LOR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
warandpeace

LOR question

Postby warandpeace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 pm

Can I get one LOR from a prof who knows me very well and one LOR from someone who was not a prof, but an advisor of a student leadership group I held a position for? Or do they have to both be profs, etc.

And when is it appropriate to gift them (lol)?

Are we allowed to read the LORs?

TripTrip

Re: LOR question

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 pm

warandpeace wrote:Can I get one LOR from a prof who knows me very well and one LOR from someone who was not a prof, but an advisor of a student leadership group I held a position for? Or do they have to both be profs, etc.

Best LoRs are from people who oversaw you academically. Doesn't have to be a prof - could be a TA instead. Advisor of a club... maybe. Is there someone who saw your schoolwork you could use?

Gift them?

Yes you can read them. However, you should waive your right to read them once they've been submitted to LSAC.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

warandpeace wrote:Can I get one LOR from a prof who knows me very well and one LOR from someone who was not a prof, but an advisor of a student leadership group I held a position for? Or do they have to both be profs, etc.

You should really try to get 2 ACADEMIC LOR's. I know Y requires atleast 2 academic. On a whole, it's better, as they can speak to your ability. You can submit "character" LoR's in addition.

You can write them a thank you with a gift card to D+D or something. nothing more is necessary. I wouldn't gift them in advanced, because that is bribery.

When you request your LoR from LSAC send it saying you never read it. I forgot the wording but basically you sign off saying you never saw it. Do that.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:59 pm

thanks, friends

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Columbia requires two LORs from faculty members, too, FWIW.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

toothbrush wrote:When you request your LoR from LSAC send it saying you never read it. I forgot the wording but basically you sign off saying you never saw it. Do that.

This is not what the LSAC LOR waiver says.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Dany wrote:
toothbrush wrote:When you request your LoR from LSAC send it saying you never read it. I forgot the wording but basically you sign off saying you never saw it. Do that.

This is not what the LSAC LOR waiver says.

+1

You can read your LOR. You sign off saying that you waive your right to be shown it by the school later.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”