confused about Columbia e-mail

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laura2011

confused about Columbia e-mail

Postby laura2011 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Just got an e-mail from Columbia Law School to attend a webinar. They can't seriously be so desperate for apps they would invite 168 non-URMs to this kind of stuff?? It's not like I got a shot at Columbia anyway, is it???

guinness1547

Re: confused about Columbia e-mail

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

laura2011 wrote:Just got an e-mail from Columbia Law School to attend a webinar. They can't seriously be so desperate for apps they would invite 168 non-URMs to this kind of stuff?? It's not like I got a shot at Columbia anyway, is it???

No. You don't and I don't.

yupyup

Postby yupyup » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I've also been getting emails and snail mail letters from them encouraging me to apply. I'm 2.8/166. :shock:

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 pm

I once had a slight interest in a Post-Bacc program,

Ever since I receive about 3-4 emails a month encouraging me to apply, etc, etc...

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm

School rankings are positively affected by the number of rejected applicants. Its the #1 reason I encourage everyone to apply to my alma mater. I like to do my part.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:36 pm

CROOKS!!!!

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I dunno.

Guys, this is the fewest number of per-school applicants ever...since these figures began to be recorded.

Lowest since 1983. And there were over 30 fewer law schools back then. That's 3 decades ago. 3 fucking decades.

Law school classes are probably larger than they were in 1983.

It's apocalyptic.

Basically, it's apocalyptic. I think every school is adopting the splitter-filler model: accept splitters, lavish money on median-improving applicants, and fill the bottom half with double-below median schleps to pad revenue.

Welcome to the 2013 cycle.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 pm

manofjustice wrote:I dunno.

Guys, this is the fewest number of per-school applicants ever...since these figures began to be recorded.

Lowest since 1983. And there were over 30 fewer law schools back then. That's 3 decades ago. 3 fucking decades.

It's apocalyptic.

Basically, it's apocalyptic. I think every school is adopting the splitter-filler model: accept splitters, lavish money on median-improving applicants, and fill the bottom half with double-below median schleps to pad revenue.

I've seen very little love for the non-splitters so far

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 pm

168 isn't a poor LSAT score.

Are we really so twisted?

I think Columbia sent emails with notifications of waivers earlier in season to sub-170ers noting that the waivers are for LSAT alone.

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 pm

I received that e-mail too. It's just kind of amazing that the schools spend money on sending things out to presumptive rejects. Well, e-mail I understand but today I received a packet from Duke Law in the mail (they also sent me an e-mail). It's a beautiful brochure but there's no way I'd be accepted (I have a 164 and a 3.82)

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:

It's apocalyptic.

Waitlist or ding? A world of difference....a lot of waitlisters turned into acceptances later in last cycle. And that's strategically consistent: if schools are hungry, you hold back so as not to waste a green diamond. Also, coordination phenomenon: schools will signal to one another "let's all waitlist the borderlines so that they don't have scholarship negotiation power." Course, the simple solution to that is to call their bluff.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm

manofjustice wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:

It's apocalyptic.

Waitlist or ding? A world of difference....a lot of waitlisters turned into acceptances later in last cycle. And that's strategically consistent: if schools are hungry, you hold back so as not to waste a green diamond. Also, coordination phenomenon: schools will signal to one another "let's all waitlist the borderlines so that they don't have scholarship negotiation power." Course, the simple solution to that is to call their bluff. That's what I did.

I have been dinged already at both UVA and Penn. I wasn't surprised but I think per TLS wisdom I maybe should have been WL'd. (Maybe not though, 'cause as a 167/3.74 I'm well below both medians).

Anyway, I have been WL'd at Columbia after ED'ing (to my surprise). And maybe I'm speaking too soon; maybe I'll get that love I'm hoping for at Duke or Michigan.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 pm

How did you call the bluff?

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 pm

It's apocalyptic.

I hope so badly that you are correct.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:34 pm

justonemoregame wrote:How did you call the bluff?

Balls. Gotta be prepared to lose it.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 pm

laura2011 wrote:Just got an e-mail from Columbia Law School to attend a webinar. They can't seriously be so desperate for apps they would invite 168 non-URMs to this kind of stuff?? It's not like I got a shot at Columbia anyway, is it???

Lower 160 than yours and I got it as well. It's like when UVA sent me a fee waiver. I'll still apply because it's free (except for LSAC fee) but I'll still say **** you to them for teasing me.

DON'T TEASE ME BRO!

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 am

~ 3.1 and ~160 and I keep getting shit from Columbia, including a fee waiver. I thought about playing into the tease until i saw I would have to get a Dean's letter to deal with some shenanigans from freshman year at a school I transferred out of. Not doing actual work/taking to actual people just to get autodinged.

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am

Also, I should add that the Duke email I received included information about their Accelerated Early Decision program. When I went to register for it, however, I was told I didn't qualify. Duke trollin' hard, brah. :roll:

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

So after i got the e-mail I asked for a fee waiver. They didn't even e-mail me back. What dicks. :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”