California Schools...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ConorM

California Schools...

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm

2.8 GPA 165 LSAT with Business degree from top west coast school. What schools would you recommend me applying to within California?

stillwater

Re: California Schools...

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 pm

ConorM wrote:2.8 GPA 165 LSAT with Business degree from top west coast school. What schools would you recommend me applying to within California?

I would recommend retaking. You won't get into any schools worthwhile in California with those stats.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:09 pm

stillwater wrote:
ConorM wrote:2.8 GPA 165 LSAT with Business degree from top west coast school. What schools would you recommend me applying to within California?

I would recommend retaking. You won't get into any schools worthwhile in California with those stats.

What LSAT score would make me a relevant applicant?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm

ConorM wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Someone else will have to comment. You are out at SLS and Berkeley even with a 180. I don't know the workings of USC or UCLA but I imagine an LSAT of 169/170+ may make you competitive in this collapsing law school applications market.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:11 pm

stillwater wrote:
ConorM wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Someone else will have to comment. You are out at SLS and Berkeley even with a 180. I don't know the workings of USC or UCLA but I imagine an LSAT of 169/170+ may make you competitive in this collapsing law school applications market.

I wasn't necessarily thinking in terms of SLS/ Berkeley; I was moreso looking at schools such as USD, Santa Clara, Chapman, Hastings etc. Are those possibilities with my current scores, or would an increase in my LSAT score be the only option to ensure admission into any of those schools?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm

ConorM wrote:
I wasn't necessarily thinking in terms of SLS/ Berkeley; I was moreso looking at schools such as USD, Santa Clara, Chapman, Hastings etc. Are those possibilities with my current scores, or would an increase in my LSAT score be the only option to ensure admission into any of those schools?

You don't want to go to those schools...if you want a job after graduation.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Any other opinions or would attending the universities listed above be a financial deathtrap?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 pm

ConorM wrote:Any other opinions or would attending the universities listed above be a financial deathtrap?

That's the conventional wisdom here.

Unless you're a URM you won't even get into Hastings. Splitters in your situation are better off just trying to kill the LSAT and aim for a T14. If you have to stay in CA then you are kind of in a bind.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 pm

ConorM wrote:Any other opinions or would attending the universities listed above be a financial deathtrap?

Your GPA is probably too low for any CA school worth attending. Even if you did make it into Hastings or something you wouldn't get enough money to make it worthwhile.

Lawschoolnumbers.com

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:

Unless you're a URM you won't even get into Hastings. Splitters in your situation are better off just trying to kill the LSAT and aim for a T14. If you have to stay in CA then you are kind of in a bind.

I appreciate the response, first and foremost. So USD, USF, or Case Western all aren't considered to be worthwhile degrees for entering the job market?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm

ConorM wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

I appreciate the response, first and foremost. So USD, USF, or Case Western all aren't considered to be worthwhile degrees for entering the job market?

Nope.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Case Western in in Ohio bro, and its not worth attending

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

But Case's Dean assures us that there are tons of jerbs!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:But Case's Dean assures us that there are tons of jerbs!

that dude looked like such a sleazy hipster.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Ignoring the notion that attendance of the universities I mentioned before would not lead to a job afterwards, should I expect admittance into those universities with my stats? 2.8-9 GPA, 165 LSAT...schools listed earlier: USD, USF, Santa Clara, Chapman, Cal Western, or Hastings.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:51 pm

ConorM wrote:Ignoring the notion that attendance of the universities I mentioned before would not lead to a job afterwards, should I expect admittance into those universities with my stats? 2.8-9 GPA, 165 LSAT...schools listed earlier: USD, USF, Santa Clara, Chapman, Cal Western, or Hastings.

lawschoolnumbers.com

J90

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

You got a business degree from Stanford (top west coast?), and now you're thinking about Chapman Law School? Seriously?

Edit: I guess you didn't specify "a top west coast" vs. "the top west coast", but still. Think carefully about why you want to go to law school... if it's a stable job or money, then quit now while you still have time.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

ConorM wrote:Ignoring the notion that attendance of the universities I mentioned before would not lead to a job afterwards, should I expect admittance into those universities with my stats? 2.8-9 GPA, 165 LSAT...schools listed earlier: USD, USF, Santa Clara, Chapman, Cal Western, or Hastings.

In at all the TTTTs and Santa Clara. Hastings and Davis are possible but unlikely.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:02 pm

J90 wrote:You got a business degree from Stanford (top west coast?), and now you're thinking about Chapman Law School? Seriously?

Edit: I guess you didn't specify "a top west coast" vs. "the top west coast", but still. Think carefully about why you want to go to law school... if it's a stable job or money, then quit now while you still have time.

Excuse my lack of specificity. I am hoping to attend law school not for financial opportunity but because it would led me in a direction would help me live a life I would enjoy. I've worked in law offices since a young age (14) and find more pleasure in it than the top accounting/finance firms I have spent time at.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Crowing wrote:

In at all the TTTTs and Santa Clara. Hastings and Davis are possible but unlikely.

TTTTs means? Thanks in advance for clarification. I'm not up on the lingo, sorry.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:03 pm

ConorM wrote:
J90 wrote:You got a business degree from Stanford (top west coast?), and now you're thinking about Chapman Law School? Seriously?

Excuse my lack of specificity. I am hoping to attend law school not for financial opportunity but because it would led me in a direction would help me live a life I would enjoy. I've worked in law offices since a young age (14) and find more pleasure in it than the top accounting/finance firms I have spent time at.

Then retake and aim for a T14. You will need to leave California. A few more points gets you looks at places like NW and GULC - NW will like your work experience. How much did you study for the LSAT?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:04 pm

ConorM wrote:Excuse my lack of specificity. I am hoping to attend law school not for financial opportunity but because it would led me in a direction would help me live a life I would enjoy. I've worked in law offices since a young age (14) and find more pleasure in it than the top accounting/finance firms I have spent time at.

A significant portion of the people who attend the law schools you mentioned above never work in a law office.

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:06 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
ConorM wrote:

Then retake and aim for a T14. You will need to leave California. A few more points gets you looks at places like NW and GULC - NW will like your work experience. How much did you study for the LSAT?

Not much. Two to three weeks tops. Recommendation on prep courses being worthwhile or not?

ConorM

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:07 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
ConorM wrote:

Georgetown is a viable option even with a GPA around 2.8-9?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 pm

ConorM wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
ConorM wrote:

Not much. Two to three weeks tops. Recommendation on prep courses being worthwhile or not?

No need for a prep course if you already have a 165. Which sections do you need to improve on? Two weeks to a 165 is impressive and shows you have a great knack for the test.

Hit the LSAT Prep forum on this site. this guide will be of interest to you

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

Georgetown is a viable option even with a GPA around 2.8-9?

Yes, as are several other lower T14's

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”