JD-MBA Program ? - Rejected JD right before MBA interview.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dnl2111

JD-MBA Program ? - Rejected JD right before MBA interview.

Postby Dnl2111 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:07 am

I've been placed in an awkward position. After purchasing non-refundable tickets (and scheduling law school class visits) for an upcoming b-school interview, I got a rejection letter from the damn law school. My question is this: is it a complete waste of time, since I might as well enjoy the trip, to swing by the dean's office and beg and plead for an additional faculty read?

Thanks y'all.

Re: JD-MBA Program ? - Rejected JD right before MBA interview.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:38 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 am

Why do you want to do both?

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:25 am

If you get into the MBA program, couldn't you still apply for the JD during your first year?

Although I still think it's important to make sure you have a good response to this question:

dingbat wrote:Why do you want to do both?

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 pm

holmesboy wrote:If you get into the MBA program, couldn't you still apply for the JD during your first year?

Although I still think it's important to make sure you have a good response to this question:

I could of course apply for the JD during my first year if I got into the MBA program, but I think the JD will be the more useful of the two. Given that I've already gotten a few T14 acceptances, I don't want to pass on those and hope that I get in next year.

With regards to why I want to do the JD/MBA, it's become apparent that our company (family company) has reached a critical mass and that to successfully lead us into the future I need the unique skill set that the dual degree program provides. We're in a heavily regulated industry, and the JD will better prepare me to navigate the regulatory environment while also offering transactional skills needed to expand with M&A activity, plus exposure to international law to more competently expand into more global markets. The MBA builds the quantitative and soft skills (marketing, leadership, strategy formulation...) that are needed to run an efficient, competitive, and innovative organization.

I get that this is an uncommon path, and I'm pretty sure that JD/MBA programs are often looked down on in TLS forums, but I hope this clarifies the need for the dual degree. Thanks for all the responses so far. Keep them coming please!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Dnl2111 wrote:
holmesboy wrote:If you get into the MBA program, couldn't you still apply for the JD during your first year?

I could of course apply for the JD during my first year if I got into the MBA program, but I think the JD will be the more useful of the two. Given that I've already gotten a few T14 acceptances, I don't want to pass on those and hope that I get in next year.

With regards to why I want to do the JD/MBA, it's become apparent that our company (family company) has reached a critical mass and that to successfully lead us into the future I need the unique skill set that the dual degree program provides. We're in a heavily regulated industry, and the JD will better prepare me to navigate the regulatory environment while also offering transactional skills needed to expand with M&A activity, plus exposure to international law to more competently expand into more global markets. The MBA builds the quantitative and soft skills (marketing, leadership, strategy formulation...) that are needed to run an efficient, competitive, and innovative organization.

I get that this is an uncommon path, and I'm pretty sure that JD/MBA programs are often looked down on in TLS forums, but I hope this clarifies the need for the dual degree. Thanks for all the responses so far. Keep them coming please!

Can you get me a job?

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:52 pm

dingbat wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

Can you get me a job?

Lol. And back to the question at hand...

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Dnl2111 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

Can you get me a job?

I hate to say it, but, if it's the knowledge you want, rather than the degree, then it doesn't matter where your MBA comes from. Apply to the business school of whatever law school you go to, or do a part-time MBA at a different school in the same city (if not an online degree).
Thing is, an MBA teaches you the basics, but not a lot of depth. I think it's perfect for the circumstance you described, but you'll still be dependent upon experts in the relevant fields - you'll just be able to understand what they're telling you and make meaningful suggestions/recommendations

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss in further detail

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 am

dingbat wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

Can you get me a job?

I hate to say it, but, if it's the knowledge you want, rather than the degree, then it doesn't matter where your MBA comes from. Apply to the business school of whatever law school you go to, or do a part-time MBA at a different school in the same city (if not an online degree).
Thing is, an MBA teaches you the basics, but not a lot of depth. I think it's perfect for the circumstance you described, but you'll still be dependent upon experts in the relevant fields - you'll just be able to understand what they're telling you and make meaningful suggestions/recommendations

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss in further detail

I know education is what you make of it and all that. My thought process is that doing summer internships with strategic management consulting firms during the program would be a huge asset to bring back for our company's future. Obviously MBB internships are easier to score coming from top law/business schools. I appreciate the input! You hit the nail on the head: I want to understand what's going on and make meaningful suggestions and recommendations.

