[SeniorUdrGrad]How bad does a "W" look in a 3-class quarter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bobdylann

[SeniorUdrGrad]How bad does a "W" look in a 3-class quarter?

Postby bobdylann » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:39 pm

I am currently enrolled in 3 classes this quarter. In one of my GE courses, I was doing fine on the quizzes leading up to the midterm (scoring 100%'s on all of them). However, the midterm comes around, and I fail it horribly (D) -- I was stunned afterward and still am sort of devastated.

Should I:

a.) Take the "W" and essentially take only 2 classes this quarter but retain my current GPA
or
b.) Work hard, try and get a B- in the class, keep my current 3 classes, but take the GPA drop.

This will be my first "W" but I am extremely worried how poorly it will look if I DO in fact decide to withdraw because it would mean that I would be essentially only be taking 2 classes this quarter. Thank you for your time.

gaud

Re: [SeniorUdrGrad]How bad does a "W" look in a 3-class quarter?

Postby gaud » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Will it change your graduation date? What would a B- do to your overall GPA?

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:49 pm

i had to do that one semester. i'm doing fine with law school decisions. you just have to have a good reason, and explain it in a concise addendum to your application.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:49 pm

I wouldn't even write an addendum

mg7

Postby mg7 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:51 pm

gaud wrote:I wouldn't even write an addendum

Yeah I seem to be doing fine this cycle without an addendum and I have several Q's on my transcripts (Q being my undergrad's equivalent of your W)

bobdylann

Postby bobdylann » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Well, I have almost an even 3.7 right now. If I get a B-, my GPA will doubtlessly drop below the 3.7 mark. Taking the "W" will not affect my graduation -- I was planning on taking a standard # of 4 classes my last quarter anyway and that will ensure that I graduate with the sufficient number of units.

I'm just more concerned about the fact that law schools will see that I took only 2 classes this quarter.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:48 pm

schools don't care. they want your numbers. just don't do anything you can't keep a straightface doing while being shameless.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:50 pm

stillwater wrote:schools don't care. they want your numbers.

bobdylann

Postby bobdylann » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 pm

But I would be taking a 2-class quarter if I took the "W" in this class...

I also forgot to mention that ONE of the TWO classes that I will be taking is P/NP (not my decision, just a dept. requirement that I have to fulfill)...

Does anyone not agree with me that this will look horrible on my transcript? Taking a "W" during a 3-class quarter, and taking only ONE graded class...maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but I'm just trying to be realistic with the situation I am in...

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:53 pm

bobdylann wrote:But I would be taking a 2-class quarter if I took the "W" in this class...

I also forgot to mention that ONE of the TWO classes that I will be taking is P/NP (not my decision, just a dept. requirement that I have to fulfill)...

Does anyone not agree with me that this will look horrible on my transcript? Taking a "W" during a 3-class quarter, and taking only ONE graded class...maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but I'm just trying to be realistic with the situation I am in...

they don't care.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Schools aren't going to trip on it bro. Relax.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:53 pm

bobdylann wrote:But I would be taking a 2-class quarter if I took the "W" in this class...

And nobody cares. Maintaining GPA is infinitely more important

bobdylann

Postby bobdylann » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:57 pm

gaud wrote:Schools aren't going to trip on it bro. Relax.

Bronck wrote:

And nobody cares. Maintaining GPA is infinitely more important

I really hope so...I just can't believe I screwed up the way I did -_____-

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”