In at a few T-14s, is T-6 worth sitting out for?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WhatOurBodiesAreFor

In at a few T-14s, is T-6 worth sitting out for?

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 pm

I'm in at a few lower T-14 and still got a fighting chance at all non-T-6s besides Penn and UVA. But I am almost positive if I sit out two years and retake the LSAT a few times I can break 170 and slip into the T-6.

The problem is I have already been out for two years and my opportunity cost, while growing, is pretty small. I will not have a job I am leaving come August and I am not going to be able to walk into a really good position somewhere.

To give you a little more insight:
- I could not care less about money. I'll pay sticker all day as long as I can make enough coming out to support myself and live comfortably.
- I am more worried about my ceiling. I don't know exactly what I want to do with my degree so I don't want to be limited in any way. Also, that's a very shitty feeling for me, to limit my options from the start.
- I'm very strong in LGs and reasoning but have lacked the reading skills to crack the 99th percentile. My returns are diminishing but reading comprehension is something I can improve upon, as I have only just begun reading with any sort of consistency in the last year. Especially as I was practicing in the low 170s, I certainly think I could get 171+ over three tries.
- I'll be eligible to take my 4th, 5th, and 6th LSAT in December 2013, February 2014, and October 2014
- I'll likely always be out at HYS because of my UGPA, 3.74 - full stats are on my LSN.
- Like anyone, there will certainly be something to gain from taking another year or two off. But as I have already taken two off, my returns are diminishing here too.

Thanks, guys. Didn't really know who else to turn to.

curious66

Re: In at a few T-14s, is T-6 worth sitting out for?

Postby curious66 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:I'm in at a few lower T-14 and still got a fighting chance at all non-T-6s besides Penn and UVA. But I am almost positive if I sit out two years and retake the LSAT a few times I can break 170 and slip into the T-6.

The problem is I have already been out for two years and my opportunity cost, while growing, is pretty small. I will not have a job I am leaving come August and I am not going to be able to walk into a really good position somewhere.

To give you a little more insight:
- I could not care less about money. I'll pay sticker all day as long as I can make enough coming out to support myself and live comfortably.
- I am more worried about my ceiling. I don't know exactly what I want to do with my degree so I don't want to be limited in any way. Also, that's a very shitty feeling for me, to limit my options from the start.
- I'm very strong in LGs and reasoning but have lacked the reading skills to crack the 99th percentile. My returns are diminishing but reading comprehension is something I can improve upon, as I have only just begun reading with any sort of consistency in the last year. Especially as I was practicing in the low 170s, I certainly think I could get 171+ over three tries.
- I'll be eligible to take my 4th, 5th, and 6th LSAT in December 2013, February 2014, and October 2014
- I'll likely always be out at HYS because of my UGPA, 3.74 - full stats are on my LSN.
- Like anyone, there will certainly be something to gain from taking another year or two off. But as I have already taken two off, my returns are diminishing here too.

Thanks, guys. Didn't really know who else to turn to.

If by lower T14 you mean Michigan or Duke and you really want to be a lawyer, I would say go. There is no guarantee that your LSAT is going to go up and you are talking another 2 years. Law School in general is going to be risky.. but T14 is still a decent bet (this of course is just my opinion). If you are stuck on the T6.. then give yourself 1 more try -- the December 2013 LSAT and work your but off.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 pm

curious66 wrote:
If by lower T14 you mean Michigan or Duke and you really want to be a lawyer, I would say go. There is no guarantee that your LSAT is going to go up and you are talking another 2 years. Law School in general is going to be risky.. but T14 is still a decent bet (this of course is just my opinion). If you are stuck on the T6.. then give yourself 1 more try -- the December 2013 LSAT and work your but off.

Still waiting on Michigan, NU, Berkeley and Duke, in at Cornell and GULC.

Everything else is here: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whatourbodiesarefor

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
curious66 wrote:

Still waiting on Michigan, NU, Berkeley and Duke, in at Cornell and GULC.

