FIU Law Prospective Students- ask your questions here! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
howlery

Bronze

Re: FIU Law Prospective Students- ask your questions here!

Post by howlery » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote: Especially when you consider UF/FSU is basically the same price for in-state.
Yeah, and between FIU and UF, guess which one gives you a marginally better shot at a job?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fiu

But JamesDean is correct, the best option for a Floridian is to go to a better school out of state and try to come back. Although that rad law guy warns against the value of prestige once you strike out at OCI.
I know this is an alt but becoming the bearsgrl equivalent for FIU isn't a good look either.
Or you could go to FSU and have the best shot of finding a legal job. Its just as easy to get in to and cheaper than FIU when you factor in cost of living. The class size is less than 200 (more than FIU but less than UF). TCR is to retake and GTFO of Florida, but if you must stay go to FSU.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fsu
/thread

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 am

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote: Especially when you consider UF/FSU is basically the same price for in-state.
Yeah, and between FIU and UF, guess which one gives you a marginally better shot at a job?

But JamesDean is correct, the best option for a Floridian is to go to a better school out of state and try to come back. Although that rad law guy warns against the value of prestige once you strike out at OCI.
:roll: I take everything that guy says with a big grain of salt. IMO, if you lived/went to school/worked in Florida pre-law school, I think at equal grades, a Florida legal organization (DA's office, etc.) would look at someone who went to Columbia more favorably than someone who went to FIU/Nova/FL Coastal/Stetson/FL A&M/etc.. UF/USF/FSU are big Florida names, so maybe the difference would be less for those schools vs. a T14. However, there would be networking advantages to staying in FL for law school, and if you strike out at OCI and are looking at going into small law/PI/government (before any angry a-holes jump on me, note that I am not calling govt/PI a fallback option), connections make a big deal as there are far fewer of those types of jobs. However, IMO one could easily overcome that by working their 1L and/or 2L summers in FL, and networking their ass off (which we should all be doing anyways).

I'm not even in school yet, and I've already been contacted by someone who is an alumnus at T14 I'm going to, is a partner at a biglaw firm at their FL office, and we went to the same FL undergrad. I'm going to be in correspondence with him for sure. There are all sorts of opportunities like these that people can take advantage of.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:28 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:IMO, if you lived/went to school/worked in Florida pre-law school, I think at equal grades, a Florida legal organization (DA's office, etc.) would look at someone who went to Columbia more favorably than someone who went to FIU/Nova/FL Coastal/Stetson/FL A&M/etc.. UF/USF/FSU are big Florida names
Oh, god, I hope USF never opens a law school.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:IMO, if you lived/went to school/worked in Florida pre-law school, I think at equal grades, a Florida legal organization (DA's office, etc.) would look at someone who went to Columbia more favorably than someone who went to FIU/Nova/FL Coastal/Stetson/FL A&M/etc.. UF/USF/FSU are big Florida names
Oh, god, I hope USF never opens a law school.
Oops didn't mean to include them :lol:

Balleeta

New

Post by Balleeta » Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 pm

I imagine that all of you here are either law students or prospective law students; please, grow up and get a life. It is so ridiculous to see grown people judging a school just based on what they (think) they know about it. Who cares? If you don't want to go to FIU, don't go. Don't judge people that go either. We have enough morons in the workplace who judge people by ridiculous standards (i.e. glamour of the school they attended). Study hard, become a good and ethical professional, and earn your respect as a lawyer. There are many people who graduated from top law schools who are absolutely stupid and unwise; and folks who graduated from smaller, unknown schools who are fantastic professionals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 05, 2013 1:56 pm

While I don't condone the bullshit spewing out of a lot of TTTs, this is the law school admissions forum for fucking applicants. If someone's asking whether they should attend FIU, you can call them a dumbass or whatever, but this isn't the place for 1Ls to come bash.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 1:57 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:While I don't condone the bullshit spewing out of a lot of TTTs, this is the top law school admissions forum for top fucking applicants.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 05, 2013 1:58 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:While I don't condone the bullshit spewing out of a lot of TTTs, this is the top law school admissions forum for top fucking applicants.
I understand your sentiment and agree that they probably shouldn't have posted here, but it's still not the right place for current students to troll

