firm, would you still have decided to attend FIU? I don't know anything about the South Florida job market but I'm worried that even those grads lucky enough to secure employment will be unable to pay down their debt if they attended at sticker.

I will be interested to see if the FIU students come back to answer any more questions. It seems like their dean of admissions saw that they'd made a post on TLS and was like :shock: SHIT :shock: ............ I wonder if he told them not to come back after he apologized. :lol:

That's the impression I got but I thought it was worth a shot. I really am curious how the students would/will answer these questions.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 am

3% academia is out-placing some T14s

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 am

TheThriller wrote:3% academia is out-placing some T14s

Yes, but you will notice that FIU has a 1% placement rate into federal clerkships, a 6% placement rate into law firms of over 25 attorneys, and a 3% placement rate into academia; this comes out to be a mere 10% of their graduates who will be finding decent-paying jobs as actual lawyers.

I would be honestly interested to see how FIU is able to place so many graduates into academia.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:07 am

kappycaft1 wrote:I would be honestly interested to see how FIU is able to place so many graduates into academia.

Could it be "academia," like getting a PhD? Or maybe people who already had PhDs getting gigs in that field? Or teaching at a community college?

slawww

Postby slawww » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 am

kappycaft1 wrote:Yes, but you will notice that FIU has a 1% placement rate into federal clerkships, a 6% placement rate into law firms of over 25 attorneys, and a 3% placement rate into academia; this comes out to be a mere 10% of their graduates who will be finding decent-paying jobs as actual lawyers.

This is true; but I don't think working for a small firm necessarily means you will earn a low paying salary. My best friend's dad works at a firm with 3 attorneys, and he makes about 100k/year with awesome hours/quality of life. He might be more of the exception rather than the rule, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 am

Why do shit schools try to post on TLS? Its a serious question. Do they not at least skim the boards first to see that most people on this site use LST? I guess FIU and other trash cans are misinformed, and as such, they want to lure more misinformed law students. Maybe the FIU person was told if he can get one person to attend they will knock off some of his debt. Idk. It just doesn't make any since for an over priced trash can of a school in an over priced town, with shit job prospects, to post on one of the more informed law school sites.

Stop wasting your time here trying to lure idiots. Work on your job placement.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:18 am

If you do work very closely with admissions there, will you ask them to submit their latest NALP report to LST?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fiu&show=NALP

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am

cahwc12 wrote:If you do work very closely with admissions there, will you ask them to submit their latest NALP report to LST?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fiu&show=NALP
+1. This would be the best way to help prospective FIU students, and it would answer many of the questions they should be asking.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Throttle wrote:Why do shit schools try to post on TLS? Its a serious question. Do they not at least skim the boards first to see that most people on this site use LST? I guess FIU and other trash cans are misinformed, and as such, they want to lure more misinformed law students. Maybe the FIU person was told if he can get one person to attend they will knock off some of his debt. Idk. It just doesn't make any since for an over priced trash can of a school in an over priced town, with shit job prospects, to post on one of the more informed law school sites.

Stop wasting your time here trying to lure idiots. Work on your job placement.

HYPO: You are a good 1L at your local TTT. You are given the opportunity to make $$ by posting on TLS.

You make it sound like this is a tough decision.

But idk why the school does it, tbqh.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 am

Wow, kappycaft1 cleaned house on here. This is one of the only threads that's made me LOL on TLS.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm

To the admin or students answering questions,

Would you be willing to release an expense report to we can see how student tuition is dispersed amongst the law school and undergraduate institution?

Curious to see how the 150k+ tuition is being spent.

Thanks.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 pm

who would have thought, this school might actually break T2 next year
Not that far behind UM in terms of ranking. But that is just ranking, employment stats are a whole other thing

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”