Everything else is here: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whatourbodiesarefor

And UT and USC on a giant scholly.

If you really want to practice law, you're in pretty good shape with GULC, Cornell, UT, and SC. Especially if you can nab a couple other T14s.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 pm

I know you cant go back in the past now, but you said you have been out two years already, couldn't you have studied "more consistently" then?

I agree with above poster though, there is no guarantee your score will go up, T14 is a very good bet (I too would go Michigan if you get in), and you still have a shot at UVA and Penn.

Also, I'm hoping the economy does not suck this poorly when you get out in three years.

I'd go, and work my ass off while there. And congrats on the acceptances!

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:03 pm

griffin.811 wrote:I know you cant go back in the past now, but you said you have been out two years already, couldn't you have studied "more consistently" then?

I agree with above poster though, there is no guarantee your score will go up, T14 is a very good bet (I too would go Michigan if you get in), and you still have a shot at UVA and Penn.

Also, I'm hoping the economy does not suck this poorly when you get out in three years.

I'm out at UVA and Penn already, but I am still pending - (pending/held/faculty review) - at all other non T-6s.

While of course there is no guarantee my score will go up, I feel confident that it will. I underperformed quite a bit and, as I said, I can still improve on the skill of reading comprehension. I literally did not understand my 4th RC passage in October. But yeah, I know, that I still don't have a 171 should be a huge factor into this decision.

But what if I don't get Michigan and I only have the acceptances I have now? How much does your advice change?

curious66

Postby curious66 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

griffin.811 wrote:I know you cant go back in the past now, but you said you have been out two years already, couldn't you have studied "more consistently" then?

I'm out at UVA and Penn already, but I am still pending - (pending/held/faculty review) - at all other non T-6s.

While of course there is no guarantee my score will go up, I feel confident that it will. I underperformed quite a bit and, as I said, I can still improve on the skill of reading comprehension. I literally did not understand my 4th RC passage in October. But yeah, I know, that I still don't have a 171 should be a huge factor into this decision.

But what if I don't get Michigan and I only have the acceptances I have now? How much does your advice change?

I would negotiate some $ at Cornell and go. Assuming you are ok with the cold and like NY

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:- I could not care less about money. I'll pay sticker all day as long as I can make enough coming out to support myself and live comfortably.

Please share this secret!

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:- I could not care less about money. I'll pay sticker all day as long as I can make enough coming out to support myself and live comfortably.

Maybe he has $60K in savings like me, but I don't agree with him about not caring about the money. Lol. More loans=more risk.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

Maybe he has $60K in savings like me, but I don't agree with him about not caring about the money. Lol. More loans=more risk.

Ha. Well there is more risk in Cornell sticker vs. Columbia sticker, but it's not best expressed in monetary terms for me. You'll likely land a job coming out of both, but you may not be happy with the one you land out of Cornell.

Anyway, I don't have 60K in savings. I got like $235. My disinterest in money comes from my rural and humble middle class upbringing. It's always been a means to an end for me. So, since I have pretty inexpensive tastes, money's not that important to me.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:41 pm

Clearly RC isn't my strongest point either as I misread your comment haha.

But I would have to say you know yourself better than anyone. Based on your comment I understand why you think you can make that jump on the lsat. I myself was PTing @ 160 +/-2 pts going -13 on RC :shock: over the course of a week, I dropped it to below -6 on 5 consecutive sections.

If your willing to put in the work, and you can afford to wait a little longer, I'd say go for T6 regardless as to whether or not you get into Michigan. Especially since money doesn't seem to be the issue. Just keep in mind, a score above 171 still guarantees nothing unfortunately. (Although I will agree it should substantially help your case for T6 admittance).

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:17 pm

See if you get any $$$ at the schools you're pending at, if not, retake.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Why two years?

Retake in December, break 170 and apply next cycle.

