Do accommodated LSAT scores count towards law school ranks? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wolfgang

New

Re: Do accommodated LSAT scores count towards law school ranks?

Post by wolfgang » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:48 am

amazing.

Did anyone else read the entire thing and lose track of the world? I started reading for 30 seconds to let the water warm up and do the dishes and accidentally left it running for a half hour while I was dying of laughter.

MistakenGenius... I think I love you.

jreeve12

New

Post by jreeve12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:42 am

“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

jaesonko

Bronze

Post by jaesonko » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:31 am

jreeve12 wrote:“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.”

― Mahatma Gandhi
+1

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:18 am

jreeve12 wrote:“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.”

― Mahatma Gandhi
Clay, is that you?

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:58 am

After wasting, truly wasting, 20 minutes reading this thread-I was hoping that this was bumped with the results of your LSAT with extra time and a few amusing anecdotes from your stroll to the supreme court clerkship.

Utter disappointment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:After wasting, truly wasting, 20 minutes reading this thread-I was hoping that this was bumped with the results of your LSAT with extra time and a few amusing anecdotes from your stroll to the supreme court clerkship.

Utter disappointment.
+1. How'd it go OP?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 am

North wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:After wasting, truly wasting, 20 minutes reading this thread-I was hoping that this was bumped with the results of your LSAT with extra time and a few amusing anecdotes from your stroll to the supreme court clerkship.

Utter disappointment.
+1. How'd it go OP?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 am

Also super curious.

wolfgang

New

Post by wolfgang » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:44 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:After wasting, truly wasting, 20 minutes reading this thread-
what, are you bragging? I mean, sure, it took me half an hour to read it, but guess what happy gilmore? imma kick your ass in law school and the job market because a) i'm super smart, and b) the quality of my reading was AT LEAST thirty three percent better than yours :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:11 pm

wolfgang wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:After wasting, truly wasting, 20 minutes reading this thread-
what, are you bragging? I mean, sure, it took me half an hour to read it, but guess what happy gilmore? imma kick your ass in law school and the job market because a) i'm super smart, and b) the quality of my reading was AT LEAST thirty three percent better than yours :)
:lol:

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm

wolfgang wrote:
I work out.

wolfgang

New

Post by wolfgang » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Golf doesn't count dude.

Didn't you learn ANYTHING by going through the entire educational system in 90 minutes?

Oh, wait...

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:44 pm

What the hell did I just read?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:01 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:What the hell did I just read?
160 verbal reasoning subsection, bro

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sup3rman

New

Post by sup3rman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Last edited by sup3rman on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:26 pm

jreeve12 wrote:" Does a high LSAT that actually counts give you some chance with a 3.5? Sure. But even if your score counted you'd still be fighting a real uphill battle."

Finally, the voice of reason appears. I still don't know FOR SURE that an accommodated score is an insurmountable disadvantage, and I still think "real uphill battle" is an exaggeration, but I appreciate your trying to be fair with me now.
First, in response to your initial question, the California State Supreme Court agrees with you (us) http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Cour ... 139924.php

It would seem that at least for the moment, LSAC will be unable to flag your score as unstandardized to California law schools, were you to apply for any. What will happen next, and whether or not this compels LSAC to issue a percentile with your score, isn't clear.

Also, not to be preachy, but you're really lucky to have received accommodations. Too many applicants with equally substantial and well-documented disabilities, myself included, are flatly denied.

If lack of accommodations would substantially decrease your potential on the LSAT, then rest assured that the unfair Faustian bargain you've made is worth it. At the end of the day, I think (or perhaps just want to believe) that demonstrations of merit outweigh instrumental considerations/ranking machinations in most law school admissions decisions.

ETA: when I say "unfair Faustian bargain", I mean that it's unfair that you've been put in this bind at all, in case that isn't obvious... The LSAT, as it currently operates, is unfortunately a discriminatory tool when used to assess student with disabilities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 pm

The OP is a complete fool.

bryanjbay12

Bronze

Post by bryanjbay12 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:15 pm

So what was your goddamn score?

pjohnstron0626

New

Post by pjohnstron0626 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:18 pm

Does the new ruling mean that USNWR will factor accommodated testing into the rankings (since they can no longer be 'flagged')?

Should an accommodated test-taker below the LSAT median but above on GPA (reverse splitter), reveal his or her disability in an addendum? Wouldn't that essentially say to law schools, I enhance your rankings with my GPA and other attributes, but you can disregard my lsat?

Thoughts?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 pm

pjohnstron0626 wrote:Does the new ruling mean that USNWR will factor accommodated testing into the rankings (since they can no longer be 'flagged')?

Should an accommodated test-taker below the LSAT median but above on GPA (reverse splitter), reveal his or her disability in an addendum? Wouldn't that essentially say to law schools, I enhance your rankings with my GPA and other attributes, but you can disregard my lsat?

Thoughts?
Nobody other than the test taker and LSAC will automatically know who took an accommodated test. I am not sure if USNWR previously included flagged scores. The will, however, have to include accommodated tests now as they are reported indistinguishably from non-accommodated.

There is no easy answer whether or not to reveal a disability on an addendum, but given how much of an issue was made about flagging, there are strong suspicions that you do not want a school knowing about your disabilities until after admitted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”