Terrified might haunt me: Wrong Employment Date History

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Debt

Terrified might haunt me: Wrong Employment Date History

Postby Debt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 am

Its not off by much, but I guessed on what month I started working and ended on a job and its a little off on my law school app. I applied 2011-2012 cycle (For class of 2015) and deferred. Is this important enough to tell the law school or should I not worry about it. I saw that for the bar they do a pretty indepth search and I never contacted my employer or anything since it was way back in high school and some meaningless job and didn't think much of it at the time I was applying.

What should I do? Do I need to have it changed? Email the school? Don't worry about it?

How would the bar look at it if it was a couple months off?

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Terrified might haunt me: Wrong Employment Date History

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:04 am

Debt wrote:Its not off by much, but I guessed on what month I started working and ended on a job and its a little off on my law school app. I applied 2011-2012 cycle (For class of 2015) and deferred. Is this important enough to tell the law school or should I not worry about it. I saw that for the bar they do a pretty indepth search and I never contacted my employer or anything since it was way back in high school and some meaningless job and didn't think much of it at the time I was applying.

What should I do? Do I need to have it changed? Email the school? Don't worry about it?

Email th school asking to amend your original application. The school will not care, and its better to play it safe with C&F come bar time.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:49 am

I put a grocery store job on my LS applications from HS that lasted a few months. Why? Because forgettable is better than way too much empty space on an application, I think at least.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Debt wrote:Its not off by much, but I guessed on what month I started working and ended on a job and its a little off on my law school app. I applied 2011-2012 cycle (For class of 2015) and deferred. Is this important enough to tell the law school or should I not worry about it. I saw that for the bar they do a pretty indepth search and I never contacted my employer or anything since it was way back in high school and some meaningless job and didn't think much of it at the time I was applying.

Wait, what? You put a job you had in high school on your resume / application? Is this a flame? Or were you an Olympic athlete or other world-class athlete or something? If not, nobody will care what you did in high school or when you did it unless you posted something absolutely amazing that affected your admission cycle.

I don't see what the big deal is. For someone K-JD, it makes sense to show some employment history.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am

dingbat wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

Wait, what? You put a job you had in high school on your resume / application? Is this a flame? Or were you an Olympic athlete or other world-class athlete or something? If not, nobody will care what you did in high school or when you did it unless you posted something absolutely amazing that affected your admission cycle.

I don't see what the big deal is. For someone K-JD, it makes sense to show some employment history.

+1
In fact, a job I worked at in High School was brought up in two of my law school interviews.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

dproduct wrote:In fact, a job I worked at in High School was brought up in two of my law school interviews.

I was sad the day I decided to drop "Chief Ice Cream Maker" off of my resume

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:09 pm

dingbat wrote:
dproduct wrote:In fact, a job I worked at in High School was brought up in two of my law school interviews.

I was sad the day I decided to drop "Chief Ice Cream Maker" off of my resume

That is an epic title.

redline380

Postby redline380 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 pm

i'd say if you've had ten jobs from hs to law school, trim the fat and only put on a few experiences. i made sure to include a hs job in my resume since i talked about it in my ps. my high school job, which was telemarketing for political causes, helped me decide on a politcal science b.a., which helped me decide on going to law school. someone tell me why i should keep that off my resume.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Personally, I ended up adding a very small one-liner of “Eagle Scout” at the bottom of my resume because I earned that during high school, but I was still weary to do even that. I suppose that if the job had something to do with what you have been doing and continue to want to do (computer programmer in high school gets a comp sci or engineering degree in college and stresses they want to go into IP law in their law school application), it might make sense… but I didn’t write that I had worked at Papa John’s during the summer of my junior year in high school.

+1

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:01 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Hmmm... I suppose I am applying business sense to law school admissions again.

Normally, it is not advisable to put high-school stuff on one's resume unless it was really spectacular. I’ve worked with professional resume editors and been involved in the interviewing process at the headquarters of one of the biggest automakers in the world, and both viewed run-of-the-mill high-school jobs and things of the sort as “unnecessary filler,” even for K-JD candidates. (The latter had a tendency to overlook applicants who used more than a couple of lines of mediocre high-school work experience on their resumes; their logic was that if an applicant hadn’t done enough in college between work and research to fill up a single page, then they weren’t proactive.)

Personally, I ended up adding a very small one-liner of “Eagle Scout” at the bottom of my resume because I earned that during high school, but I was still weary to do even that. I suppose that if the job had something to do with what you have been doing and continue to want to do (computer programmer in high school gets a comp sci or engineering degree in college and stresses they want to go into IP law in their law school application), it might make sense… but I didn’t write that I had worked at Papa John’s during the summer of my junior year in high school.

A simple Google search will bring up many (random-and-therefore-not-so-reliable,-but-still) pages stating this same logic. (1, 2, 3, 4...)

Anyway, I honestly think that in this case less is more, but obviously it won’t hurt a strong applicant too much because you guys have already been accepted to some stellar schools with this information on your resumes.

From the OP's post I don't think he put it on a resume but rather in the employment section of the application itself, which does ask you for all of your work history.

Debt

Postby Debt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 pm

I actually put it on both. I am a K-JD and graduated extremely quickly so I put all my work history down. But whether it should be on a resume or not is irrelvant to the subject since it is over and done with (no it didn't hurt my cycle).

But what do I do now? Do I need to email the school so I don't have C & F issues or does this not matter too much?

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debt

Postby Debt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 am

Yes I estimated. I still honestly don't know what specific month I started or ended on, but it looked like it was supposed to be precise and I definately just guessed and it might be off. I just wanna make sure it won't be a C & F issue because if something like this held me from passing the bar I would be horrified.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”