LSAT Addendum needed?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

LSAT Addendum needed?

Postby btoll7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm torn when it comes to including an addendum. Some people/websites advise against sending them and others say it's a good idea to send one just in case. I know it works case-by-case, so here's my info:

I took the LSAT in June 2012 and canceled because I was pretty sick and I didn't feel my score would be an accurate representation of my abilities. I then took the LSAT in October 2012 and received a 153. I went to Ohio State and they switched over from quarters to semesters and I didn't know what to expect for the semester. I took 6 classes, had meetings and volunteered for my pre law fraternity each week, and held a job as well. It was also my last semester before graduating. I didn't realize I wouldn't have much time to prepare for the LSAT and I didn't think my score of 153 was showing my full potential. So I'm taking the LSAT again in February.

I know 3 times doesn't look the greatest, but I'd rather try and do better than sit back and accept an unsatisfactory score. I'm just not sure which, or if either, of those situations needs an addendum. I don't want to seem like I'm making up excuses.

Also, some schools (specifically UCLA and USC) ask you if you think your LSAT score accurately represents your future promise. I feel like I should include a statement to explain that even if under typical circumstances it's not beneficial to include an addendum.

As you can see I'm very conflicted on what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to anyone who is willing help me out!

Re: LSAT Addendum needed?

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Your best bet is to pretend like that Cancel -> 153 never happened. That looks awful on its own. If you manage to put up a significantly better score this time around, talk about why the 153 wasn't representative of your abilities. Hopefully your new LSAT backs that up. If you only manage a <160, it's not worth an addendum.

Re: LSAT Addendum needed?

Postby vman21 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 am

(o '.')-o

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”