LSN Reboot in T minus.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Crowing

Gold

Re: LSN Reboot in T minus..

Post by Crowing » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 pm

02889 wrote:
vzapana wrote:
02889 wrote:The Browse Schools page lists UVA and Penn as both having 169 LSAT medians, but Michigan as having a 170. What?
the data are old, not reflective of the most recent USNWR rankings/ABA statistics
Penn hasn't had a 169 LSAT median since 2004 and UVA since 2005. (Courtesy of Regulus's chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... SlE&gid=34)

That is some very old and useless data that they're presenting as current.
yeah its really bad. the fact that they dont date it doesnt help at all either. also some shit is clearly screwed up (like claiming to know c/o 2016 MATRICULANT TOTALS wtf). plus all those advice articles are worthless at best and misinformation otherwise.

GG

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:38 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:I approve of the new look. So pretty... But I can't even use it because it's so damn slow. Anyone having similar problems?
Yeah. It's ridiculously slow. The new look is great but relatively useless if everything takes 30 seconds to load.
30 seconds?? Try 5 minutes here. Literally.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:58 pm

potterpirate04 wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:I approve of the new look. So pretty... But I can't even use it because it's so damn slow. Anyone having similar problems?
Yeah. It's ridiculously slow. The new look is great but relatively useless if everything takes 30 seconds to load.
30 seconds?? Try 5 minutes here. Literally.
JFC i thought 56k was invented so we didn't have to deal with this kinda shit

rshw89

New

Post by rshw89 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:59 pm

The site is incredibly buggy and slow. I don't understand why they would make these changes during one of the busiest times in the cycle. It is like a bar on Bourbon St. deciding to renovate the weekend before Mardi Gras. It would be much smarter to make these changes during a weekend in July.

EdBurke

New

Post by EdBurke » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:14 pm

rshw89 wrote:The site is incredibly buggy and slow. I don't understand why they would make these changes during one of the busiest times in the cycle. It is like a bar on Bourbon St. deciding to renovate the weekend before Mardi Gras. It would be much smarter to make these changes during a weekend in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:18 pm

rshw89 wrote: It would be much smarter to make these changes during a weekend in July.
Indeed. Or even in April, at the earliest. The timing is probably what makes this whole thing odd and even irksome.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:23 pm

From a marketing perspective, I think this would be the best time to do it. People were getting excited to see the new version, and the creator of LSN could potentially double his traffic for a period of a few days with a new website interface. Would you want to double the traffic during a slow time or a fast time? During a fast time, clearly.

Of course, this is all assuming that the website actually works - which right now it's not really working, partially due to speed, but also because it's buggy, as others have mentioned. It doesn't seem as though the user search is working either.

In any case, LSN is a free service, so while there could have been better times to do it, we should still be thankful that this massive repository of admissions data exists in the first place.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:From a marketing perspective, I think this would be the best time to do it. People were getting excited to see the new version, and the creator of LSN could potentially double his traffic for a period of a few days with a new website interface. Would you want to double the traffic during a slow time or a fast time? During a fast time, clearly.

Of course, this is all assuming that the website actually works - which right now it's not really working, partially due to speed, but also because it's buggy, as others have mentioned. It doesn't seem as though the user search is working either.

In any case, LSN is a free service, so while there could have been better times to do it, we should still be thankful that this massive repository of admissions data exists in the first place.
In case LSN ever totally bugs out, do you have the data stored elsewhere than you use for myLSN? Idk if you could download into Excel or something (I literally know nothing about programming).

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:46 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:From a marketing perspective, I think this would be the best time to do it. People were getting excited to see the new version, and the creator of LSN could potentially double his traffic for a period of a few days with a new website interface. Would you want to double the traffic during a slow time or a fast time? During a fast time, clearly.

In case LSN ever totally bugs out, do you have the data stored elsewhere than you use for myLSN? Idk if you could download into Excel or something (I literally know nothing about programming).
I do :) I also downloaded a complete copy of all the posts in the important TLS forums for law students (Content Competitions, FAQ, Forum for Law School Students, and Legal Employment)... just in case.

It's all backed up daily on a server in Miami and North Carolina, and I also have it on my home computer.

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:34 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

I do :) I also downloaded a complete copy of all the posts in the important TLS forums for law students (Content Competitions, FAQ, Forum for Law School Students, and Legal Employment)... just in case.

It's all backed up daily on a server in Miami and North Carolina, and I also have it on my home computer.

--ImageRemoved--
181 fur the foil

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 pm

LSN previously had the function of searching for specific applicants by school (so, for example, the ED applicants at Columbia or those with a 170 who applied to NYU). I can't find how to search that specifically in the new layout. Can someone help me figure that out?

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:01 am

Hmm so I think the new LSN deleted by profile. I show up on the graphs but when I click on my dot it says user does not exist.

Also, on the Stanford page it says Stanford LSAT median is a 173 and GPA median is a 3.94? Is this just from the users on LSN or are those their new medians? If so, Stanford kicked ass last year.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
Smart, now I don't have to do it too :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:17 am

bernaldiaz wrote:Hmm so I think the new LSN deleted by profile. I show up on the graphs but when I click on my dot it says user does not exist.

Also, on the Stanford page it says Stanford LSAT median is a 173 and GPA median is a 3.94? Is this just from the users on LSN or are those their new medians? If so, Stanford kicked ass last year.
I noticed that all of the "medians" listed on the right side of the screen are the 75ths from the medians section. But it looks like all of the "real" medians in that section are also wrong (Penn listed as 169 as an example).

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51 am

mrizza wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Hmm so I think the new LSN deleted by profile. I show up on the graphs but when I click on my dot it says user does not exist.

I noticed that all of the "medians" listed on the right side of the screen are the 75ths from the medians section. But it looks like all of the "real" medians in that section are also wrong (Penn listed as 169 as an example).
Yeah they're 75ths but not the most recent 75ths. They're from like at least 3 or 4 years ago.

ETA: I can't figure out how to search for users based on name now...

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 am

Your profile is loading for me at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bernaldiaz

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:18 am

Thanks for listening on the graph features!

One other thing I would like to see in the graph is the ability to drag the graph once it is zoomed in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:32 am

potterpirate04 wrote:I went to the site a little while back and had no idea about the reboot. Needless to say, I was shocked. What am I supposed to use now to stalk other applicants all day long and see who has gotten accepted/dinged/WL?!

Your tar..

http://thedarkknightrises.tumblr.com/post/40759648076

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:56 am

The new site looks pretty, but it will not let me edit my dates. And some of them changed on me against my will.
*grumbles* ...stupid demon-possessed new site...

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:44 am

02889 wrote:LSN previously had the function of searching for specific applicants by school (so, for example, the ED applicants at Columbia or those with a 170 who applied to NYU). I can't find how to search that specifically in the new layout. Can someone help me figure that out?
+1. i believe the feature was the ability to search "applications" rather than "users." that feature no longer appears to be available on the new LSN?

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Anyone else think it's time for a new entry into the field? It's not really that hard to make a website that points to a MySQL database and graphs some dots on a chart.

le sigh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm

I like the new lay out, though its running rather slow as of late. :x

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

Your profile is loading for me at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bernaldiaz
Huh, it's still not working on my computer. Pretty odd. Works on my phone though. As long as its still accessible to other people, though, that's all that matters. I just didn't want to have to remake it.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Im an idiot but how do you run searches through applications by school?

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Im an idiot but how do you run searches through applications by school?
that's what 02889 and i are asking, but it seems as though that feature might have been deleted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”