offensive post

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ManOfTheMinute

Re: .

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 am

warandpeace wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:OP, you're cute

k guess no one wants to have a serious conversation on here and who would care about women's rights/domestic abuse so nbd.

I thought it was a nice thing to say.

I thought so, as well

Ok, I KINDA side with the OP on this. In a thread supposedly about sexism in LSAT education and making jokes about domestic violence, commenting on someone's appearance is not quiteeee approps

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:41 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Ok, I KINDA side with the OP on this. In a thread supposedly about sexism in LSAT education and making jokes about domestic violence, commenting on someone's appearance is not quiteeee approps

This is what I thought the thread was about: .

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Ok, I KINDA side with the OP on this. In a thread supposedly about sexism in LSAT education and making jokes about domestic violence, commenting on someone's appearance is not quiteeee approps

Bahahahahhahahahah. Fair.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 am

Not funny at all or appropriate, but an eerie reminder of how brutal and real the Patriarchy is.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 am

Last edited by simplycatalina on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:

Last edited by simplycatalina on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:I don't know what I did to piss people off but I was attempting to have a serious conversation and not trying to upset anyone.

Well for starters, you said that I attacked you and have since been unwilling to substantiate that claim in any way. Not indicative of a rationale person out for a serious conversation.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:50 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:

I initially created this thread because I was pissed about an uber-sexist blueprint post, but I guess this is not the place to take my concerns. As someone who has lobbied for women's rights for a while, this thread is kinda sad and disheartening to me.

am surprised he's okay with it, but it's his facebook page. did you want tls to do something? i'm sure most of us agree with you but, yeah

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:I don't know what I did to piss people off but I was attempting to have a serious conversation and not trying to upset anyone.

Well for starters, you said that I attacked you and have since been unwilling to substantiate that claim in any way. Not indicative of a rationale person out for a serious conversation.

Last edited by simplycatalina on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:58 am

warandpeace wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:

I initially created this thread because I was pissed about an uber-sexist blueprint post, but I guess this is not the place to take my concerns. As someone who has lobbied for women's rights for a while, this thread is kinda sad and disheartening to me.

am surprised he's okay with it, but it's his facebook page. did you want tls to do something? i'm sure most of us agree with you but, yeah
Last edited by simplycatalina on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
it's blueprint's facebook page. i just thought i'd post it because i thought other people would also have a problem with it. i'm not trying to get anyone to do anything for me, i'd just like anyone who feels strongly to comment on the blueprint page.

oh. don't have a fb, otherwise would have done so.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:20 am

What's wrong with the picture? It's more insulting to Chris Brown than anything. I guess it sort of makes light of a serious issue, but it's not like it's an endorsement of domestic violence. You realize comedians make jokes about very serious/unfunny things all the time, right? The seriousness of the issue provides the contrast for the humor. Hell, there is a whole genre of dead baby jokes out there. I'd post one, but I get the sense that's not your thing. I guess my point is, you're overreacting here, which is amusing to most casual observers, and does little to further your cause.

EDIT: FWIW, in addition to thinking the picutre wasn't offensive, I also did not think it was funny. So, maybe it wasn't worth posting... but yeah...

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:35 am

"Mockery is a time-honored way of pointing out poor behavior. Just ask Jonathan Swift."
- Blueprint LSAT Preparation

Pretty sure their direct response was more than adequate here.

Also, you know Chris Brown has also punched Frank Ocean and Drake right? Should LGBT Advocacy Groups and Organizations for the Lyrically Challenged, respectively, be up in arms?

Relax. No one is condoning this behavior, quite the opposite. Please tell me everyone in Berkeley isn't like this.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:38 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote: [...] Organizations for the Lyrically Challenged, respectively, be up in arms?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Please tell me everyone in Berkeley isn't like this.

lol

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:

LOL fuck off. As someone who is all for women's rights, it's beyond disingenuous to imply that anyone who doesn't agree with you ITT is somehow against women's rights in general. JFC.

Also, your original post was ironically rather sexist. Men can be against domestic violence to women, and women exist who would disagree with your point, so stop drawing tribal-group lines in the sand.
Last edited by suralin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 am

Did not find the picture offensive or sexist. And not sure how it can be viewed as advocating domestic abuse. Would a Ray Lewis Deer Antler meme be promoting the use of illegal substances in sports? What about a meme making fun of Lance Armstrong? Seems like the Blueprint guy's answer to your comment was perfectly valid.

ETA:

OP, I'm curious why you didn't also comment on this other BP photo: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1

Clearly someone from blueprint is making light of lying and promoting the idea that people should make up and then kill off their fake girlfriends. Disgusting.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 am

Last edited by Betharl on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:06 am

:shock:
Betharl wrote:Alright, I couldn't resist. Here's a joke that's funnier and WAY more offensive than that picture.

What do a catholic priest and silver medalist have in common?

They both came in a little behind.

:shock: :lol: :P

vman21

Postby vman21 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 am

(o '.')-o
Last edited by vman21 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 am

I am so pissed at Blueprint

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 am

Blueprint has posters plastered all over my campus. At first they were funny. Now I'm just annoyed because there are soooo many (most with memes considered less offensive than the chris brown one)

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 am

Last edited by simplycatalina on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 am

Last edited by simplycatalina on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
vman21 wrote:cbarlow, looks like people on here are giving you the space to make an argument. I thought that is what you wanted:

:

This person is engaging with you on the issues, for instance:
Betharl wrote:What's wrong with the picture? It's more insulting to Chris Brown than anything. I guess it sort of makes light of a serious issue, but it's not like it's an endorsement of domestic violence.

Instead of lamenting the hate, why don't you write a convincing rebuttal? I, for one, am actually curious/interested in what you have to say. I am not sure if I agree with you or not, and you wanted to have a serious conversation so...persuade me (and others) that you are right. And ignore the hate, or at least play along with it (nobody is trying to be hateful, really, I think they are just poking fun at you).

If this were the real world, would you roll your eyes, or would you roll up your sleeves and write an interesting argument?

I am (sincerely) looking forward to your remarks.

K here goes. I actually really appreciate this response, so thank you.

I thought that this post was offensive because, while I understand that Chris Brown beat people other than Rihanna, he is primarily known for this assault. I think that it is incredibly inappropriate to make any jokes related to domestic violence because of the gravity of the situation, and the fact that so many women and families face a similar situation on a daily basis. As someone who has worked with survivors of domestic violence, I have seen how it can tear people apart, both physically and psychologically, but yet it's something that 1 in 3 women in the United States faces. In my opinion, making any jokes related to this phenomenon minimizes the tangible and harmful effects it has on a daily basis. It's not that they were trying to be offensive, so I understand the point that some of you guys have made, but I don't think this is the proper place for humor. Domestic violence is never funny, and it is not something to be joked about. Making light of it sends the message to real people who have experienced it that their experiences don't matter, that what happened to them was not serious or harmful, and that other people don't take them seriously. And it send the message to abusers that the abuse is no big deal. Feel free to disagree with me, but like I said, I'm not seeing the humor here.

+1

Can't believe this is somehow a big argument? Were there edits or something that I missed here? What did the LSAT distribution curve have to do with this..?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”