How much does a LOCI help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
e_mac7

How much does a LOCI help?

Postby e_mac7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi,
if you're waitlisted how much does sending in a LOCI help, does a time frame vary from school to school as to when they process your LOCI and re-visit your application?

Also, how many LOCIs should you send, once every few weeks (3 -4 wks) or is that too over the top?

thelawschoolproject

Re: How much does a LOCI help?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Please don't send one every three weeks.

A LOCI is what it is, a letter expressing your continued interest. IMO, a school doesn't read it and instantly just to decide to admit you. However, upon receiving a letter from an applicant, it is something else that they can add to your file. Moreover, it shows that you're still interested in their program, which puts you in a positive light. However, if the school is just trying to maintain medians and your numbers don't help with that, it's unlikely that a LOCI will do much for you.

I sent one LOCI to each school I was WLd to and was offered a spot off of 3 of them. Also, the normally don't take off of the waitlist until May-June.

When you write it, you need to make sure it is very tailored to the school. I wrote a specific letter to each place I was still interested in attending.

Good luck.

e_mac7

Postby e_mac7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks. Yea, I've heard many differing opinions about how many you should send in, so I wanted to make sure.

clerker

Postby clerker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:05 pm

e_mac7 wrote:Thanks. Yea, I've heard many differing opinions about how many you should send in, so I wanted to make sure.

The truth is, there is no bright line. I sent in LOCIs every 3 or 4 weeks and I got in off the waitlist at my dream school. The thing is, some things that adcoms might find very annoying might very well be the thing that keeps you on their mind. Of course, you don't want to go so far as to make them question your judgment; that's why you wouldn't want to send one every day. But I don't think every 3 to 4 weeks is unreasonable, provided that you give them a good reason for constantly updating them.

For me, every time I got some stupid award at work, I would write to them and let them know. Kind of like popping in and saying "hey, just wanted to let you know how much ass i'm kicking at my job, btw would love to attend your school." I don't know how much of an effect it had, but it certainly wasn't so frequent that it prevented me from getting admitted. In fact, several hours after I faxed in my last LOCI, I received an e-mail that I was admitted.

In the end, be clever about it and use your judgment.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”