Mentioning that another school gave me a fee waiver? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KFV

New

Mentioning that another school gave me a fee waiver?

Post by KFV » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 am

Hi, I feel like the answer is "no" or would have read this somewhere but I've never seen anyone explicitly say either way so I figured I'd ask. Is it at all useful, when asking for a fee waiver, to point out that another, higher-ranked school offered me one? e.g. mentioning to Duke that Columbia offered one?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Re: Mentioning that another school gave me a fee waiver?

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 am

FWIW, I tried leveraging Georgetown's application fee waiver to negotiate a fee waiver from GW and it didn't work. Each school has its own reason for granting a fee waiver to an applicant.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 am

KFV wrote:Hi, I feel like the answer is "no" or would have read this somewhere but I've never seen anyone explicitly say either way so I figured I'd ask. Is it at all useful, when asking for a fee waiver, to point out that another, higher-ranked school offered me one? e.g. mentioning to Duke that Columbia offered one?
At best it's not going to help you get another fee waiver and at worst it's going to look bad. Don't do it.

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 am

Don't do it.

However, you might try this:

'Hello,

I am a prospective student that is very interested in your school. My numbers are 195/5.0 and I was wondering if i might qualify for an application fee waiver. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
0L'

I sent emails like that to the schools I was interested in and had great luck.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 am

pifhib2 wrote:'Hello,

I am a prospective student that is very interested in your school. My numbers are 195/5.0 and I was wondering if i might qualify for an application fee waiver. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
0L'
++1

Also, Columbia gives out fee waivers like tootsie rolls in a parade. Duke doesn't care.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 am

TripTrip wrote:

Sincerely,
0L'
++1

Also, Columbia gives out fee waivers like tootsie rolls in a parade. Duke doesn't care.
Columbia refused to give me one with a 175/3.89 :(

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 am

bbsg wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Sincerely,
0L'
++1

Columbia refused to give me one with a 175/3.89 :(
LSN says people with numbers under yours got waivers. Does your LSAC account number have 666 or 13 in it? Maybe the adcomm is superstitious.

KFV

New

Post by KFV » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 am

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 am

I'm going to differ just a bit. Ask for one and if they come back with no, go with something to the effect of, "Oh I'm sorry to hear that, I've received a couple from peer institutions and would love to apply to your school as well, unfortunately cost...etc etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 am

wert3813 wrote:I'm going to differ just a bit. Ask for one and if they come back with no, go with something to the effect of, "Oh I'm sorry to hear that, I've received a couple from peer institutions and would love to apply to your school as well, unfortunately cost...etc etc.
Yeah, if they come back with "no," you have nothing to lose.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 am

TripTrip wrote: ++1

I literally sent Columbia 5 emails asking for a fee waiver in different roundabout ways and still ended up paying them. They just don't budge.

Ling520

New

Post by Ling520 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 am

sinfiery wrote:

I literally sent Columbia 5 emails asking for a fee waiver in different roundabout ways and still ended up paying them. They just don't budge.
Weird, because my LSAT was a good bit lower than yours (GPA lower as well) and I received an unsolicited fee waiver from Columbia that stated: On the basis of your performance on the LSAT only, you have been identified as a prospective law school applicant who, on that criterion alone, has demonstrated a capability to contribute to and benefit from a legal education of the first order.

My numbers aren’t all-that but I received unsolicited fee waivers from every T14 except HYS so I wonder what factors influence who gets school waivers. It may be something arbitrary like the date you take your LSAT (e.g., Feb vs Oct).

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm

TripTrip wrote:

Sincerely,
0L'
++1

Are you saying duke doesn't respond to requests? Because they definitely gave me one after I emailed and asked. Had a nice short back and forth with someone on the admissions staff because of it too.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:39 pm

sinfiery wrote:

Same with Chicago. And to add insult to injury, every time I asked for a fee waiver I received a generic response that was literally copied from their website. Grr.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”