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
FIULaw_Admissions wrote:95% of graduates are employed within 9 months of graduation. Also, the career center at FIU is very helpful with finding jobs for current law students and graduates.
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun May 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Balleeta wrote:I imagine that all of you here are either law students or prospective law students; please, grow up and get a life. It is so ridiculous to see grown people judging a school just based on what they (think) they know about it. Who cares? If you don't want to go to FIU, don't go. Don't judge people that go either. We have enough morons in the workplace who judge people by ridiculous standards (i.e. glamour of the school they attended). Study hard, become a good and ethical professional, and earn your respect as a lawyer. There are many people who graduated from top law schools who are absolutely stupid and unwise; and folks who graduated from smaller, unknown schools who are fantastic professionals.
The problem is 45% of graduates of FIU won't get the chance to become professionals at all. We're not judging the students, we're judging a school that opened fairly recently in an over-saturated market and that struggles to place half of its students in full-time, long-term, bar-passage-required jobs.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Yukos wrote:
Balleeta wrote:I imagine that all of you here are either law students or prospective law students; please, grow up and get a life. It is so ridiculous to see grown people judging a school just based on what they (think) they know about it. Who cares? If you don't want to go to FIU, don't go. Don't judge people that go either. We have enough morons in the workplace who judge people by ridiculous standards (i.e. glamour of the school they attended). Study hard, become a good and ethical professional, and earn your respect as a lawyer. There are many people who graduated from top law schools who are absolutely stupid and unwise; and folks who graduated from smaller, unknown schools who are fantastic professionals.
The problem is 45% of graduates of FIU won't get the chance to become professionals at all. We're not judging the students, we're judging a school that opened fairly recently in an over-saturated market and that struggles to place half of its students in full-time, long-term, bar-passage-required jobs.

also, please take your single indignant post and leave. perhaps you'd have some time to work on that reading comprehension of yours?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun May 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Stop being an obtuse jerk. If you go to FIU law, you probably won't become a lawyer so the rest of your statement is moot.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:52 pm

You are right. Allow me to apologize on behalf of the other members here at TLS who don't realize what ignorant, condescending twits we've all been in this thread. I hope they can one day come to terms with the fact that FIU offers wonderful career opportunities to many of its students in spite of its low rank among the meaningless USNWR rankings. After having done more research about this school, I can honestly say that it is a splendid place to receive a legal education if one aspires to have a 50/50 chance at working at a small (less than 25 attorneys) law firm; I honestly cannot think of a better way to spend 3 years of one's life and tens of thousands of dollars.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Sun May 05, 2013 3:07 pm

sounds like a 2 or 3L from FIU law who just made an account to get us to stop bashing the school which may rightfully deserve the bashing. This person probably wakes up everyday regretting their decision to attend FIU.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sun May 05, 2013 3:34 pm

theres a difference between bashing someone for attending a school and bashing them for trying to peddle the school as a great place to go for employment by posting false statistics - especially when you look back and see that the person(s) is/are school ambassadors meaning they probably get minimum wage under some work study program to do the school's dirty work

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sun May 05, 2013 5:18 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
theres a difference between bashing someone for attending a school and bashing them for trying to peddle the school as a great place to go for employment by posting false statistics - especially when you look back and see that the person(s) is/are school ambassadors meaning they probably get minimum wage under some work study program to do the school's dirty work
Agree with this.
JamMasterJ wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
I understand your sentiment and agree that they probably shouldn't have posted here, but it's still not the right place for current students to troll
Disagree with this. This forum is called Top-Law-Schools because it sounds good (it is a business after all), not because it's exclusively intended for applicants to "top" schools, wherever you'd draw that line. If anything, people considering applying to schools like Cooley, etc. should be especially welcomed here, because they might get the help and info they desperately need.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 5:20 pm

slawww wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
Agree with this.
JamMasterJ wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
Disagree with this. This forum is called Top-Law-Schools because it sounds good (it is a business after all), not because it's exclusively intended for applicants to "top" schools, wherever you'd draw that line. If anything, people considering applying to schools like Cooley, etc. should be especially welcomed here, because they might get the help and info they desperately need.

which is exactly what the bashing is for. people looking at cooley and fiu can come here, see the shit that gets thrown around, and should be on notice at that point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 05, 2013 6:04 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:

:roll: I take everything that guy says with a big grain of salt. IMO, if you lived/went to school/worked in Florida pre-law school, I think at equal grades, a Florida legal organization (DA's office, etc.) would look at someone who went to Columbia more favorably than someone who went to FIU/Nova/FL Coastal/Stetson/FL A&M/etc.. UF/USF/FSU are big Florida names, so maybe the difference would be less for those schools vs. a T14. However, there would be networking advantages to staying in FL for law school, and if you strike out at OCI and are looking at going into small law/PI/government (before any angry a-holes jump on me, note that I am not calling govt/PI a fallback option), connections make a big deal as there are far fewer of those types of jobs. However, IMO one could easily overcome that by working their 1L and/or 2L summers in FL, and networking their ass off (which we should all be doing anyways).

