LST Class of 2012 Data?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby lovejopd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:20 am

Hello,

Hope many TLSers are admitted to the law schools that they want to attend. :D
As I am searching for up to date job data from LST, I am wondering whether the class of 2012 data in LST is available "before" we pay a seat deposit in April. I want to make an informed decision based on the job prospect. Thank you in advance!

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:29 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby lovejopd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:47 am

kappycaft1 wrote:I think most of the ABA data will be made available towards the end of March, so you should be able to access it around the time your seat deposit is due.

Thank you :-) As most seat deposits need to be paid in mid April, it is good news...Thx!

SPerez
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby SPerez » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Employment data for the graduating class of 2012 is currently being collected. NALP stats always use employment 9 months after graduation, which is February (specifically Feb. 15, i.e. next week).

The data available now, for the graduating class of 2011, is already as up-to-date as you're going to have before you enroll.

http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby slawww » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:34 pm

SPerez wrote:Employment data for the graduating class of 2012 is currently being collected. NALP stats always use employment 9 months after graduation, which is February (specifically Feb. 15, i.e. next week).

The data available now, for the graduating class of 2011, is already as up-to-date as you're going to have before you enroll.

http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/


How does LST come up with its numbers? Every school I've looked at on here has a number of full time long term JD required jobs than on LST.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:49 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:43 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby slawww » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:10 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:LST pulls its data directly from the ABA questionnaire... Have you looked at the questionnaire yet?


Is the questionnaire the link Dean Perez posted above?

Edit: Nevermind, I suck at math.
Last edited by slawww on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:13 pm

slawww wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:LST pulls its data directly from the ABA questionnaire... Have you looked at the questionnaire yet?


Is the questionnaire the link Dean Perez posted above?

That's the publicly available data from the questionnaire. I believe the questionnaire contains additional questions that does not need to be made public

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby slawww » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
slawww wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:LST pulls its data directly from the ABA questionnaire... Have you looked at the questionnaire yet?


Is the questionnaire the link Dean Perez posted above?

That's the publicly available data from the questionnaire. I believe the questionnaire contains additional questions that does not need to be made public


Yeah I figured it out. So basically LST's under-employment score comes from jobs that are either not full-time long term or government, etc. Don't you all think that might make the figures seem a little worse than they actually are? I know there is probably a good chunk of law students who are interested in pursuing government jobs that don't necessarily require a JD. I'm sure this is still a small minority, just a thought, though.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:23 pm

slawww wrote:Yeah I figured it out. So basically LST's under-employment score comes from jobs that are either not full-time long term or government, etc. Don't you all think that might make the figures seem a little worse than they actually are? I know there is probably a good chunk of law students who are interested in pursuing government jobs that don't necessarily require a JD. I'm sure this is still a small minority, just a thought, though.

They also include corporate work.
Yes, it makes it seem worse, although how much worse varies by school.
For example, coming out of Touro college, that category includes starbucks barristas, whereas coming out of harvard, that could include consultants and out of Penn ibanking (wharton MBA/JD)

On the other hand, including law firms of 2-10 lawyers make it seem better too.

LST is not perfect, but it's a good tool - especially for people who don't bother looking at the actual ABA data

SPerez
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby SPerez » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:54 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
SPerez wrote:Employment data for the graduating class of 2012 is currently being collected. NALP stats always use employment 9 months after graduation, which is February (specifically Feb. 15, i.e. next week).

The data available now, for the graduating class of 2011, is already as up-to-date as you're going to have before you enroll.

http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Actually, we should have the 2012 data around the end of March, so if the OP is looking to make up his/her mind in mid-April, I think there will be ample time to see the latest employment information. (Source)


Thanks for that update. Not being in Career Services, I wasn't familiar with their Std. 509 deadline. However, I'll add that, based only with my experience having to submit things by ABA deadlines, I wouldn't bank on the numbers being available mid-April. There could be extensions (I think there's already been one already, I just don't know if Mar. 15 represents the old or new deadline) or a delay in processing the data by schools or the ABA.

Dean Perez

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: LST Class of 2012 Data?

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:28 pm

SPerez wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
SPerez wrote:Employment data for the graduating class of 2012 is currently being collected. NALP stats always use employment 9 months after graduation, which is February (specifically Feb. 15, i.e. next week).

The data available now, for the graduating class of 2011, is already as up-to-date as you're going to have before you enroll.

http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Actually, we should have the 2012 data around the end of March, so if the OP is looking to make up his/her mind in mid-April, I think there will be ample time to see the latest employment information. (Source)


Thanks for that update. Not being in Career Services, I wasn't familiar with their Std. 509 deadline. However, I'll add that, based only with my experience having to submit things by ABA deadlines, I wouldn't bank on the numbers being available mid-April. There could be extensions (I think there's already been one already, I just don't know if Mar. 15 represents the old or new deadline) or a delay in processing the data by schools or the ABA.

Dean Perez


March 15 is a hard deadline. ABA is very serious about this. They are likewise serious about getting the numbers up ASAP. I think they'll be up sooner than mid April after a conversation yesterday.

The extension you are talking about is for the Standard 509 information other than the employment chart and scholarship retention chart. Those two charts have been required since August 12, 2012, and the standard explicitly says that the new employment data must be on the school websites by March 31st.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], GoGreen17, mrtux45 and 8 guests