A Jan 170+ is better than an early 167 and if you can't break 170 after studying for 11 months on a fourth take then you're never going to anyway.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 pm

megagnarley wrote:Why two years?

A Jan 170+ is better than an early 167 and if you can't break 170 after studying for 11 months on a fourth take then you're never going to anyway.

Well, that's a question for post-December 2013 LSAT. I have major issues with stress. In October's test, I had to guess on ~10 questions and presumably missed them all. If the same thing happens in December 2013 it wouldn't be true if I walked away saying "I can't do better".

Your point is noted though.

MrHairyLegs

Postby MrHairyLegs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Cornell is a great school, congrats. If Michigan doesn't happen, I say run with it. I myself know that I could not take more time off to wait for a acceptance at a better school. Time is money and I'd like to start my career as soon as possible.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 pm

I agree with trying all you can to negotiate some $$$, but I went to Cornell as my only T14 acceptance. I haven't regretted my decision, nor would I, in hindsight, have exchanged it for any other T14. (And I wouldn't take T6 at sticker over Cornell with scholly; HYS is another matter.) PM me if you want info.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm

I suck at RC. 173 and I was like -6 RC I think so it's doable lol.

I wouldn't take Mich over Cornell anyway at equal col.

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm

120K at USC is an underrated choice. As a guy with similar stats, I would love to know how you landed such a sick scholly. PM me with details please.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Crowing wrote:I suck at RC. 173 and I was like -6 RC I think so it's doable lol.

Man, 167 and I'm pretty sure I was -11 in RC.

You wouldn't take Michigan over Cornell though? Hmmm
Last edited by WhatOurBodiesAreFor on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Crowing wrote:I suck at RC. 173 and I was like -6 RC I think so it's doable lol.

I'm starting to think we're the same person. I got -7 on RC and a 172.

If only my experimental hadn't been RC and if only it had been any other place than right before my real RC...I'd be sitting on a 175 right now. Its these things that keep me up at night.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:05 pm

If you want to go now and need Big Law, go to Cornell. You won't make enough money in the private sector to pay off your loans regardless of where you go or if you secure Big Law (or rather, you will eventually make enough money but know that you're likely to be moved out of Big Law by your third year and you'd have only paid off maybe 100k if you were aggressive) so just go to the best school that gives you that.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:12 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

If only my experimental hadn't been RC and if only it had been any other place than right before my real RC...I'd be sitting on a 175 right now. Its these things that keep me up at night.

Sounds like June 2012. First 2 sections = RC = fml.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Crowing wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Sounds like June 2012. First 2 sections = RC = fml.

Yup. Mine were 2nd and 3rd. Literally the worst placement possible.
Edit: though that tired me out sufficiently so that I didn't rush on LR and did the best on that fourth section that I ever have (-0). Give and take, I guess.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm

Well, that's a question for post-December 2013 LSAT. I have major issues with stress. In October's test, I had to guess on ~10 questions and presumably missed them all. If the same thing happens in December 2013 it wouldn't be true if I walked away saying "I can't do better".

What do you mean by major issues with stress? An anxiety disorder? If so, you seriously might want to consider some kind of treatment and anti-anxiety medication. I hate to promote anything for the pharmaceutical industry, but I assure you that preparing for and taking non-YHS law school exams will be far more stressful than the LSAT.

If you're going to retake the LSAT in December, you need to address this stress/anxiety issue first.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 pm

Ti Malice wrote:

What do you mean by major issues with stress? An anxiety disorder? If so, you seriously might want to consider some kind of treatment and anti-anxiety medication. I hate to promote anything for the pharmaceutical industry, but I assure you that preparing for and taking non-YHS law school exams will be far more stressful than the LSAT.

If you're going to retake the LSAT in December, you need to address this stress/anxiety issue first.

Food for thought, but my increase in score is also explained by more and better prep and enhanced reading comprehension skills.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”