I'm not even in school yet, and I've already been contacted by someone who is an alumnus at T14 I'm going to, is a partner at a biglaw firm at their FL office, and we went to the same FL undergrad. I'm going to be in correspondence with him for sure. There are all sorts of opportunities like these that people can take advantage of.
lol you 0L

I did a FL 3L jerb search from a "preftigious" out of state skool

But hey I bet you know more ab it than me

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun May 05, 2013 6:37 pm

slawww wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
Agree with this.
JamMasterJ wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
How do you know what the intention of this site's founders were?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 05, 2013 6:47 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=14#p30

Ken poasting in an "online law schools" thread

The top law schools moniker is a farce

I feel betrayed

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sun May 05, 2013 7:14 pm

BigZuck wrote: How do you know what the intention of this site's founders were?
It's pretty clear that I'm speculating here, as is everyone else, since I did not found TLS. Though I think it's pretty obvious TLS wants to make as much money as possible via advertising as possible. So the more traffic they can generate - mere speculation again, of course - the better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 pm

rad lulz wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:

lol you 0L

I did a FL 3L jerb search from a "preftigious" out of state skool

But hey I bet you know more ab it than me
Look dude, you obviously fucked up law school, missed the biglaw boat, and fucked up in other ways I really could care less about. Now you spend all your time on TLS all day criticizing others and repeating the same old "don't go to law school" "there are no jobs" "dumb 0l this and dumb 0L that" spiels. We get it dude, or bro, or whatever other jargon you care to use - the legal industry sucks, special snowflake syndrome, etc. etc. How old are you, and did you work before law school? Because you seem ridiculously ignorant and immature. Just shut the fuck up already and realize you don't know it all and aren't the go to authoritative source for everything. Maybe go out and get a life, spend more time with that SO (or is it wife) of yours, and stop racking up (mostly) useless 15,000 post counts on alt after alt? No one other than a handful of your cronies on here gives a shit about your anguished bullshit. Seriously, I pity you. Have a nice day, continue doing what you're doing for all I care.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 05, 2013 7:25 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Look dude, you obviously fucked up law school, missed the biglaw boat, and fucked up in other ways I really could care less about. Now you spend all your time on TLS all day criticizing others and repeating the same old "don't go to law school" "there are no jobs" "dumb 0l this and dumb 0L that" spiels. We get it dude, or bro, or whatever other jargon you care to use - the legal industry sucks, special snowflake syndrome, etc. etc. How old are you, and did you work before law school? Because you seem ridiculously ignorant and immature. Just shut the fuck up already and realize you don't know it all and aren't the go to authoritative source for everything. Maybe go out and get a life, spend more time with that SO (or is it wife) of yours, and stop racking up (mostly) useless 15,000 post counts on alt after alt? No one other than a handful of your cronies on here gives a shit about your anguished bullshit. Seriously, I pity you. Have a nice day, continue doing what you're doing for all I care.
neither dude nor bro is jargon

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
neither dude nor bro is jargon
this Jimmy Dean character is a buffoon.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 05, 2013 7:27 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Look dude, you obviously fucked up law school, missed the biglaw boat, and fucked up in other ways I really could care less about. Now you spend all your time on TLS all day criticizing others and repeating the same old "don't go to law school" "there are no jobs" "dumb 0l this and dumb 0L that" spiels. We get it dude, or bro, or whatever other jargon you care to use. The legal industry sucks, special snowflake syndrome, etc. etc. Just shut the fuck up already and realize you don't know it all and aren't the go to authoritative source for everything. Maybe go out and get a life, spend more time with that SO (or is it wife) of yours, and stop racking up (mostly) useless 15,000 post counts on alt after alt? No one other than a handful of your cronies on here gives a shit about your anguished bullshit. Seriously, I pity you. Have a nice day, continue doing what you're doing for all I care.
Lol I didn't read this

But you seem mad

Y u so mad 0L?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”