License Lawyers Without JDs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
edadams

License Lawyers Without JDs?

Postby edadams » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:26 pm

NYS is considering it. More from Bloomberg Law: http://youtu.be/IIeM1-yYVfs

thelawdoctor

Re: License Lawyers Without JDs?

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:29 pm

CA does it, NY already allows it as long as you do a year at an ABA lawschool and then intern under a lawyer with court permission for a few more years after that.

I'd rather see them approve of a combination of online JD and interning if they go beyond requiring any ABA.

However letting them sit after two years at ABA only makes sense to me if they do it pre-emptive with out letting license until after third year completed. (I think AZ does that)
That would allow one to get C&F out of the way too so you could work day one after graduating. That would be a decent idea since 3L is just BS electives for most anyways. Might as well toss in for credit bar prep while your at it and then sit the thing if they let you.
Last edited by thelawdoctor on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:30 pm

online schools are the backdoor to big law

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm

stillwater wrote:online schools are the backdoor to big law

clearly NY believes that it does not have enough lawyers if they pass this....................

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:

clearly NY believes that it does not have enough cheap lawyers if they pass this....................

FTFY

If it becomes pocket change to get a shitty lawyer credential, this would be a good mechanism to help lower the costs of crap lawyer work and JDs.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Drake014 wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:

clearly NY believes that it does not have enough cheap lawyers if they pass this....................

FTFY

If it becomes pocket change to get a shitty lawyer credential, this would be a good mechanism to help lower the costs of crap lawyer work and JDs.

expect it to make the bar get harder too. That was the excuse CA used.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:41 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:

FTFY

expect it to make the bar get harder too. That was the excuse CA used.

As someone that's passed the bar in CA, I will confess that I don't think this should be the only way to be able to practice law. Personally, I think there should be at least an alternative method for those who do poorly under this specific type of testing condition.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 pm

I think the CA "minibar" is a good example of that.
If they do a 2 year option, that would not appear to be the same as that.
They already allow it after 1 year at ABA plus an internship.
I say, shaving a few hours off that internship might be ok, but still require it for the 2 year option if they pass it. Some real life experience under court supervision should be a requirment for ALL lawyers in my opinion, but for sure all those who didn't even finish their JD.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:17 pm

The day will come when the ABA allows online JD degrees to sit the bar too.
It will take awhile, but it will happen. You see the DE classes on campus as is (15 credit max right now) but it will expand as schools get lazy and want to pay one prof to teach 4 classes at once. After that people will figure out that skype is the same idea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”