Sending updated resume/PS to law schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NDJ

New

Sending updated resume/PS to law schools?

Post by NDJ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:27 pm

When I sent my first wave of applications out a couple weeks ago, since it was already late in the cycle I wanted to get them out ASAP. Having had some time to reflect on my personal statement, I was able to write what I think was a much better one for some more schools I just decided to apply to a few days ago (HYS). Also, I spent a bit more time on my resume, making it a bit more updated and comprehensive and generally a bit better. My feeling is that sending an improved PS and resume would make it look like I didn't give it my entire effort the first time around - which regrettably is probably true - but on the other hand my statement is definitely much better, and there are a couple of cool things I accidentally had left out of the resume revision I sent (and one or two which only came up in the last couple of weeks anyway).

My numbers (174/3.6) make me much less of a reach for the other schools I had sent for (CLS and down mostly) so I honestly just didn't put as much thought into the other parts of the application as I did for HYS, and also I just didn't know I had this other better personal statement in me.... (edit - i also got some great editing advice from a few people on here since then, don't want to take full credit..)

Any thoughts on this? If anyone thinks it would not look entirely ridiculous please chime in... :)

toothbrush

Gold

Re: Sending updated resume/PS to law schools?

Post by toothbrush » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Alright so..

In reference to the resume - you can probably send an updated resume IF IF IF *IF* it has something more to offer that they care about. However, I think if that IS the case then you can just write a LOCI or a why X including that piece of information and let it shine. If it's just neater then fuck it imo.

The PS is set in stone I think. Again, if you have something to add then write a why x or a loci but you can't resend a PS. How would that look? "Oh I was in a rush and it's sort of sloppy but here's my second attempt"

That's my two cents..

NDJ

New

Post by NDJ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm

cool i hear..its also that i mentioned a couple of work things that ive done in my PS that are not on my resume..
is it the end of the world if i say something like "in case you haven't looked over my application yet, i was hoping you could switch in this PS/resume for the one i submitted. thanks!'

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 pm

NDJ wrote:cool i hear..its also that i mentioned a couple of work things that ive done in my PS that are not on my resume..
is it the end of the world if i say something like "in case you haven't looked over my application yet, i was hoping you could switch in this PS/resume for the one i submitted. thanks!'
I would not say that. I would possibly say "hey take a look it's updated with new shit" but not "please switch this.."

NDJ

New

Post by NDJ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm

cool thanks for the input. i guess ill forgo (unless anyone else thinks i can make it work..)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”