JD-MBA Program ? - Rejected JD right before MBA interview.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Crowing

Re: JD-MBA Program ? - Rejected JD right before MBA interview.

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 am

all the shitpoasting lately is getting out of hand. i never thought on-topics would get more fucked than the lounge, but here we are.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:23 am

stillwater wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:
Law school doesn't teach you anything about regulatory affairs, transactional skills, or the legal framework of other nations? It's news to me. Reference Columbia Law's programs: Law and Economics of Capital Markets; The Charles Evans Gerber Transactional Studies Program; The Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law. Thanks for contributing.

What he is saying is that it gives you no practical knowledge. I took contracts. I don't know dick about contracts. I know a lot about consideration which is totally irrelevant for anything today. You just read a bunch of court cases.

Having reviewed literally thousands of contracts, I can tell you this is absolutely true.
You learn as much of the practical side of contracts taking a business law course during your MBA

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am

Crowing wrote:all the shitpoasting lately is getting out of hand. i never thought on-topics would get more fucked than the lounge, but here we are.

Glad someone else noticed, assuming you're talking about shitposting by that dumbass rad lulz (seriously, a Tom Petty avatar in a mesh trucker hat?)? Of course, if mine's the shitpost, then blow me.

I figured any question about a JD/MBA would just catch mostly worthless crap...thought I'd get more useful responses than those first couple, though. Maybe someone else will chime in and treat this as a question, not as a chat room.
Last edited by Dnl2111 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 am

Dnl2111 wrote:
Crowing wrote:all the shitpoasting lately is getting out of hand. i never thought on-topics would get more fucked than the lounge, but here we are.

Glad someone else noticed, assuming you're talking about shitposting by that dumbass rad lulz (seriously, a Tom Petty avatar in a mesh trucker hat?)? I figured any question about a JD/MBA would just catch mostly worthless crap...

Looks like all the poasters here who aren't 0Ls agreed with me, so there's that.

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

rad lulz wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

Glad someone else noticed, assuming you're talking about shitposting by that dumbass rad lulz (seriously, a Tom Petty avatar in a mesh trucker hat?)? I figured any question about a JD/MBA would just catch mostly worthless crap...

Looks like all the poasters here who aren't 0Ls agreed with me, so there's that.

When did they add the letter "a" to posters?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Dude, you need to stop. Rad is giving helpful advice.

To answer your initial question, no, going to the law school admissions office won't help. You're below the GPA median and well below the LSAT median, and the school isn't going to suddenly decide they made a mistake. Plus, given how you've conducted yourself in this thread, you seem like you would come across as argumentative and off-putting. You run the risk of the law admissions office not liking you or thinking you're crazy (showing up in person and begging them to reconsider has to be one of the weirder things an applicant can do) and telling the business school unflattering things about you.

If you don't care about getting into the business school alone and only want a JD/MBA, I guess technically you have nothing to lose, but honestly? Just enjoy the trip as a vacation.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 pm

I have taken a transactionally focused courseload at a T-10 school, as well as MBA classes at said school, and I can guarantee you that neither of these degrees is useful for a "learning experience." You do not learn enough specifics to really grasp what is going on in the regulatory landscapes of industry, and to say you want to learn international law for expansion is worthless unless you already know good places to expand (the law comes second, the business decision comes first). Honestly, you don't need either degree to help your family's company, the finance you can learn on your own and the law is useless in law school to a large degree. If you have the opportunity to go to Columbia B school, I would take it and try to do as you said, gaet MBB experience. That would be the best thing for you and could lead to a job out of grad school doing the things that you say you wish to learn.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20 pm

OP, if the school in question is Columbia, once you get into the law school, it seems like it is much easier to get in the business school. They have a 4-year JD/MBA and a 3-year JD/MBA that they rolled out a few years ago. I know a couple people who applied for the MBA in the middle of their first year of law school, and they all got in. I have never heard of anyone getting into the MBA program and then applying for the law program (maybe bc MBAs smartly realize that the MBA is way more fun than the JD and costs less).

However, you should listen to everyone who is saying that you aren't going to pick up the transactional skills you are seeking in law school. The entire first year is comprised of litigation classes. After that, there will be some relevant classes available (although LOL at Law and Economics...that is an academic exercise that will not help you in running a business), but the vast majority teach you no practical skills. I went through Corporations and Securities Regulation and never saw a 10-K, a proxy statement, or a registration statement. It wasn't until I worked in the corporate department of a firm and worked for a GC of a public company that I actually saw these documents. I think the suggestion of an MBA + certain classes at the law school (with no expectation of gaining practical skills - rather just getting basic knowledge) is a good one, and it is way cheaper.

Lastly, if you are not URM, I am sorry to say this, but 4 points below the median LSAT (are you below the 25th percentile, too?) and below the median GPA is an automatic ding. Feel free to beg for reconsideration, but don't expect anything. If you think you might take time off and retake the LSAT and reapply to the same school, skip the begging.

ETA: I also know someone in the JD/MBA program at Cornell who told me it is pretty easy to get into the MBA program if you apply during your first year of law school there.
Last edited by somewhatwayward on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Dany wrote:Dude, you need to stop. Rad is giving helpful advice.

