California Schools...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ConorM

Re: California Schools...

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 pm

What T-14 universities (if any) have a preference/persuasion toward applicants with a business-oriented background?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 pm

ConorM wrote:What T-14 universities (if any) have a preference/persuasion toward applicants with a business-oriented background?

Northwestern is the textbook example. And they take sub-3.0 GPAs.

indo

Postby indo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 pm

stillwater wrote:
rad lulz wrote:But Case's Dean assures us that there are tons of jerbs!

that dude looked like such a sleazy hipster.

+ `1 so true. That dean need to be awaken. He is still in 90's

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
ConorM wrote:What T-14 universities (if any) have a preference/persuasion toward applicants with a business-oriented background?

Northwestern is the textbook example. And they take sub-3.0 GPAs.

NU gas a preference towards people with work experience. They couldn't give 2 shits about an undergrad degree in business.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Overall, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It has helped me to realize the need to improve my LSAT score in the next months as I approach the beginning of my senior year of undergrad and begin to apply to various law schools. I will be aiming for 170+ in hopes of attending a t-14 school that will improve my chances of obtaining a job after graduation. Cheers and thanks again!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm

ConorM wrote:Overall, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It has helped me to realize the need to improve my LSAT score in the next months as I approach the beginning of my senior year of undergrad and begin to apply to various law schools. I will be aiming for 170+ in hopes of attending a t-14 school that will improve my chances of obtaining a job after graduation. Cheers and thanks again!

Since you're not done with UG, you should also focus on doing everything you can to get above a 3.0.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Wait this dude is still in undergrad?

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Wait this dude is still in undergrad?

yup.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 pm

ConorM wrote:

yup.

Well then get that GPA up, retake the LSAT, get some post-grad work experience, and re-evaluate. Law school's probably never going to work in California because of the low GPA but if you score 170+ you'll still have some solid options.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
ConorM wrote:

yup.

Well then get that GPA up, retake the LSAT, get some post-grad work experience, and re-evaluate. Law school's probably never going to work in California because of the low GPA but if you score 170+ you'll still have some solid options.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 am

ConorM wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
ConorM wrote:
J90 wrote:You got a business degree from Stanford (top west coast?), and now you're thinking about Chapman Law School? Seriously?

Edit: I guess you didn't specify "a top west coast" vs. "the top west coast", but still. Think carefully about why you want to go to law school... if it's a stable job or money, then quit now while you still have time.

Excuse my lack of specificity. I am hoping to attend law school not for financial opportunity but because it would led me in a direction would help me live a life I would enjoy. I've worked in law offices since a young age (14) and find more pleasure in it than the top accounting/finance firms I have spent time at.

Then retake and aim for a T14. You will need to leave California. A few more points gets you looks at places like NW and GULC - NW will like your work experience. How much did you study for the LSAT?

Not much. Two to three weeks tops. Recommendation on prep courses being worthwhile or not?

:? You studied three weeks and scored a 165!?!

You NEED to study for a few months and retake. Also, get your GPA up.

Talk about omission of information...

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 am

ConorM wrote:Ignoring the notion that attendance of the universities I mentioned before would not lead to a job afterwards, should I expect admittance into those universities with my stats? 2.8-9 GPA, 165 LSAT...schools listed earlier: USD, USF, Santa Clara, Chapman, Cal Western, or Hastings.

Needs more love. I loled.

OP if you want CA then work experience for a couple year and attending Northwestern is probably your best bet. No CA schools that are worthwhile will accept that GPA.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:22 am

How exactly do you have a business background if you're still in undergrad? Major doesn't mean jack-shit to law schools.

Graduate, work 2 years, score a 170+, and go to Northwestern.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”