Thanks - please delete

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jj848

Thanks - please delete

Postby jj848 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 am

Last edited by jj848 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RodneyRuxin

Re: DWLS addendum, sound sincere enough?

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 am

jj848 wrote:Here is my addendum, does it sound sincere and remorseful enough? Also, should it be double spaced with Times New Roman 12pt or some other font?

In December, 1998, I was pulled over in my mother’s car for an expired plate and was ticketed and for misdemeanor driving with license suspended. I failed to pay the fine on a seat belt violation approximately 6 months prior to this arrest. I pleaded guilty to the ticket and paid the fines for the seat belt ticket, the expired plate, and the driving with license suspended. This was extremely irresponsible of me and my youthful decision making that I am still ashamed of to this day.

Give specifics (instead of approx 6 mo include the date/month)

Also, you end on being ashamed and irresponsible. A sentence how you learned would help. I did times new roman--also helpful to put your LSAC # on there because some schools ask for it and it couldn't hurt.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:36 am

No need to say you're ashamed.

jj848

Postby jj848 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:36 am

Edited per Rodney and cinephile suggestions - Thanks for your input.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:39 am

This was extremely irresponsible of me and my youthful decision making.

Kind of awkward sentence. irresponsible of me and my youthful decision making.
I don't think your youthful decision making is an actor ( :lol: ) but it could be with this sentence.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:10 am

Cut the remorseful language. It's awkward and insincere, and it sounds ridiculous when paired with such minor stuff from so long ago. These aren't DUIs. They're not even violations that imperiled other drivers in any way. Just state the facts.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:15 am

Ti Malice wrote:Cut the remorseful language. It's awkward and insincere, and it sounds ridiculous when paired with such minor stuff. These aren't DUIs. They're not even violations that imperiled other drivers in any way.

TITCR.

It comes off as if you don't have the judgment to understand when you've done something genuinely wrong. The ability to make that delineation is important. Explain what happened, say it hasn't and won't happen again by you simply staying on top of details, end of story.

redline380

Postby redline380 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 am

dude, that's kinda minor shit. but if i were the adcomm i'd be wondering why you DL was suspended in the first place. want an addendum for traffic violations? here's mine-
Character and Fitness Explanation I have been convicted of numerous traffic violations, including two speeding tickets, two
unnecessary acceleration tickets, and two seat belt tickets. These moving violations, all petty misdemeanors, have occurred since the year 2006 up until 2009, with the speeding tickets taking place on 03/13/2006 and 08/15/2007, ages 17 and 18, the unnecessary acceleration tickets taking place on 08/16/2006 and 08/01/2007, ages 17 and 18, and the seat belt tickets taking place on
11/02/2009 and 11/25/2009, age 20. All of these violations were pled guilty to and payable without trial. I cannot comment on these violations because I do not remember individual circumstances besides they were all routine traffic stops. I also received the misdemeanor charges of minor consumption on 07/01/2009, age 20, which was payable without appearance,
and a DWI on 12/13/2010 age 21. I understand these charges are not to be taken lightly. While reflecting on my driving record today, I realize that something had to change. All of these violations culminated with the most serious charge, the DWI. It was at that time that I decided I could no longer drive in an
inattentive fashion. After I plead guilty to the DWI, I made a promise to myself that I would
never commit such an act again. I received two years of probation for that charge, being released
a year early because I have not committed another same or similar offense. I complied with
every request of the court including attending a MADD impact panel and undergoing a chemical dependency evaluation.
I have made a conscious effort to change my actions for good when I consider my driving record. The DWI I received is what I consider to be by far the single largest mistake I have made. Although I cannot rescind any of my actions, I can ensure myself that I will not repeat them. I would like to consider my past violations lessons learned. I know that none of these prior actions are indicators of how I will act in the future because of how I have changed my habits to
better accommodate a future for myself and others around me.

haven't so much as gotten ticketed for jaywalking since

jj848

Postby jj848 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Last edited by jj848 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Just read the title and I thought to myself, you should never ask does this sound sincere enough. Either you're sincere or you aren't, but there's never such as thing as sincere enough. And don't ask how it sounds, just say what you mean. You didn't kill anyone, you know, there's no reason to be so remorseful. You forgot to pay a fine, then you paid it, and it's over.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

jj848 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Cut the remorseful language. It's awkward and insincere, and it sounds ridiculous when paired with such minor stuff from so long ago. These aren't DUIs. They're not even violations that imperiled other drivers in any way. Just state the facts.

Changed to this. Do I even need the line in red?

In December, 1998, I was pulled over in my mother’s car for an expired plate and was ticketed for misdemeanor driving with license suspended. My driver’s license was suspended because I failed to pay the fine on a seat belt violation on September 9, 1998. I pleaded guilty to the ticket and paid the fines for the seat belt ticket, the expired plate, and the driving with license suspended. This has not happened again as I have learned the importance of taking responsibility and paying traffic fines on time.

No, cut the line in red. Contrary to common thinking on TLS, there definitely are times when a thorough explanation and some kind of believable expression of regret/lessons learned are necessary. This is not one of those times.

redline380

Postby redline380 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 am

Ti Malice wrote:
jj848 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Cut the remorseful language. It's awkward and insincere, and it sounds ridiculous when paired with such minor stuff from so long ago. These aren't DUIs. They're not even violations that imperiled other drivers in any way. Just state the facts.

Changed to this. Do I even need the line in red?

In December, 1998, I was pulled over in my mother’s car for an expired plate and was ticketed for misdemeanor driving with license suspended. My driver’s license was suspended because I failed to pay the fine on a seat belt violation on September 9, 1998. I pleaded guilty to the ticket and paid the fines for the seat belt ticket, the expired plate, and the driving with license suspended. This has not happened again as I have learned the importance of taking responsibility and paying traffic fines on time.

No, cut the line in red. Contrary to common thinking on TLS, there definitely are times when a thorough explanation and some kind of believable expression of regret/lessons learned are necessary. This is not one of those times.

agreed. you should have known before that happend that it was of importance to pay fines and not drive with a suspended license. that's what they are thinking. you could try to spin it like "I realize my actions were irresponsible, and I have learned from them." But from the utter lack of substantial "criminal" (note: those are most likely not criminal offenses, but I dont know your state laws) history, I would omit that line. they know that you know you fucked up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”