Wash U $$ vs. Notre Dame $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Wash U $$
45%
Notre Dame $$
55%

Total votes: 29

soontobelawschooler

Postby soontobelawschooler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Hypothetically-say you must choose one of these two schools that both offer 20k/yr scholly that you keep for all three years,

Cost estimate:
(Tuition+CoL-scholly)x3 = WUSTL is 10k more than ND (122,000 > 111,000).

You also plan to work overseas some time in the future-- which degree would be more portable globally?
Last edited by soontobelawschooler on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goblin Tacos

Re: Wash U $$ vs. Notre Dame $$

Postby Goblin Tacos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Forget "working globally" unless you have some clear lead towards it. Even in non-legal careers it is very rare.

I don't have any evidence to baxk this up, but if you truly want chicago ND, I think, places maybe a smidge better. Its also 10, 000 cheaper, so even if it didnt, you need to choose ND if not willing to retake.

majnana

Postby majnana » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:22 pm

I disagree that the 10k is a significant difference and the OP "needs" to choose NDLS. If we were talking 10k per year, then yeah. But not when spread out over the course of all three years.

I would visit both campuses and ask yourself where you'd like to spend the next three years of your life. I will grant that law school is all about the end game of securing a job, but when faced with two similarly-ranked schools in the same general region, with similar placement in Chicago, with almost the exact same cost, I think it comes down to where you will be most comfortable. The experience at both schools will likely be similar with just slightly different... flavors, for lack of a better analogy. The biggest difference I see is that one is located in a much more exciting area. To some people that makes a big difference.

I say visit, if you can, before making a decision.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goblin Tacos

Postby Goblin Tacos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm

majnana wrote:I disagree that the 10k is a significant difference and the OP "needs" to choose NDLS. If we were talking 10k per year, then yeah. But not when spread out over the course of all three years.

I would visit both campuses and ask yourself where you'd like to spend the next three years of your life. I will grant that law school is all about the end game of securing a job, but when faced with two similarly-ranked schools in the same general region, with similar placement in Chicago, with almost the exact same cost, I think it comes down to where you will be most comfortable. The experience at both schools will likely be similar with just slightly different... flavors, for lack of a better analogy. The biggest difference I see is that one is located in a much more exciting area. To some people that makes a big difference.

I say visit, if you can, before making a decision.

Not an expert at finance but isn't 10, 000 about an extra $100 in loan repayment? If op is median every cent is going to make a difference. 10,000 is not some small number. Only relative to the other 100k can that be confused.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”