Keep it coming!

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 am

A JD/MBA sounds like it would make some sense, but you're probably better off just getting the MBA and taking a few select courses from the law school. Sounds like won't need (or want) to know constitutional law/civil procedure. Why not just take the few specialized regulatory courses that pertain to your field?

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 am

WhirledWorld wrote:A JD/MBA sounds like it would make some sense, but you're probably better off just getting the MBA and taking a few select courses from the law school. Sounds like won't need (or want) to know constitutional law/civil procedure. Why not just take the few specialized regulatory courses that pertain to your field?

I simplified the story earlier. We own a number of different companies in a variety of industries, so the full 3 years of law school actually are necessary. At any rate—don't let this come out as pissy—I was hoping for this not to become a debate on the merits of JD/MBA programs vs. those of the respective standalone programs. :)

Still worth the non-refundable trip just to try?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:53 am

Dnl2111 wrote:
WhirledWorld wrote:A JD/MBA sounds like it would make some sense, but you're probably better off just getting the MBA and taking a few select courses from the law school. Sounds like won't need (or want) to know constitutional law/civil procedure. Why not just take the few specialized regulatory courses that pertain to your field?

I simplified the story earlier. We own a number of different companies in a variety of industries, so the full 3 years of law school actually are necessary. At any rate—don't let this come out as pissy—I was hoping for this not to become a debate on the merits of JD/MBA programs vs. those of the respective standalone programs. :)

Still worth the non-refundable trip just to try?

In that case. No. If anything maybe the B school could pull strings if you got in and they just loved you. But that ain't happening either.

If you are dead set on a JD/MBA and it has to be this school then apply while in your first year of B school.

If you are dead set on a JD/MBA it looked like you are going to have to go elsewhere. HTH.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:53 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:54 am

PS although it doesn't matter much. You aren't above both medians at this school are you?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 am

Dnl2111 wrote:

Law school doesn't teach you any of that

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 am

rad lulz wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

wuts int'l law?

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:02 am

wert3813 wrote:PS although it doesn't matter much. You aren't above both medians at this school are you?

Substantially above the median for the b-school. Slightly below the median for the law school.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 am

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am

rad lulz wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

Law school doesn't teach you anything about regulatory affairs, transactional skills, or the legal framework of other nations? It's news to me. Reference Columbia Law's programs: Law and Economics of Capital Markets; The Charles Evans Gerber Transactional Studies Program; The Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law. Thanks for contributing.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 am

Dnl2111 wrote:
Law school doesn't teach you anything about regulatory affairs, transactional skills, or the legal framework of other nations? It's news to me. Reference Columbia Law's programs: Law and Economics of Capital Markets; The Charles Evans Gerber Transactional Studies Program; The Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law. Thanks for contributing.

What he is saying is that it gives you no practical knowledge. I took contracts. I don't know dick about contracts. I know a lot about consideration which is totally irrelevant for anything today. You just read a bunch of court cases.

Dnl2111

Postby Dnl2111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:PS although it doesn't matter much. You aren't above both medians at this school are you?

Substantially above the median for the b-school. Slightly below the median for the law school.

By "both medians" wert means GPA & LSAT, not business school and law school (I think).

Ooohh! Then no, unfortunately not. Still slightly below on both. 0.1 and 4 below.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 am

stillwater wrote:
Dnl2111 wrote:

What he is saying is that it gives you no practical knowledge. I took contracts. I don't know dick about contracts. I know a lot about consideration which is totally irrelevant for anything today. You just read a bunch of court cases.

Basically this.

LOL @ some 0L lecturing me about what you learn in law school

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 am

Dnl2111 wrote:Law school doesn't teach you anything about regulatory affairs, transactional skills, or the legal framework of other nations? It's news to me. Reference Columbia Law's programs: Law and Economics of Capital Markets; The Charles Evans Gerber Transactional Studies Program; The Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law. Thanks for contributing.

:lol:

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”