Showing Up to Admissions Offices

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
talesofyore

Showing Up to Admissions Offices

Postby talesofyore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 pm

So, I work closely with admissions for a prestigious graduate program. Our committee had a meeting this morning, during which a candidate who showed up last Friday to introduce herself to professors and decision makers was discussed. Her numbers were on the low end, and the verdict of the meeting was that "for now she remains a crazy girl who showed up to our office unannounced." She stuck around for three hours waiting to talk with the head of the committee. In her mind, it probably showed dedication. In the committee chair's mind, it denoted craziness. I wonder how often that happens in law school admissions. :cry:

cinephile

Re: Showing Up to Admissions Offices

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm

It's not that weird, it happens here all the time. I think they encourage it. No one will speak to you about your application as that wouldn't be right, but they will answer any questions you have about the school or the city or whatever. And they'll set you up with a tour of the building and let you know what classes are going on so you can sit in on them. Last year there was this kid from my undergrad who dropped in randomly and a student worker from the admissions office came down to grab me right before my class started to introduce me to this guy and ask me to tell him about my experience.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm

ask URMDan

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 pm

cinephile wrote:It's not that weird, it happens here all the time. I think they encourage it. No one will speak to you about your application as that wouldn't be right, but they will answer any questions you have about the school or the city or whatever. And they'll set you up with a tour of the building and let you know what classes are going on so you can sit in on them. Last year there was this kid from my undergrad who dropped in randomly and a student worker from the admissions office came down to grab me right before my class started to introduce me to this guy and ask me to tell him about my experience.

I didn't think it was weird either, because I met the prospective student and thought she presented herself well. Maybe people here are just mean.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Maybe in a small PhD program it'd be different, but law school is just so huge that no one cares and it's not like they're that invested in any particular candidate because there's always more where she came from.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:42 am

talesofyore wrote:She stuck around for three hours waiting to talk with the head of the committee.

To me, that's where she went wrong. If you are in the area and want to visit and stop by, that's fine. Don't wait 3 hours to meet with someone, however. And if you know you're going to be in the area and do want to talk to a specific person, make an appointment.

Law schools are used to people dropping in, so they have students ready to give tours, etc... at pretty much all times. But if someone waited outside of an office for 3 hours to meet with anyone, I'd think they might be a little over-eager/off.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 pm

bp shinners wrote:
talesofyore wrote:She stuck around for three hours waiting to talk with the head of the committee.

To me, that's where she went wrong. If you are in the area and want to visit and stop by, that's fine. Don't wait 3 hours to meet with someone, however. And if you know you're going to be in the area and do want to talk to a specific person, make an appointment.

Law schools are used to people dropping in, so they have students ready to give tours, etc... at pretty much all times. But if someone waited outside of an office for 3 hours to meet with anyone, I'd think they might be a little over-eager/off.

I must say that that's what seemed to annoy people the most. They didn't like her lurking in the hallways.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”