I need some advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whm0829
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

I need some advice

Postby whm0829 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:13 pm

I am new to the board and wanted to see if I could get some adivce about what to do.

Here is my situation:

I have just submitted my apps with a 3.4/152. I am retaking in Feb (next week) to see if I can bump up to ~160. I will be one year removed from undergrad this fall and Im now considering taking another year to intern with a firm, retake LSAT shoot for a better school.

My main question to yall is whether it is a good or bad idea to retake the LSAT again in the fall and redo the application process. Will this hurt my chances? Also can I take the June and October 2013 tests even though I will already have taken the October 2012 and February 2013 tests without being looked at negatively?


Thanks.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: I need some advice

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Waiting will do nothing but help you. Since you are retaking you already know that the schools that will take you with a 152 (or a 160) are not solid options in terms of career outcomes.

If you take another year off, you can apply early in the cycle, which will help your application, as will any work experience you gain during your time off.

I applied in the fall of 2009, but decided to wait and retake the LSAT instead. I ended up waiting three years and I do not regret it! I'm looking at way better prospects.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:29 pm

whm0829 wrote:I am new to the board and wanted to see if I could get some adivce about what to do.

Here is my situation:

I have just submitted my apps with a 3.4/152. I am retaking in Feb (next week) to see if I can bump up to ~160. I will be one year removed from undergrad this fall and Im now considering taking another year to intern with a firm, retake LSAT shoot for a better school.

My main question to yall is whether it is a good or bad idea to retake the LSAT again in the fall and redo the application process. Will this hurt my chances? Also can I take the June and October 2013 tests even though I will already have taken the October 2012 and February 2013 tests without being looked at negatively?


Thanks.



You can only take the LSAT three times in a two-year span. Not sure what your circumstances are, but maybe cancel February and take June and October?

The LSAT matters so so so so so so so so so much. Don't settle with your score if you are confident you can do better. Even then, study your ass off to see if you have actually have reached your potential.

whm0829
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby whm0829 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:19 pm

thanks for the info! I will think about canceling next weeks test but in all honesty I think I can get around a 160 and I really dont want to throw away $160. I live in NC but my goal is to either go to UNC or go to S. Carolina with $$. I figure I need about a 165 for either of those to happen. I think a 160 will get me in to SC but figuring I probably wont get $$ I will have to take another year off.

drive4showLSAT4dough
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 am

Re: I need some advice

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 pm

whm0829 wrote:thanks for the info! I will think about canceling next weeks test but in all honesty I think I can get around a 160 and I really dont want to throw away $160. I live in NC but my goal is to either go to UNC or go to S. Carolina with $$. I figure I need about a 165 for either of those to happen. I think a 160 will get me in to SC but figuring I probably wont get $$ I will have to take another year off.


Cancel > Study til PTing 170s > Retake > Duke or UVA w/ $

whm0829
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby whm0829 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Ok well at this point the best option seems to be reapply next cycle. But since my apps are in and my LORs have already been written, is it possible to keep them on file with LSAC for the next year or will I have to get new ones written?

As far as Duke and UVa goes, that is wishful thinking..but I like it!

Most likely going to shoot for UNC though.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 pm

you can reuse lors

drive4showLSAT4dough
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 am

Re: I need some advice

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:48 pm

whm0829 wrote:Ok well at this point the best option seems to be reapply next cycle. But since my apps are in and my LORs have already been written, is it possible to keep them on file with LSAC for the next year or will I have to get new ones written?

As far as Duke and UVa goes, that is wishful thinking..but I like it!

Most likely going to shoot for UNC though.


Not wishful if you decide to study hard and smart. I retook my way from a 156 to a 169 and I'm a fuckin idiot. You can do better. Just need to learn how to take the LSAT. TLS is a great place to learn that.

whm0829
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby whm0829 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:55 pm

yea I know that if I put in the time I can get that score way up. I have just been so inconsistent with studying. I now realize that if I want to really do this I need to put in way more effort. Thanks for the motivation.

drive4showLSAT4dough
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 am

Re: I need some advice

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 pm

whm0829 wrote:yea I know that if I put in the time I can get that score way up. I have just been so inconsistent with studying. I now realize that if I want to really do this I need to put in way more effort. Thanks for the motivation.


I had the same problem for a little while. But think about it this way: you're in such a rush to spend $200K to study for tests for THREE YEARS, but you can't muster the time and effort to study for a single test that could dramatically lower your cost of attendance and dramatically raise your job prospects upon graduation? That makes zero sense!

whm0829
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby whm0829 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Yea Im excited to get a fresh start at a new cycle. I felt very rushed in this process but glad that I get some time to really prepare. Thanks for the help everyone! time to get to work.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm

whm0829 wrote:Yea Im excited to get a fresh start at a new cycle. I felt very rushed in this process but glad that I get some time to really prepare. Thanks for the help everyone! time to get to work.


i rushed out apps last february and ultimately decided to skip last cycle and reapply this one (had some personal reasons that made it an easier choice though). but really it has ended up being one of the best decisions ive ever made. best of luck to you!

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: I need some advice

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm

You are making the right choice! Good luck.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: I need some advice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 pm

whm0829 wrote:thanks for the info! I will think about canceling next weeks test but in all honesty I think I can get around a 160 and I really dont want to throw away $160. I live in NC but my goal is to either go to UNC or go to S. Carolina with $$. I figure I need about a 165 for either of those to happen. I think a 160 will get me in to SC but figuring I probably wont get $$ I will have to take another year off.


There's absolutely no point in taking the test next week. If you're not fully prepared, the money is wasted whether you take the test or not. It would be far better to have two more shots at the test once you feel you've prepared as well as you can. Otherwise, everything rides on your third and final take.

whm0829
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby whm0829 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Yea I have decided to cancel the Feb test. Posting on this board could end up being the best decision ive ever made. We'll see...

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: I need some advice

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm

whm0829 wrote:Yea I have decided to cancel the Feb test. Posting on this board could end up being the best decision ive ever made. We'll see...

Dude this has been the case for a lot of people. I see threads to this effect on a semi regular basis.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: I need some advice

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 am

whm0829 wrote:Posting on this board could end up being the best decision ive ever made. We'll see...


Yep, that's TLS. As already stated and confirmed you need to wait a year. Two years from UG is not a problem at all. I'm 4 years removed from UG, applied this cycle, and am STILL considering waiting a year just to apply early in a cycle instead of late.
Best of luck! Study for that LSAT, courses and tutors help but also take dozens of preptests!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests