C&F problem. Did not disclose a 10 year old ticket.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mac35352

C&F problem. Did not disclose a 10 year old ticket.

Postby mac35352 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I sent out most of my applications in December and January. I had 2 incidents to disclose in my applications. One was a dismissed drunk in public in Virginia (2007) and the second one was an open container ticket right outside a fair in Queens, NY (2008).
In addition, some schools asked for traffic violations to be disclosed. I had a total of 6 traffic tickets. My last ticket was in 2008.
I looked up the records in the counties I lived in and confirmed the tickets to make sure I was not forgetting anything. Last night, I was talking to a girl who was my roommate in 2002-2003 and she remembered the time I got a peace disturbance ticket but went to court and the judge dismissed it. I barely remember the incident. We had people over, I was underage and was not drinking but my neighbors complained that we were too loud.
Should I send an additional addendum stating that I forgot to disclose this or wait until I hear back from schools and disclose it? I can't believe I forgot about it. I can't even find it on the archived records online.
Thank you for your help. I am not sure if I posted in the right board.

stillwater

Re: C&F problem. Did not disclose a 10 year old ticket.

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Brohenjo. Just send the schools exactly what you said here. It is not on record, how many yaers ago it was, that it was dismissed. Honesty upfront saves a lot of heartbreak and hassle down the road.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 pm

mac35352 wrote:I sent out most of my applications in December and January. I had 2 incidents to disclose in my applications. One was a dismissed drunk in public in Virginia (2007) and the second one was an open container ticket right outside a fair in Queens, NY (2008).
In addition, some schools asked for traffic violations to be disclosed. I had a total of 6 traffic tickets. My last ticket was in 2008.
I looked up the records in the counties I lived in and confirmed the tickets to make sure I was not forgetting anything. Last night, I was talking to a girl who was my roommate in 2002-2003 and she remembered the time I got a peace disturbance ticket but went to court and the judge dismissed it. I barely remember the incident. We had people over, I was underage and was not drinking but my neighbors complained that we were too loud.
Should I send an additional addendum stating that I forgot to disclose this or wait until I hear back from schools and disclose it? I can't believe I forgot about it. I can't even find it on the archived records online.
Thank you for your help. I am not sure if I posted in the right board.

Email the schools you applied to ASAP and ask them to add it to your file, shouldn't be a big deal.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Thank you. I'm emailing an additional addendum right now. Hopefully it won't hurt me to disclose later.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:54 pm

stillwater wrote:Brohenjo. Just send the schools exactly what you said here. It is not on record, how many yaers ago it was, that it was dismissed. Honesty upfront saves a lot of heartbreak and hassle down the road.

Yep, get it on the record now and it won't be a big deal. It's not an event that's big enough to chance their calculations (most likely), and you need to have it on the record in case it comes up later. But there's almost no chance they'll care.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks again. I just sent an email with an attached C&F addendum. I apologized, explained it was not my intention to omit the incident. It happened on December of 2003, I was 18 years old, the ticket was dismissed.

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm

You don't have anything to worry about. I sent my schools an addendum concerning a dismissed misdemeanor charge I'd forgotten to disclose and none, including ones I'd already been accepted to, said anything other than "thanks for your honesty, this won't affect your admission."

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:06 pm

What schools ask about traffic violations?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”