should I use this LoR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PRgradBYU

Re: should I use this LoR?

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:46 pm

This is literally the most generic, non-personalized PS ever. I'm positive you can do better than this, man.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:07 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:This is literally the most generic, non-personalized PS ever. I'm positive you can do better than this, man.

PS? It was an LoR written by a professor. I wish I could have wrote it and have him just sign off on it, lol.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:11 pm

Please tell me that this is not still an active debate. If you send that in, 90% of adcoms will deny you for not knowing your profs nearly well enough to see this coming.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:15 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Please tell me that this is not still an active debate. If you send that in, 90% of adcoms will deny you for not knowing your profs nearly well enough to see this coming.

this is not still an active debate

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Please tell me that this is not still an active debate. If you send that in, 90% of adcoms will deny you for not knowing your profs nearly well enough to see this coming.

Let's not get carried away. Yeah this LoR is mediocre but unless OP is trying to get into Yale it's not going to be that bad (like contributing to an autoding). It's not like it has anything negative to say.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:42 am

itachiuchiha wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:This is literally the most generic, non-personalized PS ever. I'm positive you can do better than this, man.

PS? It was an LoR written by a professor. I wish I could have wrote it and have him just sign off on it, lol.

Wow. I've been out of it all day, as evidenced by this. My bad.

Crowing wrote:

Let's not get carried away. Yeah this LoR is mediocre but unless OP is trying to get into Yale it's not going to be that bad (like contributing to an autoding). It's not like it has anything negative to say.

+1. I can't imagine an adcom denying an otherwise competitive applicant because of a mediocre (or even a crappy) LoR.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 am

Crowing wrote:

Agreed. But I think the advice was a good one: OP should at least try to find a better recommender. Otherwise this can certainly be a safety LOR. Nothing particularly wrong with it.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 am

Crowing wrote:

Exactly. This is a bad LOR for five schools at most. It's a non-factor everywhere else.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”