To answer your initial question, no, going to the law school admissions office won't help. You're below the GPA median and well below the LSAT median, and the school isn't going to suddenly decide they made a mistake. Plus, given how you've conducted yourself in this thread, you seem like you would come across as argumentative and off-putting. You run the risk of the law admissions office not liking you or thinking you're crazy (showing up in person and begging them to reconsider has to be one of the weirder things an applicant can do) and telling the business school unflattering things about you.

If you don't care about getting into the business school alone and only want a JD/MBA, I guess technically you have nothing to lose, but honestly? Just enjoy the trip as a vacation.

This. If it has to be an MBA/JD from this school get into the MBA program then retake the LSAT in June and reapply while in business school.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:42 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:OP, if the school in question is Columbia, once you get into the law school, it seems like it is much easier to get in the business school. They have a 4-year JD/MBA and a 3-year JD/MBA that they rolled out a few years ago. I know a couple people who applied for the MBA in the middle of their first year of law school, and they all got in. I have never heard of anyone getting into the MBA program and then applying for the law program (maybe bc MBAs smartly realize that the MBA is way more fun than the JD and costs less).

However, you should listen to everyone who is saying that you aren't going to pick up the transactional skills you are seeking in law school. The entire first year is comprised of litigation classes. After that, there will be some relevant classes available (although LOL at Law and Economics...that is an academic exercise that will not help you in running a business), but the vast majority teach you no practical skills. I went through Corporations and Securities Regulation and never saw a 10-K, a proxy statement, or a registration statement. It wasn't until I worked in the corporate department of a firm and worked for a GC of a public company that I actually saw these documents. I think the suggestion of an MBA + certain classes at the law school (with no expectation of gaining practical skills - rather just getting basic knowledge) is a good one, and it is way cheaper.

Lastly, if you are not URM, I am sorry to say this, but 4 points below the median LSAT (are you below the 25th percentile, too?) and below the median GPA is an automatic ding. Feel free to beg for reconsideration, but don't expect anything. If you think you might take time off and retake the LSAT and reapply to the same school, skip the begging.

ETA: I also know someone in the JD/MBA program at Cornell who told me it is pretty easy to get into the MBA program if you apply during your first year of law school there.

It's not Columbia, but along those lines. I am a URM, and not below the 25th. Admitted to several T10's already.

Good to knows about it being easier to apply to the MBA program from the JD program. I wonder also if it's uncommon to apply for a JD in the middle of an MBA because it's a queer order for things—one year MBA, two years JD, then one year both, instead of more evenly splitting things up.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Dnl2111 wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:OP, if the school in question is Columbia, once you get into the law school, it seems like it is much easier to get in the business school. They have a 4-year JD/MBA and a 3-year JD/MBA that they rolled out a few years ago. I know a couple people who applied for the MBA in the middle of their first year of law school, and they all got in. I have never heard of anyone getting into the MBA program and then applying for the law program (maybe bc MBAs smartly realize that the MBA is way more fun than the JD and costs less).

It's not Columbia, but along those lines. I am a URM, and not below the 25th. Admitted to several T10's already.

Good to knows about it being easier to apply to the MBA program from the JD program. I wonder also if it's uncommon to apply for a JD in the middle of an MBA because it's a queer order for things—one year MBA, two years JD, then one year both, instead of more evenly splitting things up.

From what I understand, ABA rules do not allow you to get credit for any classes started before enrolling, so it's possible that you lose the benefits of getting to apply some classes to both degrees (or, but another way, a reduction in the amount of credits needed to graduate)

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:50 pm

It sounds like the MBA is more in line with your goals, and as mentioned before, you can take courses in regulation and legal application without having to go to law school.

I'm a 0L so can't say this for certain, but my impression is that if you actually want some kind of practical application of the law, you're going to have to go through 3 years of law school, (if you're lucky) work as an attorney for a few years, and then maybe you'll know enough to be valuable to your family business.

ETA: And you already paid for the trip. Go, enjoy your interview so you don't close any doors if you decide just getting the MBA is the right course, and get drunk at a bar with some cool people you meet on campus.

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

It's kind of important to know those details (URM makes a world of difference). It would help to know specifically which school you are talking about too, and also your numbers, if you are willing to divulge any of that information here.

3.8, 170. Worked full-time during school. Been out 5 years, so 7 years working. Eagle Scout and Scoutmaster (schools seem to like saying they have Eagles), marathon runner, sponsor a speaker series at local high school to encourage minority graduation and college matriculation (we've seen a 20% bump in them both). Graduate degree from Columbia.

Let's say we're talking about somewhere cold...

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Dnl2111 wrote:3.8, 170. Worked full-time during school. Been out 5 years, so 7 years working. Eagle Scout and Scoutmaster (schools seem to like saying they have Eagles), marathon runner, sponsor a speaker series at local high school to encourage minority graduation and college matriculation (we've seen a 20% bump in them both). Graduate degree from Columbia.

Let's say we're talking about somewhere cold...

ED NU and go to law school for free. That's the best thing you could do for your family business.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 pm

And isn't Kellogg a powerhouse for B-School?

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 am

Dnl2111 wrote:

Oh ok as a URM w a 170/3.8 the only school I can imagine you getting rejected from would be Yale or Stanford bc of their holistic processes. If you don't listen to our advice and insist on going for a JD/MBA rather than only an MBA, I think Harvard and Stanford (which we know it is not bc of the comment that the weather is cold) are better choices than Yale. Yale's b-school is all right but not on the level of H or S. With your stats, you should hold out for one of them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”