offensive post

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazyrobin

Re: offensive post

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm

@bbsg I think OP is referring to the BP Facebook pic - a "quote" by Chris Brown.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm

The meme is actually neither funny nor creative. It doesn't even make any sense.

However, that being said, chill the fuck out and stop taking yourself so seriously. Humor has been around for 10,000 years and has gotten the human race through things a lot worse than domestic abuse (ie extermination of entire peoples, slavery, forced migration, war). Jokes like the one he posted, if it was funny, would have targeted no one other than Chris Brown and Rhianna (who probably won't read it). It doesn't threaten or degrade anyone.

Get over yourself.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm

asked my so. she said 2/10 funny 0/10 offensive.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Well, this escalated quickly. Also, OP is still outed on Facebook by the second post of this thread, so maybe that guy should edit his post.

But since he hasn't yet, sup girl?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

What the hell happened ITT?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Sometimes my girlfriend watches that Joan Rivers fashion police show and the other day they were talking about how Rihanna was mad about some joke Joan had made about her on Twitter and Joan said-

She should learn to take a joke like she can take a punch.

That's way more offensive AND funnier than this lame LSAT joke

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Sometimes my girlfriend watches that Joan Rivers fashion police show and the other day they were talking about how Rihanna was mad about some joke Joan had made about her on Twitter and Joan said-

Maybe I am insensitive, but thinking of Joan Rivers saying this with her New York accent makes me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 pm

hume85 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Sometimes my girlfriend watches that Joan Rivers fashion police show and the other day they were talking about how Rihanna was mad about some joke Joan had made about her on Twitter and Joan said-

Maybe I am insensitive, but thinking of Joan Rivers saying this with her New York accent makes me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah funny is funny. Joans still got it

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm

This thread is now Chris Brown memes

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm

When people make hilarious but offensive jokes like this, I think to myself "Would I rather live in a society of mature adults who understand that Joan Rivers isn't advocating violence but rather making a joke, we can laugh at that and not be bad people or would I rather live in one where people say 'Hey, Joan, that's not cool because someone might get offended.'" Humor can be biting, and you have to grow a little skin to live in society. And you have to wear protective armor to be on the internet.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Oh wow it was a TestPrep company that posted this?

Clearly it's offensive. And that's one thing if it's some stupid person posting some stupid meme. Whatever, it happens. It's offensive, but everything offends someone, so just ignore it and move on. Yes, it normalizes ridiculous behaviour. Part of a mature, open society is just straight-up allowing offensive jokes. Whatever.

But for someone to be posting this under a TestPrep account? It's totally unprofessional.

1/10 funny, 6/10 offensive. 9/10 unprofessional. If I were BluePrint I'd fire them.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm

bbsg wrote:Oh wow it was a TestPrep company that posted this?

Clearly it's offensive. And that's one thing if it's some stupid person posting some stupid meme. Whatever, it happens. It's offensive, but everything offends someone, so just ignore it and move on. Yes, it normalizes ridiculous behaviour. Part of a mature, open society is just straight-up allowing offensive jokes. Whatever.

But for someone to be posting this under a TestPrep account? It's totally unprofessional.

1/10 funny, 6/10 offensive. 9/10 unprofessional. If I were BluePrint I'd fire them.

This seems like an overreaction.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm

stfu emorystud

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Okay, which one you did this?

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Thank you.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

When people make hilarious but offensive jokes like this, I think to myself "Would I rather live in a society of mature adults who understand that Joan Rivers isn't advocating violence but rather making a joke, we can laugh at that and not be bad people or would I rather live in one where people say 'Hey, Joan, that's not cool because someone might get offended.'" Humor can be biting, and you have to grow a little skin to live in society. And you have to wear protective armor to be on the internet.

Well said.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm

hume85 wrote:

This seems like an overreaction.

I figure it's some entry-level, minimally-paid, casual Social Media job. Getting in arguments with potential clients in a public forum like Facebook is totally a fire-able offense. Posting it would warrant a rebuke, then engaging with complainants in a back-and-forth just takes the cake. I say this as someone who has worked social media positions for various organizations so I'm not entirely talking out my ass here.

To be clear, the 6/10 offensive doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted/discussed/laughed at. Whatever. It just means it shouldn't be posted/discussed/laughed at by an organization's professional social media account. I'm frankly surprised people view my position as at all contentious here.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Obvi inappropriate for a business to post. That's just common sense.

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 pm

are people in law school all this politically correct?

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

stfu emorystud

Ahaha. Don't understand joke/reference. emorystud? Expliquez, svp?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm

crestor wrote:are people in law school all this politically correct?

No, but apparently there's a significant enough proportion that they all have each other's backs.

mephistopheles

Re: .

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:I think that it is incredibly inappropriate to make any jokes related to domestic violence because of the gravity of the situation, and the fact that so many women and families face a similar situation on a daily basis.

without a doubt one of the stupidest things i have ever read.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I've always had a hard time understanding people who assign a normative component to humor. If I involuntarily find an "offensive" joke funny, through no fault of my own necessarily, is my reaction unethical? In a similar way, if I involuntarily find a "moral" joke funny, through no fault of my own necessarily, is my reaction ethical? If I involuntarily find lots of ethical jokes funny, am I then more moral than somebody who involuntarily finds offensive jokes funny?

That self-righteous and somewhat naive attitude offends me. You must be against my rights.
Last edited by suralin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Okay, which one you did this?

Whoever that is has a hilarious understanding of the first amendment based on his other posts

donmincho

Postby donmincho » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm

deleted
Last edited by donmincho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”